BG Counters 19:Pz T28 746(r), 25a Pz T28 746(r)-L, 25a Pz T28E 746(r) & 25a Pz T28E 746(r)-L, Pz T34M40 747(r) & Pz T34M41 747(r), & Pz T34/85 747(r)

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
8563856485658566856785688569857025a Pz T28 746(r), 25a Pz T28 746(r)-L, 25a Pz T28E 746(r) & 25a Pz T28E 746(r)-L:
With the denomination Beutepanzerkampfwagen T-28 746(r), this represents the Soviet medium tank T-28 Soviet Vehicle Note 11 and 11.1Note 11. These vehicles were unreliable in Soviet hands where spare parts were sometimes available, they were in an even more parlous state in captured use. It is not known if they were ever used by the German Army in action. At least one was captured and employed by Hungarian forces.

See also German Vehicle Note N, BG.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
857185728573857425b Pz T34M40 747(r) & Pz T34M41 747(r):
Of course the Germans adopted use of the famed T-34 (Soviet Vehicle Note 13 & Note 14) despite it's failings, it was often better than any vehicle they could put into the field. Whilst they decried its rough finish and unreliability, they could not deny its protection and cross country performance.
As the war had the Soviets at a disadvantage until December 1942, many T-34’s were captured during the Blitzkrieg. Abandoned tanks were often found in somewhat good condition. Mechanical problems were likely the cause, due to the still relatively new design, hasty production with poor quality standards, lack of maintenance and fuel, and overall rough service conditions. Entire units were also captured or even depots which had not been evacuated on time. Additionally, some tanks were disabled in combat, but not beyond repair. During this process, the Wehrmacht incorporated an estimated 400 tanks of nearly all models, from the model 1940 to the 1943, under the name of Panzerkampfwagen T-34(r) or T-34 747(r) for the T-34/76. Since the Germans were impressed by these tanks (Guderian, Von Kleist and Blumentritt among others), they took all possible means to restore and return to battle these valuable trophies. Most of the time, few changes were made except for the proper German camouflage and very large Balkenkreuz’ painted on the turret, hull and roof. Large swastikas were also used to make the tanks recognizable by the German tank and air crews. The Germans also added equipment and, eventually, additional armored plates.
The first Axis user of the T-34 was the regular Wehrmacht, which incorporated many model 1941s and far more model 1942s in the 1st, 8th and 11th Panzer Divisions during the summer of 1941. All captured units were sent to a Riga workshop, but also Marienfeld and Goerlitz, receiving new radios, fitted with a German-style commander cupola, new hatches and other minor equipment. Many badly damaged T-34s were kept for spare parts. Some turrets were removed and mounted on the many armored trains (Panzerzug) which roamed the Eastern front. Other served as training tanks, but the majority were used in regular units and some by the SS units. They added Schürzen (armor skirts), Notek lights, storage boxes, tools, radios and commander cupolas removed from damaged Panzer IIIs and IVs. These units also incorporated a handful of supply T-34 conversions (Munitionspanzer T-34(r)) and a few AA conversions (Flakpanzer T-34(r)). The Ukrainian "Liberation Force" of Vlasov also used many captured T-34s, which showed a blazon with the traditional St Andrew cross and "ROA" (for Russian Volunteer Army).

