So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sometimes ASL just likes to kick you in the balls. My friend and I played OA27 Long Range Recon in prep for our Kursk foray. I had the defending Germans. A very small German force has to hold a slightly larger Russian force from taking two buildings and destroying a bunch of trucks. Victory points are allotted for achieving certain objectives. If the Russians get 31 VPs they win unless the Germans get 13. So, the first shot of the game by the Russians was a 12 on a 12+2 shot. The rest of the Russians crept up concealed on the western side of the board. There's really only one good hex, an orchard cluster next to both victory buildings, otherwise it's all open ground. There is another longer route they could take from the north, but since both sides gain 1 VP for each building controlled at the end of each game turn, time is of the essence. The Germans claimed wall advantage and broke the Russian 8-1 with a lousy NMC and the lone squad with it rolled boxcars. The Russian MG toting GAZ-67Bs rolled in the next turn, and with the ATR, proceeded to take out all five German trucks by the end of turn 2. It took the Russians until Turn 4 (of 6) to finally secure both buildings. By then, they were over the 31 VP cap.

Here's where it got really fluky. My friend declared no quarter when he finished off the Germans in the larger building. After breaking the lone squad in the smaller one, I was able to risk interdiction rather than surrender it because of no quarter. It survived one open ground hex, and ran to the woods on board 32. The Russians shot at the squad the next turn to keep it DM and it ran back into the interior. I needed the lone German 9-1 reinforcement leader with two squads, a LMG, and a MMG to try and force my way back into one of the buildings or at least cause some casualties so I couldn't send it to the broken squad. The broken squad got a field promotion and with the newly created 8-0 moved forward again. The bottom of turn 6 and I needed 2 VPs to get to 13. I blasted a squad and leader manning the small building with the 9-1 stack. The leader broke, but the squad rolled snakes. His subsequent roll was an 11 which disrupted the squad. Because I had enough movement thanks to the new leader, I ran the previously broken squad next to the disrupted Russian squad. He surrendered giving me the last two VPs to win. Heartbreaker for my friend. Like I said, sometimes ASL just kicks you where it hurts...

Sounds exciting, and it did have its moments, but in reality it was slow and definitely too small for my tastes. A few bad rolls early, like the Russians suffered, and they're behind the eight ball. I lost my lone tank by moving PB next to the buildings hoping to blast some Russians. I must have gotten starry-eyed at the opportunity to get off some 16+2 shots. The Russian ATR thought otherwise. Instead, I should have used it to chase the Russian jeeps since they were worth one point each. The Germans trucks can leave the playing area, so I think the jeeps should be able to as well, otherwise, they're just sitting ducks. An OK scenario, I guess. It only took a little over an hour to play. Now onto Kursk proper (at least the first two days of it), and with all those BFP scenarios coming up, my guess is that each will take quite a bit longer than that.

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I th
Sometimes ASL just likes to kick you in the balls. My friend and I played OA27 Long Range Recon in prep for our Kursk foray. I had the defending Germans. A very small German force has to hold a slightly larger Russian force from taking two buildings and destroying a bunch of trucks. Victory points are allotted for achieving certain objectives. If the Russians get 31 VPs they win unless the Germans get 13. So, the first shot of the game by the Russians was a 12 on a 12+2 shot. The rest of the Russians crept up concealed on the western side of the board. There's really only one good hex, an orchard cluster next to both victory buildings, otherwise it's all open ground. There is another longer route they could take from the north, but since both sides gain 1 VP for each building controlled at the end of each game turn, time is of the essence. The Germans claimed wall advantage and broke the Russian 8-1 with a lousy NMC and the lone squad with it rolled boxcars. The Russian MG toting GAZ-67Bs rolled in the next turn, and with the ATR, proceeded to take out all five German trucks by the end of turn 2. It took the Russians until Turn 4 (of 6) to finally secure both buildings. By then, they were over the 31 VP cap.

Here's where it got really fluky. My friend declared no quarter when he finished off the Germans in the larger building. After breaking the lone squad in the smaller one, I was able to risk interdiction rather than surrender it because of no quarter. It survived one open ground hex, and ran to the woods on board 32. The Russians shot at the squad the next turn to keep it DM and it ran back into the interior. I needed the lone German 9-1 reinforcement leader with two squads, a LMG, and a MMG to try and force my way back into one of the buildings or at least cause some casualties so I couldn't send it to the broken squad. The broken squad got a field promotion and with the newly created 8-0 moved forward again. The bottom of turn 6 and I need 2 VPs to get to 13. I blasted a squad and leader manning the small building with the 9-1 stack. The leader broke, but the squad rolled snakes. His subsequent roll was an 11 which disrupted the squad. Because I had enough movement thanks to the new leader, I ran the previously broken squad next to the disrupted Russian squad. He surrendered giving me the last two VPs to win. Heartbreaker for my friend. Like I said, sometimes ASL just kicks you where it hurts...

