New RB & RO Maps...when we gonna get them? Crack the whip on them map elves!!! :-)

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...not yet. Don't even have my copy yet. Sometimes the waiting for something is more enjoyable than getting the something, no? :)
Whaaaa...

Anticipation is not my cup of tea. ?

I have the map out and was going through the CG last night...I had to mop the floor to get all the salivation up.

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started this project today. Gonna take some time. Lots of buildings. Converting the RO map first. Then I’ll update the existing RB map as required. Too early in the project to offer an accurate estimate of completion. Let’s just start by guesstimating June 1. That may be overly optimistic. I doubt it’s overly pessimistic.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started this project today. Gonna take some time. Lots of buildings. Converting the RO map first. Then I’ll update the existing RB map as required. Too early in the project to offer an accurate estimate of completion. Let’s just start by guesstimating June 1. That may be overly optimistic. I doubt it’s overly pessimistic.
But I have extreme confidence in you Big Al...U. Duh. Manz.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the heads up, and a big THANK YOU for all you and the other VASLers do for the hobby!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still targeting a June 1 release. A bare bones draft version is done. I’d appreciate some other eyes on it for proofing. It’s useable but take the necessary steps to protect your games in progress as it will change.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Still targeting a June 1 release. A bare bones draft version is done. I’d appreciate some other eyes on it for proofing. It’s useable but take the necessary steps to protect your games in progress as it will change.

Since I need VASL to play, Im in for the proofing help.

Ive found one discrepancy, easily visible in O48 and W47, the hex center dot is off ever so slightly. I guess that means its off in every hex, but its not easy to spot....its not off by much......

BUT IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Thank you SOOO much

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since I need VASL to play, Im in for the proofing help.

Ive found one discrepancy, easily visible in O48 and W47, the hex center dot is off ever so slightly. I guess that means its off in every hex, but its not easy to spot....its not off by much......

BUT IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Thank you SOOO much
Thanks for proofing! Much appreciated.

The VASL hexgrid isn't perfectly "square". I'll be Kibler's map is though. With the scaling and slight realignment, you may notice some differences in hex alignment here and there but as you said, the difference is small. Fix one, invoke others, so this is not really fixable. Good eye though!

So which of the Russian street names did I mispell :)

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for proofing! Much appreciated.

The VASL hexgrid isn't perfectly "square". I'll be Kibler's map is though. With the scaling and slight realignment, you may notice some differences in hex alignment here and there but as you said, the difference is small. Fix one, invoke others, so this is not really fixable. Good eye though!

So which of the Russian street names did I mispell :)
Ouch, thought you worked off a scan.

RB and RO do not line up, off by half a hex
V0 (RO) V45 (RB) different terrain
JJO (RO) JJ45 (RB) dif terrain. Although it would be pretty rare that this hex would ever be involved in fighting.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Getting close to a draft release...

Won't have all the bells and whistles (LOS, overlays, etc) but it will be playable. bdRO is cropped from 1-48 in the above screen. Fits nicely with the 3rd iteration of the bdRB.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
View attachment 8939

Getting close to a draft release...

Won't have all the bells and whistles (LOS, overlays, etc) but it will be playable. bdRO is cropped from 1-48 in the above screen. Fits nicely with the 3rd iteration of the bdRB.
At least we have something to start with. Just laying out the starting OB for CG 1 for RO. If the map works then use it I say!!!!

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Draft versions of VASL bdRBv3 and VASL bdRO are available here:

The RBv3 board needs some proofing so thanks in advance for that. The RO board has been proofed but if you find something let me know.

Both boards are bare bones...i.e. no LOS, overlays, ground snow, etc. Even if you find options for these, you probably won't like the results.

To combine the boards load bdRBv3, add a row and add bdRO. Crop bdRO like so:

This probably isn't the best place to release these but it's getting late and there's carrot cake waiting so I don't want to keep 'em from you further. I'll figure out a more visible place to put 'em later. In the meantime, tell your friends.

Shoot me GS emails with corrections. Thanks much.

Al

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

The RBv3 board needs some proofing so thanks in advance for that. The RO board has been proofed but if you find something let me know.

Both boards are bare bones...i.e. no LOS, overlays, ground snow, etc. Even if you find options for these, you probably won't like the results.

View attachment 8958

This probably isn't the best place to release these but it's getting late and there's carrot cake waiting so I don't want to keep 'em from you further. I'll figure out a more visible place to put 'em later. In the meantime, tell your friends.

Al
Thank you for this Al. I have a buddy working on a map for me and his descriptions of what is involved makes me doubly grateful for the work of the map elves.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Thanks for the maps guys!

First thing that jumped out at me is the fact that RBver3 and RO are off by half a hex from being able to be lined up for playing on both maps at the same time.

FWIW.....I'm thinking the overlap would be problematic for VASL?

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the maps guys!

First thing that jumped out at me is the fact that RBver3 and RO are off by half a hex from being able to be lined up for playing on both maps at the same time.

FWIW.....I'm thinking the overlap would be problematic for VASL?
Hey Jazz, crop as per instructions in post 32.

FrankJ

Cap'n Crud
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

View attachment 8958

Al
I was only able to download a text file from this link. Maybe something in my settings is blocking the full download of the map file.