Pinned after moving

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, here it is.

A leader spends 5 MF, ends movement.

In Defensive Final Fire, the leader suffers a wound result and survives.

Does he the pin for using more MP than three in his movement phase?

Thanks,

Rich

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think it only applies during the MPh he becomes pinned.

A17.2:
"...A SMC who becomes wounded (e.g., by Defensive First Fire) after already expending > 3 MF is pinned..."

Technically, this rule seems to have no time element - so one could claim that a SMC that becomes wounded on Turn 5 is pinned, since he spent 4 MF on Turn 1 - but if one does that, one might be short of opponents soon. :)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think it only applies during the MPh he becomes pinned.

Technically, this rule seems to have no time element - so one could claim that a SMC that becomes wounded on Turn 5 is pinned, since he spent 4 MF on Turn 1 - but if one does that, one might be short of opponents soon. :)
A more reasonable interpretation would be to consider that A17.2 applies only during the player turn in which the leader becomes wounded.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A more reasonable interpretation would be to consider that A17.2 applies only during the player turn in which the leader becomes wounded.
Or the actual phase he becomes wounded (i.e., the MPh) - equally reasonable IMO - and also in line with ASL usual "don't need to remember" how may MF he spent in the MPh. I can see it being played both ways.

Is there any Q&A perhaps? Thinking it must have come up before.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
egads... trust in those that wrote the rulebook man. Some smart ass cats there.
A17.2:
"...A SMC who becomes wounded (e.g., by Defensive First Fire) after already expending > 3 MF is pinned..."

umm hmm.. key word... EXPENDING

look it up in the dictionary.. the rulebook writers did for sure...
Expending.. to use up.

the word that was not used. EXPENDED... ie..that is past tense man.. after they have already moved.. expended... ie Final Fire

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A17.2:

Expending.. to use up.

the word that was not used. EXPENDED... ie..that is past tense man.. after they have already moved.. expended... ie Final Fire
Not sure how that is different. If a SMC expends four MF in turn one then wounds in turn four, it has become wounded after expending > 3 MF. In, "after waking I brush my teeth and have a good breakfast," there's no exact time specified. There is nothing in the ASLRB (or the dictionary) about the verb form "expending" applying only in the current phase, player turn or game turn. Just a concept of "before" and "after".

JR

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll put my faith in the difference between knowing the (intended?) meaning of the present and past tenses of the word expend. I'll give the writers of the ASLRB enough credit to have known the difference and intended it to apply to DFirstF by using the word expending.. rather than used expended.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'll be honest and say I don't recall ever pinning a wounded leader because he spent >3 MF in movement or final fire, Learn something every day.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'll be honest and say I don't recall ever pinning a wounded leader because he spent >3 MF in movement or final fire, Learn something every day.
This applies to all SMC, not just leaders. It is especially important when firing against Japanese tank-hunter heroes. It can also be annoying for other heroes, as it may prevent them from advancing into a crucial close combat.

JR

Last edited:

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
A17.2:

Expending.. to use up.

"after expending" - is still past tense