RO CG I Started

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find the militia in the factories is a very good buy, and the 80 mm Artillery support, both are very good firepower/ccp spent.
That's where all of mine are at the moment. I don't think he's even seen a militaman, except for the sniper hitting two and breaking them in one of the factories. I won't ever have them outside a factory, if my lessons from RB have sunk in at all.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so Saturday we got a few more turns in among the wine and chit chat...
We are on Russian Turn 6 right now.
Germans continue to do pretty much what they want. Any Russian break leads to advances by the hordes of HSs.

CVP (infantry) is about equal, Russians having killed like 1 more squad (or Germans kill themselves with booby traps and rally rolls)
Going from the North to the south we have the following:
Nothing exciting here, Russian kill stack has decided that causing casualties up here is worth a few shots due to the lack of cover. Points is Points.
The schoolhouse has fallen and the Kindergarten is about to fall. The melee is a beserk HS that got in and the hth melee is 1:1 I think with the last Russian that didn't run away. Finally put a tank on his kill stack to make him move hopefully without wasting the rockets.
Tried to get smoke cover here but drew red a turn ago and than drifted such that it wouldn't go off (the 2 infantry stacks were ? at that time)
He suspects J29 is a FT... the gun is unmanned due to a 6,6 MC roll
And down South we are just pushing a fast and far as we can to get jumping off points for the next CG.

Russians are looking bleak, without being able to buy any infantry for the followup scenario the Russians will have to hold the line with what they have pretty much.
Probably more OBA and MOL? and/or dug in tanks for the next buys for him?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Russians are looking bleak, without being able to buy any infantry for the followup scenario the Russians will have to hold the line with what they have pretty much.
Probably more OBA and MOL? and/or dug in tanks for the next buys for him?
Why can't the Russian buy any infantry for the follow up scenario?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why can't the Russian buy any infantry for the follow up scenario?
Because the Russians have a historical drm of 0 for the first CG day, you play 2 scenarios on the first CG day so he is maxed at 2 companies which he chose to purchase on the first scenario.
The Germans are -2 (I think from memory) so can buy 4 companies on the first day.
I think this is my brother's biggest sticking point so far as the Russians...
maybe Gary or someone can tell us we are misinterpreting this rule but as written this seems like the most likely reading of it.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I thought this was the only thing you gyus ever did??

Seriously, fun reading about your progress with this. ?
We average 2 bottles a meeting, we both bring one and share... he didn't like the one HE brought to the table so I had a bit more than my share this weekend!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Because the Russians have a historical drm of 0 for the first CG day, you play 2 scenarios on the first CG day so he is maxed at 2 companies which he chose to purchase on the first scenario.
The Germans are -2 (I think from memory) so can buy 4 companies on the first day.
I think this is my brother's biggest sticking point so far as the Russians...
maybe Gary or someone can tell us we are misinterpreting this rule but as written this seems like the most likely reading of it.
I'm pretty sure you are misinterpreting this. The SSR I.6 for X-Tag says "A complete refit phase is performed between the 1st and 2nd scenarios, just as if this second scenario were occurring on the NEXT CG Day." So I would interpret this to mean the Russian historical drm of 0 to apply to each of the two scenarios on the 23rd. It is certainly worth checking with Gary or perhaps Klas before you continue.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm pretty sure you are misinterpreting this. The SSR I.6 for X-Tag says "A complete refit phase is performed between the 1st and 2nd scenarios, just as if this second scenario were occurring on the NEXT CG Day." So I would interpret this to mean the Russian historical drm of 0 to apply to each of the two scenarios on the 23rd. It is certainly worth checking with Gary or perhaps Klas before you continue.
I think we talked about that but if it's "as if" the next CG day which modifier do you use? the next one or the "current" one???

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just sent a Q&A to Perry... because regardless of the drm how many companies you can buy PER DAY still is up for debate... the purchase limit is not per scenario I don't think right? I think that says per day...

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I think we talked about that but if it's "as if" the next CG day which modifier do you use? the next one or the "current" one???
It is the same CG Day but it is treated as a separate CG Day. The 23rd Oct receives a 0 Historical drm for the Russians. There are two scenarios on the 23rd but they are treated as separate CG Days while maintaining the same drm.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is the same CG Day but it is treated as a separate CG Day. The 23rd Oct receives a 0 Historical drm for the Russians. There are two scenarios on the 23rd but they are treated as separate CG Days while maintaining the same drm.
Sorry in my English "as if" means like you were really there which on the 24th Russians have -1 I believe... I'll read it again when I get a chance and maybe Perry will chime in.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Well I hope this is correct. Because without being able to buy any infantry on that 2nd scenario, I'm actually leaning towards this CG being untenable as the Russians. I'm doing well at saving my infantry right now with only losing 7.5 S/E's of Russians to 8 S/E's (+2 tanks) of Germans, but I still feel like this CG will be over after two scenarios if I can't buy any infantry for tomorrow. Steve just has so many squads on the board.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK so I got a response from Perry... see if my interpretation of it makes sense to the masses.
Here is my rather poorly worded email to Perry:

In RO CG I after the first scenario you play another scenario on the same day with “A complete refit phase is performed between the 1st and 2nd scenarios, just as if this second scenario were occurring on the NEXT CG Day."

1. What drm is used for the second scenario for both sides? The day that the scenario is played on or the NEXT CG Day drm?
  2. How is the number of infantry companies each side may purchase PER DAY affected by this “double” scenario day?
Perry's answer:

Both the drm and the available RG for the next day apply.

....Perry
MMP

So his answer jives with the "as if" clause I suppose.

So I interpret this to mean the Russians get a -1 (from memory) for the 2nd interim scenario and can buy 3 infantry companies for that scenario.
When the next day (3rd scenario) rolls around he gets the -1 drm again and can buy 3 more infantry companies.

Not the way we first read it but I can live with it.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Could you please post this Q&A in the Perry Sez sub-folder as well - so I don't forget it later when I create a new version of the Q&A file.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Hi,

I think that is the logical answer. The drm for the first day is 0....so the Russians can purchase 2 infantry coy in the first scenario and 2 infantry coy in the second scenario. In the third scenario which is the NEXT CG day the drm is -1 and so they can purchase 3 infantry coy.

They will not be as short of infantry as you first feared.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I think that is the logical answer. The drm for the first day is 0....so the Russians can purchase 2 infantry coy in the first scenario and 2 infantry coy in the second scenario. In the third scenario which is the NEXT CG day the drm is -1 and so they can purchase 3 infantry coy.
The Russians can purchase 3 Inf. Coy on the second scenario on the first day - as the drm for the second scenario would be -1. The second scenario is played as if being the next CG Day.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The Russians can purchase 3 Inf. Coy on the second scenario on the first day - as the drm for the second scenario would be -1. The second scenario is played as if being the next CG Day.
I can see where you are coming from. I misread Perry's answer....

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My reaction is your brother got hosed, start again. Lol
Nope, I don't think this "change" in our thinking affected his buys for scenario 1. We will finish scenario 1 this weekend and buy for scenario 2. Under out interpretation he would not have been able to buy ANY infantry and that would be a tough deal for the Russians. So I think this answer from Perry and others certainly makes it more playable...

He hasn't been hosed yet!