Sounds exciting, and it did have its moments, but in reality it was slow and definitely too small for my tastes. A few bad rolls early, like the Russians suffered, and they're behind the eight ball. I lost my lone tank by moving PB next to the buildings hoping to blast some Russians. I must have gotten starry-eyed at the opportunity to get off some 16+2 shots. The Russian ATR thought otherwise. Instead, I should have used it to chase the Russian jeeps since they were worth one point each. The Germans trucks can leave the playing area, so I think the jeeps should be able to as well, otherwise, they're just sitting ducks. An OK scenario, I guess. It only took a little over an hour to play. Now onto Kursk proper (at least the first two days of it), and with all those BFP scenarios coming up, my guess is that each will take quite a bit longer than that.
I played this a few years ago. There is not much in it.

If you have two hours before the bar closes or your lover comes home, you could while away some time with this. But I would not call it an ASL scenario.

buser333

Reaction score
??? Not familiar with it.
Elite Canadians II by Winnipeg ASL Club. I have played all four. I would say the first one is the best, but somewhat challenging for the Germans. The one discussed above is certainly interesting, but I think it would have been better as a full-blown paradrop and cutting back on the amount of potential partisans generated. The other two are way too dependent on OBA IMHO.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Magnus Rimvall and I finished a VASL playing of ELC04 DRAGOONS, PARACHUTISTES, AND THE DUTCH RESISTANCE. This is an unusual scenario. Canadian armoured cars and halftracks must run a gauntlet of dispersed mixed quality German infantry to reach a town on the far side of the board where Free French paratroopers have landed. The Germans have 1945 PF of course, 2 PSK, two Dutch AC with 37L guns, a light mortar and many MG with which to attack the Canadian mostly light armour. Maybe Magnus was lucky in our game, but I believe the Axis side is favoured. On the fourth turn out of five, my second-to-last AFV that I needed to survive died to seal the German victory.
A little CASLO prep I see.

PugRoyale

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a quick scenario after work today: J183 A Real Barn Burner from Journal 12.

I took the Germans and massively screwed up my setup. I overly split my forces and underestimated how blasted difficult it would be to root out those 2.5 Fanatic, elite French squads with their 9-1 from the walled farm compound. I rolled one side of the compound in Turn 1 and eliminated half their forces and then got shot to pieces trying to take out the last squad. There was much taunting and referencing of elderberries.

As I flailed around not able to secure the objective, my opponent (who is usually very conservative on the attack) initiated "le banzai" against my under strength forward defense. The terrain is atrocious on Board 43 given the situation: French on both sides of you with open LOS all the way across; a hedge that cuts the battlefield into two slices. Brutal.

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playtested a scenario with Gor-Gor this past Sunday.
Good fun for a scenario we threw together over lunch.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
OB 4 Headhunting for Bloody Huns Excellent scenario in which a German paradrop near Maleme goes agains New Zealanders and Cretan partisans. My opponent and me give tip of the hat to the designer, Tom Morin.
After the usual butchery of paratroopers in the landing, the scenario goes to turn a see-saw of opportunities for both sides. A lonely German squad near the exit border that never re-armed but created a hero held in place a great number of NZ and partisan units. The Italian infantry gun used by the NZs was decessive to rebuke the paras menacing to go on force in the top of the hill, and so on… every turn gave a twist to the expected. Germans lost in the last turn for lack of only one VP. But, doesn't matter. Was great fun, continuously re-setting whatever plans any player could had. The adaptation of DASL Hedgerow Hell terrain to Cretan gives great opportunites and nuances. A superb scenario, which I recommend to everyone.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OB 4 Headhunting for Bloody Huns Excellent scenario in which a German paradrop near Maleme goes agains New Zealanders and Cretan partisans. My opponent and me give tip of the hat to the designer, Tom Morin.
After the usual butchery of paratroopers in the landing, the scenario goes to turn a see-saw of opportunities for both sides. A lonely German squad near the exit border that never re-armed but created a hero held in place a great number of NZ and partisan units. The Italian infantry gun used by the NZs was decessive to rebuke the paras menacing to go on force in the top of the hill, and so on… every turn gave a twist to the expected. Germans lost in the last turn for lack of only one VP. But, doesn't matter. Was great fun, continuously re-setting whatever plans any player could had. The adaptation of DASL Hedgerow Hell terrain to Cretan gives great opportunites and nuances. A superb scenario, which I recommend to everyone.
Scheduled for re-printing in Deluxe Redux.

