SMOKE and Burning Wrecks Questions

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
#1) I've always played that a Burning Wreck creates SMOKE in that hex/location and up to and including "Level 4" (assuming Ground Level Burning Wreck). However, playing today, the other player was reading B25.2 and we're trying to clarify the rule. It seems to imply that the level the Burning Wreck is in does not create SMOKE but the four levels above do, that is, from Level 1 to Level 5.

25.2 SMOKE: Any Burning Wreck or terrain Blaze is automatically shrouded by smoke up to four levels [EXC: none in Heavy Winds (25.63); two levels in a Mild Breeze (A24.4)] above the level of the fire in that hex, so no actual smoke counters need be placed on those fires. However, Wreck Blazes cause a +2 Hindrance DRM rather than the +3 Hindrance DRM of regular smoke.

Yes/no/maybe so?

#2) Does a Burning Wreck offer the +1 TEM for Infantry, just like a normal vehicle would? I presume yes.

Thanks!

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
#1) I've always played that a Burning Wreck creates SMOKE in that hex/location and up to and including "Level 4" (assuming Ground Level Burning Wreck). However, playing today, the other player was reading B25.2 and we're trying to clarify the rule. It seems to imply that the level the Burning Wreck is in does not create SMOKE but the four levels above do, that is, from Level 1 to Level 5.

25.2 SMOKE: Any Burning Wreck or terrain Blaze is automatically shrouded by smoke up to four levels [EXC: none in Heavy Winds (25.63); two levels in a Mild Breeze (A24.4)] above the level of the fire in that hex, so no actual smoke counters need be placed on those fires. However, Wreck Blazes cause a +2 Hindrance DRM rather than the +3 Hindrance DRM of regular smoke.

Yes/no/maybe so?

#2) Does a Burning Wreck offer the +1 TEM for Infantry, just like a normal vehicle would? I presume yes.

Thanks!
Smoke goes from level 0, 1, 2, 3 so tops out on level 4.

No tem from burning wrecks, only smoke.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Yes/no/maybe so?

Thanks!
What they are trying to say, is that the smoke does not obscure any levels below the tank.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Kind of right but the smoke does not include level 4.This is very similar and almost the exact wording of the smoke example in A24.4"...since non-WP Smoke rises up to, but not through, the second level above the base level of the hex...."... as Smoke is a level 2 hindrance & .B25.2 SMOKE: "Any Burning Wreck or terrain Blaze is automatically shrouded by smoke up to four levels...".

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Kind of right but the smoke does not include level 4.This is very similar and almost the exact wording of the smoke example in A24.4"...since non-WP Smoke rises up to, but not through, the second level above the base level of the hex...."... as Smoke is a level 2 hindrance & .B25.2 SMOKE: "Any Burning Wreck or terrain Blaze is automatically shrouded by smoke up to four levels...".
Yes that's what I meant. The top of the smoke is on level 4, I.e. line of sight from and to level 4 locations don't go through the smoke.