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
8575857625b Pz T34/85 747(r):
Although captured in relatively small numbers, this vehicle was as effective against its former owners as it had been for them. Soviet Vehicle Note 18.
There are unconfirmed reports of 7th Panzer Division capturing at least one T-34-85. Reportedly the T-34-85 was fitted with a German 88mm gun (KwK 36) that was removed from a damaged Tiger I and it was used during the East Prussian Offensive. There was no picture of the vehicle and it is unknown if it was ever actually created
See also German Vehicle Note BG.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
View attachment 8571View attachment 8572View attachment 8573View attachment 857425b Pz T34M40 747(r) & Pz T34M41 747(r):
Of course the Germans adopted use of the famed T-34 (Soviet Vehicle Note 13 & Note 14) despite it's failings, it was often better than any vehicle they could put into the field. Whilst they decried its rough finish and unreliability, they could not deny its protection and cross country performance.
As the war had the Soviets at a disadvantage until December 1942, many T-34’s were captured during the Blitzkrieg. Abandoned tanks were often found in somewhat good condition. Mechanical problems were likely the cause, due to the still relatively new design, hasty production with poor quality standards, lack of maintenance and fuel, and overall rough service conditions. Entire units were also captured or even depots which had not been evacuated on time. Additionally, some tanks were disabled in combat, but not beyond repair. During this process, the Wehrmacht incorporated an estimated 400 tanks of nearly all models, from the model 1940 to the 1943, under the name of Panzerkampfwagen T-34(r) or T-34 747(r) for the T-34/76. Since the Germans were impressed by these tanks (Guderian, Von Kleist and Blumentritt among others), they took all possible means to restore and return to battle these valuable trophies. Most of the time, few changes were made except for the proper German camouflage and very large Balkenkreuz’ painted on the turret, hull and roof. Large swastikas were also used to make the tanks recognizable by the German tank and air crews. The Germans also added equipment and, eventually, additional armored plates.
The first Axis user of the T-34 was the regular Wehrmacht, which incorporated many model 1941s and far more model 1942s in the 1st, 8th and 11th Panzer Divisions during the summer of 1941. All captured units were sent to a Riga workshop, but also Marienfeld and Goerlitz, receiving new radios, fitted with a German-style commander cupola, new hatches and other minor equipment. Many badly damaged T-34s were kept for spare parts. Some turrets were removed and mounted on the many armored trains (Panzerzug) which roamed the Eastern front. Other served as training tanks, but the majority were used in regular units and some by the SS units. They added Schürzen (armor skirts), Notek lights, storage boxes, tools, radios and commander cupolas removed from damaged Panzer IIIs and IVs. These units also incorporated a handful of supply T-34 conversions (Munitionspanzer T-34(r)) and a few AA conversions (Flakpanzer T-34(r)). The Ukrainian "Liberation Force" of Vlasov also used many captured T-34s, which showed a blazon with the traditional St Andrew cross and "ROA" (for Russian Volunteer Army).
showed a blazon with the traditional St Andrew cross and "POA" (cyrillic for ROA, Russkaya Osvobozhditelnaya Armiya, Russian Volunteer Army).

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I would also question the labelling ROA as Ukrainian. The Ukraine had its own mobs of scumbags, the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists (OUN-B) with its Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) led by Stepan Bandera being the worst. Among other things they massacred about 100,000 Polish civilians. The ROA, bad enough as it was, was nothing like the UPA or other Ukrainian groups who were quite racist.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
showed a blazon with the traditional St Andrew cross and "POA" (cyrillic for ROA, Russkaya Osvobozhditelnaya Armiya, Russian Volunteer Army).
I'm not certain if in writing it using latin script that I shpould use POA rater than ROA.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I'm not certain if in writing it using latin script that I shpould use POA rater than ROA.
If you say that sported a blazon, then you should use the cyrillic letters, as those were the showed; if you rephrase with something more generic, like "in the hull showed symbols of the ROA", then you can use latin alphabet, IMHO. That was my motive for editing the sentence. Thanks again for your notes; it's an awesome work!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
As a test I was able to get "РОА", the Cyrillic version from Character Map using the Verdana font which is GS's default font. U+0420, U+041E, U+0410, if that helps

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
As a test I was able to get "РОА", the Cyrillic version from Character Map using the Verdana font which is GS's default font. U+0420, U+041E, U+0410, if that helps
How strange! I was able to write "POA" with my Spanish keyboard… :unsure: But ПОЛ! It's possible to write in cyrillic in GS.
Best regards,
Людовик

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Just to clarify the "РОА" I wrote was the Cyrillic version not the Latin POA.
"РОА" POA look almost identical in Verdana at least.
Let's try lowercase
"роа" poa again look almost identical.

АБВГДЕЖЗИКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯ

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How strange! I was able to write "POA" with my Spanish keyboard… :unsure: But ПОЛ! It's possible to write in cyrillic in GS.
Best regards,
Людовик
AFAIK, the gamesquad sw accepts any unicode characters. As far as it's concerned, characters are just numbers. Where it gets interesting is when the numbers end up on a client-side display. At that point there has to be a display font that covers those unicode characters. Otherwise the browser displays "tofu" (boxes with hexadecimal numbers—this should be tofu on most machines: . It is a code point in a private use area of unicode). Back in the day nearly all machines did not have fonts covering all unicode points and/or had poor fallback to find and use a font covering a character. Nowadays most programs accept unicode characters as input, and most computers have fonts that cover most of the unicode spectrum and do a credible job of font substitution when necessary. I occasionally come across a language for which I don't have a font, but these days it's pretty rare. There are fonts that specialize in covering most of the unicode set so you avoid character tofu as much as possible. The Noto fonts from google are good examples.

JR