Did the forum get ugly, with adverts and colours?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Ahh, just for the record I did not post the above under the current "annoying" tag in the ASL section. But rather posted it elsewhere under issues to mods. About which I was unaware this was the new norm. Just for the record as wall uncool to drag my post into the ASL forum section which I never intended my post to be in. Not cool mods.
No one dragged your post into the game section. There were four different threads simultaneously started to discuss the same subject and they were all combined into a single thread.

One or more of those threads must have come from the ASL game section, where it certainly didn't belong, so the system creates a temporary redirect to the combined thread. It goes away after a few days. Until then, it lets people know where the discussion moved to and also helps ensure people don't keep creating new threads on the same topic.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No one dragged your post into the game section. There were four different threads simultaneously started to discuss the same subject and they were all combined into a single thread.

One or more of those threads must have come from the ASL game section, where it certainly didn't belong, so the system creates a temporary redirect to the combined thread. It goes away after a few days. Until then, it lets people know where the discussion moved to and also helps ensure people don't keep creating new threads on the same topic.
I did not appreciate the combing, it seems to me out of the context in which I voiced my post. I get you own this site and can do with with it you wish. [I am also thankful for it. Just for the record I don't do papal so cannot buy in. I offered awhile back when it became pay oriented if you send me a PM I will send you a check. I don't recall an answer.] But I do not appreciate my voice expressed out of the context and "thread/place" in which I aired it. I am not a techie and do not understand all the sub-rules of how the site works. But what was done, was not well done.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It was nothing more complicated than multiple threads being merged into one.

I can edit the title of the thread for you if that helps.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was nothing more complicated than multiple threads being merged into one.

I can edit the title of the thread for you if that helps.
You could do me the favor of removing my avatar and replacing it with the person who titled the thread and made the original; post (which came off the ASL page), as this was not my title, nor how I phrased my point, and replace it with the real OP avatar and his point. OR Leave my avatar and use my original title and point (which came from the Ask the Mods page).

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don’t have options to edit posts in that manner. So I have deleted your initial post. Another member’s post is now the OP.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
now that was complicated...wherz the ezy button? lol

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Subscribed. No adds. Didn't even know there was a subscription option. Thanks for all the work you do forum guys.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As I said I did like the square-with-rounded-corners avatar. I decided to adopt that in my browser (firefox), overriding gamesquad's settings. To do that I followed the instructions here: https://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/how-to-override-css-stylesheets-in-firefox/

1. Open your firefox profile folder. The linked page gives instructions if you don't know how to do that directly.
  2. Open the "chrome" subdirectory. Create the directory if necessary. (note the name of the directory has nothing to do with the google chrome browser. I don't know why but I found the choice of name confusing for a minute.)
  3. Open the file userContent.css. Create the file if necessary.
  4. Put this in userContent.css: @-moz-document domain(www.gamesquad.com) { .avatar { border-radius: 8% !important; }}
    • You can split the css over multiple lines and indent to make it more readable. I put it one one line here so it would work in an html list.
  5. Save.
  6. Restart firefox.
I find that 8% is a nice amount, but it should be obvious that you can pick your own rounding amount. The site uses a value of 50% to get a round avatar.

You can override other gamesquad css too, and in other sites/globally too. The "!important" modifier is necessary for firefox to apply the css. I believe other browsers also allow you to override css, but I have not researched the details of how to do so. I would expect the method would be similar, but in particular I believe the "@-moz-document" is firefox-specific.

JR

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have chosen the GameSquad Blue theme. One item that is a bit difficult with it is that the current page number in the list of pages for a thread is black on dark blue. I am having trouble reading it, so I have modified my custom css to use white text for the current page:

CSS:
@-moz-document domain(www.gamesquad.com) {
  .avatar {
    border-radius: 8% !important;
  }
  .pageNav-page--current {
    color: white !important;
  }
}
It looks nicer. And it doesn't look bad on any of the other alternative currently available: aqua, grape and green.

JR

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, I agree. That color in the 'pagination' is a dark color, which makes it kind of hard to read. It's an inherited CSS property from another core property, and I need to re-style it so it doesn't inherit.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
How do I get rid of these GOD AWFUL ADS!!!!!!!!!, Avatars and media things at the top and bottom of the pages????? As I cannot find how to subsvribe to do so!!!!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
How do I get rid of these GOD AWFUL ADS!!!!!!!!!, Avatars and media things at the top and bottom of the pages????? As I cannot find how to subsvribe to do so!!!!
It looks like you are a subscriber now. Are you still seeing the ads?

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
No thank God ! I understand the need just disliked it , that's all.