Charlie is making progress on maps.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So I went to your site and looked at the pictures, but I could not tell which side won.
The defenders (Germans) .. I couldn’t get to a couple of units on the other side of the street + one that sits upstairs. Got very expertly blocked.
(I made a change in the graphic that will clarify that a bit more, thanks for the feedback!!)

Last edited:

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
CtR 6 Black and Blue Swarms from the new BFP Corregidor Pack. A seaborne assault scenario - 14 US Army squads backed by 2 Shermans and NOBA land on Black Beach. The entire IJA force is HIP and the GI's were not able to find enough of them to meet the VC which requires them to destroy or force most of the IJA OOB away from the beach area.
Terrible, terrible scenario. Playtested it at ASLOK with Larry Zoet, with him taking the Japanese. He only fired the gun at the landing craft/ unloading Americans. He nailed three, which happened to be the ones with the vehicles. Luckily, I did not lose any infantry, as these were all destroyed in the shallows.

My Americans did well, better than they should have, during the ensuing bug hunt. The Japanese were mostly set back (which kept the NOBA from being of any use), and time did not help the Americans.

What I did not know is that Larry had HIPed enough units on the left beach that it was impossible for me to get enough points to win with my attack in the town. The Americans do not have enough landing craft, troops or leaders to be able to assault two beaches.

We reported this to Tooz at the time. Suggested changes included allowing only the normal amount of Japanese HIP, adding a turn, and adding an American leader. The published version was the EXACT SAME as the playtest version.

Any scenario where the winning strategy is for the defender to do nothing is dull, at best.

I think the Japanese would be favored even if they didn’t all hide. Two HMGs and two .50 cals shooting at the beach hexes could rack up a lot of casualties.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad had the Russian attackers in a FtF session of SP259 CORRIDOR TO EXTINCTION. I hipped all three AFV as specified by the SSR. All three were in woods, however; I think I would put two or three in orchards next time. Most of my infantry was hidden from first turn fire, but not all. I had two units in different locations covering the center bridge. One HIP Pz4 covered it as well. I looked for a good legal high spot for the JgPz6 to dominate the map, but I saw none. Erik's attack came in mostly on the Russian right with two T34 left in high overwatch positions. Our match went all the way to the last turn. I had lost two Pz4. Erik had lost 1 T34 and 1 SC. The JgPz6 had moved away from the VC road and it was in the center of the map at the start of the last German turn. Erik had sent all the T34 to engage the infantry that was accumulated in the buildings near the end of the VC road. I was able to move the JgPz6 to the central bridge to satisfy the VC. On the last Russian turn, Erik sent several T34 back to engage the JgPz6 without success.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Completely agree. Tom did an absolutely fabulous job with this one. It is one of my favorites.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stone Age Caves. RO7.
Stalingrad, December ‘42. Soviets must clear one ruined factory and part of another. I concentrated my Russians along the s/e corner of the rolling shop, and on the slag heap. The German set up restrictions make it hard for them early on. But, they fell back skillfully, and held at a few fortified locations in the rolling shop and the stone buildings in between the two factories.
I was able to bash my way into the second factory, only to be shoved out again. On the last turn, the final charge carried the day. Fun all infantry urban fight.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 129 A Bitter Day Tom and I continued our way through the PiF scenarios with this all infantry affair which, has Polish Marines attacking to clear two hamlets and and out building in 7 turns. I set up the elite poles on my left flank and the other force on the right. Tom executed a good fall back defense against polish pressure and on Turn 3 managed to slow my mounting pressure in the middle which, would have opened the east/west road freeing up movement options for my Green squads. The poles finally turned the German left (only after a MMG malf) but the Green squads just couldn't move fast enough to get in position to interdict his last wave of reinforcements. On the polish left, Tom built the Alamo in the out building with six squads and I didn't have enough left, nor time to get the forces there to take it.

It was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the scenario a lot. Both of us had critical decisions to make on every phase of the game. Playing the Poles against an opponent of Tom's quality, I would take the balance, and it may well have made the difference in our playing. I think this will be a scenario that's always kind of close, but will prove out to be pro-German.

