SP5 The Hornet of Cloville

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I took the Americans for this one and decided to divide my force into two flanking movements, one from the northeast and another coming in from the west. The bulk of my formation came down from the north with a Sherman tank. I deployed my 8-1 with two 6-6-6s and an mmg with the idea of sliding into the J7 farmhouse so that I could start working on a concealed German stack in the J5 house directly below them. The rest of the 6-6-6- squads, a pair of skirmishers and the 9-1 with a HS went northeast towards the B hexrow, skirting the woods and the hedgerow line. From the west, the remaining three squads, two shermans, and 9-1 AL would cut through the grain and over the western L1 hedgerow line in order to work into the buildings around the VC. My goal was to stretch the line, envelope the G4 VC crossroads and, as much as I could given the terrain, bring massive firepower to bear on the German defenders while keeping that fragile American morale intact.

Turn one, my northern Sherman took a bounding fire shot that was a critical hit on the squad in J5, resulting in a k/2 that killed the German 8-1 leader, broke the accompanying squad, and ruined my opponent’s attempt to lay down a future lmg fire lane. Seconds later, the German sniper activated and killed the American 9-1, breaking the bazooka team he was with. In the opening moments, both of us had lost our best leaders. Gotta love ASL.

I was surprised by how quickly the German paras seemed to fade away in this game. By end of turn two my northern assault force had managed to turn the German right flank around F5 and D4, forcing them back towards the road. The DM’ed paras from J5 were killed by tank fire. The only real opposition came in the west, when the Mark IV showed up to smoke one of the Shermans after surviving two hits to its own turret. What was later revealed to be a panzerjaeger team with a PSK began to skulk through the rubble, slowing any further armored advance down the east-west road. After missing a couple of shots the team would be eliminated by my 2x6-6-6 & 8-1 mmg kill stack that relocated to H5.

Amazingly enough, my line of skirmisher HS would engage the Mark IV in AFV CC turn three. It survived but the prospect of being swarmed again forced it to retreat westwards, where it wound up succumbing to multiple Sherman hits in turn 4. Speaking of CC, the Germans did manage to hold on after botching an initial ambush in turn two and traded squad for squad in melee.

Where was the Nashorn you might ask?

It revealed itself emplaced in the F3 stone building right at the crossroads. That bad boy reduced and broke a squad, narrowly missed a Sherman that moved south to link up with his platoon commander, and in general kept everyone honest. That is, until its security element next door broke and ran. Attempting to escape a bazooka squad it immobilized and well, the crew died for a greater Germany.

End of game the Americans had the crossroads well in hand, taking a total of 1 & ½ squads and the 9-1 KIA. The Germans suffered 4 squads and an 8-1 KIA. I attribute the victory to the outflanking of the German line, which was oriented towards a crossroads defense, with little coverage on the left or right, especially on the left. I think the hedgerows and smoke from burning vehicles which drifted north as winds picked up in turns 2 & 3 also played an important role, allowing the attackers on the right to skulk and get in close to deliver some nasty 12 + IFT against the German line on the right. A fun, fast playing scenario that pits sketchy American morale and material might against a small, quality German defense short on SW that will have trouble covering all the potential entry points. I think this one has some decent replay ability and I can see it easily turning into a close quarters slugfest around the crossroads if the Germans play a tight backfield defense.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Where was the Nashorn you might ask?

It revealed itself emplaced in the F3 stone building right at the crossroads.
It sounds as if the Nashorn set up in the stone building. If so the PzJg III/IV is open-topped, and open-topped vehicles may not set up in or enter buildings (other than factories) [B23.41].

JR

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It sounds as if the Nashorn set up in the stone building. If so the PzJg III/IV is open-topped, and open-topped vehicles may not set up in or enter buildings (other than factories) [B23.41].

JR
Normally yes, but SSR # 6 states: "The Pz III/IV may set up in a building."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Normally yes, but SSR # 6 states: "The Pz III/IV may set up in a building."
Interesting. I looked at my copy before posting, and I have no SSR #6.

edit--I found some indications that several errata were published: adding SSR 6, a PSK for the Germans and a second MMG for the Americans. But the Schwerpunkt site seems to be MIA.

JR

Last edited:

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting. I looked at my copy before posting, and I have no SSR #6.

edit--I found some indications that several errata were published: adding SSR 6, a PSK for the Germans and a second MMG for the Americans. But the Schwerpunkt site seems to be MIA.

JR
That is indeed interesting. I must have received an updated edition since the American OB includes 2 mmg and the Germans were detailed a PSK in along with the SSR provision for the Nashorn.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
That is indeed interesting. I must have received an updated edition since the American OB includes 2 mmg and the Germans were detailed a PSK in along with the SSR provision for the Nashorn.
Yes, the information I found said the updates were added to later printings. I wonder how many other of those scenarios have been updated.

As a matter of tactics, putting the Nashorn in the building probably wouldn't be my first choice anyway. The doubling of case A DRM is a serious dis-incentive, plus the tank can't claim WA, meaning enemy units can unless there are friendly infantry too. For TH shots, HD is better.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
By SSR the Shermans are equipped with culin (née roberts) devices. The date given for the action is 11 July 1944, which is a little early for culin devices I think (but I do not know for certain).

JR

Last edited:

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the SSR merely says it may set up in a stone buikding, I'm not certain it coukd change its VCA in one.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If the SSR merely says it may set up in a stone buikding, I'm not certain it coukd change its VCA in one.
There's no rule against that specific situation, and the rules allow a vehicle to change its VCA in general. Otherwise there would have to be a rule allowing OT vehicles to change VCA inside a factory entrance, or they would not be able to do so there either.

JR