Are you sick of Korea already?

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
For me, I see Forgotten War as a distinct form of ASL play. I expect to treat it as I do Night and PTO - focusing on it as a primary option for about a year and then returning to it in due course...Minds you I said that about PTO in 2010 and have been playing at least 70-75% of my ASL in PTO ever since.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan,

RPT 142...SSR 4 states "The American 9-2 is Heroic...."....but the US OB shows no 9-2, only a 10-2 and a 8-1. What are the correct US leaders?

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Evan,

RPT 142...SSR 4 states "The American 9-2 is Heroic...."....but the US OB shows no 9-2, only a 10-2 and a 8-1. What are the correct US leaders?
In the thread announcing the Korean scenario pack, that question came up. Evan answered that the OB is correct; the SSR should state 10-2.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Evan,

That is errata. As stated earlier, the OB is correct. The Coordinating instruction should say "10-2" instead of "9-2", All copies of Rally Point that were shipped after that errata was announced have corrected scenario cards.

Evan Sherry
Editor, Rally Point

Kenneth P. Katz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just played RPT142 Commander for a Day with Mike Sullivan. I had the Americans and Mike had the NorKs. Mike won but it was very close. It's an interesting little situation. The Americans appear strong with Elite and First Line Squads and the 10-2 leader, but they need to spread out to defend a large area so the NorKs can concentrate in one sector and achieve local superiority. Also the Early War US Army rules and the Korean War bazooka rules make the American force less effective and more brittle than first appearances would suggest. Read the VC carefully. That the NorKs win if >= 4 multi-hex buildings are "devoid" of American MMCs is subtly different than occupying said buildings, and the difference can spell the diffference between victory and defeat.

Nice job, Evan.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you ASLers are still up for more Korea. The Tampa ASL Group is hard at work on Rally Point #17: Special Study II of the Korean War. Once we print this volume, we will have produced more Korean scenarios than MMP.

I must admit that I am somewhat surprised by the lack of discussion among ASLers regarding Forgotten War. I see it as a much more interesting theater of operations than say, Finland. I believe that not having Korean War components available in VASL has much to do with this.

Having now been involved in the playtest of twenty Korean War scenarios and the design of around thirty, I will say that there is a definite feel to Korean War scenarios. It requires a different mindset than that of WWII east or west front actions.

I can best sum up my general view of combat in Korea in one word. That word is "helplessness". Now that word alone does nothing to encourage players to play in Korea. But, as an experienced ASLer, you've got to recognize it and then adapt your thinking and playing style and your general preconceived notions about how to play ASL in order to truly enjoy and even more importantly - to win a scenario set in Korea. Play a daggone Korean War scenario! Get used to Korea. Then quit crying about Korea (and how bad your vagina hurts, Davis) and keep on playing in Korea until you understand how to deal with the unique tactical situations.

After playing one or two scenarios set in Korea, a player may very well lose badly and want to give up on playing Korean War scenarios altogether. But after twenty scenarios, the Tampa Group has adapted to the unique situations of combat in Korea and we now have a better understanding of the rules and how to win in Korea. While we are anxious to get back to WWII, we know that over the next few years players will develop a better understanding and appreciation for combat in Korea and that our efforts will have been part of that.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can’t get enough Korea myself. It’s definitely different, just as PTO was different, DTO was different....

But that’s a good thing. Variety is one of the best things about ASL.

Go try it!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But KFW is available for VASL. Maps and a draft extension as a matter of fact. The best way to get the extension incorporated into core VASL is to play more Korea, then let me know what bugs you found in the extension. I’ll get ‘em fixed ASAP.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hope you ASLers are still up for more Korea. The Tampa ASL Group is hard at work on Rally Point #17: Special Study II of the Korean War. Once we print this volume, we will have produced more Korean scenarios than MMP.
Thanks for all that you are doing to try to nudge Korea into wider play. I lobby for Korea every time that I pair up for a match, but seldom get enthusiastic takers. It's a fascinating conflict that seems to fit well with ASL mechanics, so hoping that more players will give it a go (and looking forward to the new Rally Point).

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You, and I am sure many other designers will be coming out with their versions of a very limited amount of actions during the KW IE same actions different designers. I guess we will see the standard array of one or two board scenarios, limited turns and limited counter mix basically nothing extraordinary just very standard designs. I cant wait lol.
Scott if you just make your signature line say "I hate all new designs and the idiots who design them", you can reduce the number of your posts quite a lot.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Scott if you just make your signature line say "I hate all new designs and the idiots who design them", you can reduce the number of your posts quite a lot.
I think that would not reduce the number, just the variety. All his posts would be, "See my .sig".

JR

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can best sum up my general view of combat in Korea in one word. That word is "helplessness". Now that word alone does nothing to encourage players to play in Korea. But, as an experienced ASLer, you've got to recognize it and then adapt your thinking and playing style and your general preconceived notions about how to play ASL in order to truly enjoy and even more importantly - to win a scenario set in Korea. Play a daggone Korean War scenario! Get used to Korea. Then quit crying about Korea (and how bad your vagina hurts, Davis) and keep on playing in Korea until you understand how to deal with the unique tactical situations.
Might be a good article in there. How To Play Korea.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Given the other nations involved I would hope to see some good designs from ASL players with access to their countries' narratives of the conflct. Any North Korean players ☺?