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RO3 Defenders of Stalingrad was, for both my opponent and me, our first game on a Red Factories map. With ROAR results heavily in favor of the Russians, we used the balance and deleted the 9-1 in the Russian west group.

With that west group, the Russians created a kill stack/firegroup in the O18 Vice House to drive out anyone on the rooftop or in the narrow southern end of the Martin Shop. With the German 8-1 and 9-2 both going berserk mid- and late-game, it was a tough game for the Germans though it was a tense battle until the end. On Turn 5 the Russians won four Close Combats to clear the factory and the Germans didn't feel they had enough to counterattack and conceded.

I would be willing to play this again, but would have to figure out a couple of optimal German defensive setups and strategies. The balance really didn't come into play as the Russian leaders tended to be protected back in their rally point positions, and the German sniper had been neutralized by the Russian sniper by mid-game.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Erik Lindblad and I played V24 EAGLES AGAINST LIONS, as I continue to prepare for CASLO in May. This scenario has several unique items; Italian SS units, for example. They are portrayed by five 4-6-8 squads ( with two 9-1 leaders ) with a ridiculous amount of SW: 4 LMG and 2 PSK. The Italians also have seven tanks to use in their defense: 4 M14/41 and 3 M15/42. It is April 1945 and an American force consisting of 5 M4A1, 5 squads, 3 leaders, 2 MMG and 3 BAZ45 are trying to cross boards 10 and 41 for exit VP. To spice things up, the Americans can set up 3 partisan squads in a small area of board 41. To spice things up even more, the Italian player can choose to place units in the same hexes as the partisans for some pre-game CC. I placed the three partisans in three adjacent building hexes on a hill. Erik put a squad and leader in two of their locations and he placed a tank adjacent to the middle squad. The results of the pre-game CC phase were one dead partisan squad and one melee which lasted until turn two, when everyone elimninated each other. The rest of Erik's defence was spread across the board, but with only a couple of tanks on the American right. Erik had passed up a couple of good level 2 locations in which to put units. My American units entered using the right quarter of their board edge. The infantry tried to stay out of sight at the beginning. Four tanks positioned to engage Italian tanks, some of which were concealed in buildings or woods. My one surviving partisan squad managed to make it difficult for Erik to shift one of his squads to where the action was, but it got there for the end game. His tanks died fairly quickly, if I saw them. It wasn't until the third turn that a DM marker finally went on the board. By the beginning of American turn four, I had all five tanks ready to exit (more than enough). Erik had only one squad with a PSK in my way. I fired WP at it and rolled snakes. The only TEM was height advantage. The squad failed the MC, allowing three Shermans and a squad to exit for the win.

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Erik Lindblad and I played V24 EAGLES AGAINST LIONS, as I continue to prepare for CASLO in May. This scenario has several unique items; Italian SS units, for example. They are portrayed by five 4-6-8 squads ( with to 9-1 leaders ) with a ridiculous amount of SW: 4 LMG and 2 PSK. The Italians also have seven tanks to use in their defense: 4 M14/41 and 3 M15/42. It is April 1945 and an American force consisting of 5 M4A1, 5 squads, 3 leaders, 2 MMG and 3 BAZ45 are trying to cross boards 10 and 41 for exit VP. To spice things up, the Americans can set up 3 partisan squads in a small area of board 41. To spice things up even more, the Italian player can choose to place units in the same hexes as the partisans for some pre-game CC. I placed the three partisans in three adjacent building hexes on a hill. Erik put a squad and leader in two of their locations and he placed a tank adjacent to the middle squad. The results of the pre-game CC phase were one dead partisan squad and one melee which lasted until turn two, when everyone elimninated each other. The rest of Erik's defence was spread across the board, but with only a couple of tanks on the American right. Erik had passed up a couple of good level 2 locations in which to put units. My American units entered using the right quarter of their board edge. The infantry tried to stay out of sight at the beginning. Four tanks positioned to engage Italian tanks, some of which were concealed in buildings or woods. My one surviving partisan squad managed to make it difficult for Erik to shift one of his squads to where the action was, but it got there for the end game. His tanks died fairly quickly, if I saw them. It wasn't until the third turn that a DM marker finally went on the board. By the beginning of American turn four, I had all five tanks ready to exit (more than enough). Erik had only one squad with a PSK in my way. I fired WP at it and rolled snakes. The only TEM was height advantage. The squad failed the MC, allowing three Shermans and a squad to exit for the win.
View attachment 8538
Where does that scenario come from? Pack? Publisher?