MM54 Lump Holds the Line

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another great AAR - thank you. Some questions please:

Valentines have smoke mortars and I did not see these being used?

When lump goes beserk in N12 he cannot see the Russian stack in K12 so it is therefore not an eligible target for him to charge? He charges the unit in K10?

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another great AAR - thank you. Some questions please:

Valentines have smoke mortars and I did not see these being used?

When lump goes beserk in N12 he cannot see the Russian stack in K12 so it is therefore not an eligible target for him to charge? He charges the unit in K10?
Hi Joe,

Scott (aka Grumble Jones) chose not to use the smoke mortar. With the blazes there is plenty of smoke anyway but also smoke would give the DC half squads cover. Both assaults could have used the smoke on the right flank there was fewer DC half squads. Does firing a smoke mortar cause riders to bail?

The SSR that makes Lump go berserk also allows him to charge the nearest enemy in hexes regardless of LOS. K12 was closest. If the wind picks up there is a great deal of smoke and the SSR needed to allow a charge no matter the LOS. Overall the berserk charge is a very chance event. Could have a very different outcome considering berserkers are lax.

Dan

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Joe,

Does firing a smoke mortar cause riders to bail?
Now that is a good question. I think that you are OK - but I am no rules expert. I played someone who used riders and fired the main gun. He stated that it was only when you twist your turret that they have to bail out and I took him to be correct when I looked at D 6.21. I would love to know if I got that one right - it would make a change :)

I did think there might be something in the SSR which is why I asked. Next time I see Second Chance Games at a tourny I'll have to buy that pack.........

I do enjoy these AAR's - thank you both for posting them.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that is a good question. I think that you are OK - but I am no rules expert. I played someone who used riders and fired the main gun. He stated that it was only when you twist your turret that they have to bail out and I took him to be correct when I looked at D 6.21. I would love to know if I got that one right - it would make a change :)

I did think there might be something in the SSR which is why I asked. Next time I see Second Chance Games at a tourny I'll have to buy that pack.........

I do enjoy these AAR's - thank you both for posting them.
We played it that firing the main gun does cause a bail. The 40mm gun is so small I am not sure that is right...

Second Chance Games has all 5 of our packs. I hope you get a chance to play this scenario it is a lot of fun. In play testing no side barely won...it was always a sweeping win...lucky both sides seemed to have equal chances.

Glad you enjoyed the AAR. Scott does such a great job. He channels his 13 year old self to write it up and has a great time doing it. Good way to release some stress and have fun.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
We played it that firing the main gun does cause a bail. The 40mm gun is so small I am not sure that is right...
No attack by the vehicle causes riders to bail out unless it also involves changing a TCA. Even a sN attack won't cause automatic bail, although it will probably be unpleasant for the riders.

JR

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No attack by the vehicle causes riders to bail out unless it also involves changing a TCA. Even a sN attack won't cause automatic bail, although it will probably be unpleasant for the riders.

JR
Thanks - this must come about by smoke / machine guns / MA not being mentioned in D 6.21? I must admit if I was on a tank that started firing its MA , machine guns and letting off smoke I would not be happy about being a rider. Would the MA noise not deafen you?

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Second Chance Games has all 5 of our packs. I hope you get a chance to play this scenario it is a lot of fun. In play testing no side barely won...it was always a sweeping win...lucky both sides seemed to have equal chances.

Glad you enjoyed the AAR. Scott does such a great job. He channels his 13 year old self to write it up and has a great time doing it. Good way to release some stress and have fun.
It is good of him to put up these AAR's, it must be a lot of work. Next time you see him tell him I said thank you. I hope that you do not mind me asking questions - just trying to make sure that I'm getting things right. As someone said, no perfect game of ASL has ever been played................and I certainly have room for improvement:)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
this must come about by smoke / machine guns / MA not being mentioned in D 6.21? I must admit if I was on a tank that started firing its MA , machine guns and letting off smoke I would not be happy about being a rider. Would the MA noise not deafen you?
Technically this comes from all of these actions not being mentioned anywhere as causing bail out. D6.21 is perhaps the most likely place it would be mentioned, but rules have been laid down in stranger places.

As to the why's I have little idea. Vehicle crews in open-topped vehicles experienced about the same amount of noise as would a rider, and they don't suffer ill effects. I think with modern tanks the problem may be more severe.

JR

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is good of him to put up these AAR's, it must be a lot of work. Next time you see him tell him I said thank you. I hope that you do not mind me asking questions - just trying to make sure that I'm getting things right. As someone said, no perfect game of ASL has ever been played................and I certainly have room for improvement:)
I think that is why he post too. Likes to see others learn from our mistakes. We certainly muddle through some games. But we like to play all types of ASL, vehicles, night, PTO, air support, sea landings. You name it we will play it.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Your AARs had become my long awaited weekly great moments in ASL. Mistakes or not, Scott's and yours observations are first class, and help to improve my gaming. Give Scott a big hug in your next Skype meeting, as he does a real love labor in his blog. And, of course, a great thanks to you, because without a great opponent, there's no great AARs.