VPO Placement and FRIENDLY Units

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
S14 states how to place VPO. S15.1 states, "...Such purchases should be made after the Mission's parameters have been determined, but before FRIENDLY MSR given units are determined and before S? are setup...."

So are VPO determined and placed on the map before FRIENDLY units are determined/selected? Or after FRIENDLY units are determined?

I.e., if I know VPO (e.g., Mission 1, "Cautious Advance" can have 1-3 VPO at start) beforehand, that may impact my FRIENDLY unit composition.

Thanks!

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
12.1 INTRODUCTION: Each SASL Mission is divided into ten sections, as follows: Briefing, ENEMY Attitude, Mission Tables, Mapboard Selection & Activation, VP Locations, S? Placement/Entry, Sequence, Mission End, VP Schedule, and Mission Special Rules (MSR).

Based on this, I would say that VP locations are mission parameters and are done before Friendly units of any kind are selected. This only makes sense, as the commander you should have some idea of what you are trying to achieve before putting together your force.

On the other hand, few commanders had that luxury. Which is why I usually play campaigns, my basic force is set no matter what.

It doesn't help that 'mission parameters' is not defined anywhere in section 12 nor in the SOLITAIRE ASL TERMS & DEFINITIONS.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
You can select your CG company or spend your 130BPV AFTER the MSN parameters have been set, but before MSR (e.g. Bunker Busting MSR 3) optional reinforcements are allotted and the S? are placed. As you lay down mapboards you designate VPO's. So I would use this sequence (though I can't remember it ever coming up):
  1. Determine mission
  2. Determine mapboards and VPO locations (only)
  3. Roll for parameters
  4. Pick CG company or buy with 130 BPV
  5. Roll/select MSR reinforcements.
  6. S? are placed/enter as per Sequence order on mission card. Note number of S? used usually includes ALL at start OB forces.
  7. At mission end the value of the VPO is determined.
As I said I don't remember running into this, but using Mission 4 Bunker Busting as an example, you would pick your company before you determine which MSR 3 reinforcements you would roll for. Not sure if it makes a difference or not in the course of the game and have probably ignored this minor sequence in the past. I also use the CG Coys (which usually cost more than the allotted 130BPV anyways).

Alain Chabot

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I just find myself in a strange situation. I have started a new SASL campaign. Pick first mission. Recon it is. Go through the motions.... VPO locations. Determine number of, using {A6h}. I rolled and got the result ZERO VPO Locations. Hmmm. S? Placement.... Go to 4.1c. where I read: "One S? in each VPO Location". I'm a bit stuck here... This means I am missing something OR it means exactly what I read, and I'll zoom through that first enemy board and eventually activate another board which may (or may not) contain VPO Locations and "?".

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The mapboard does not have any VPO. With Recon the more boards you generate the better your score, but this is balanced with the potential for more VPO's and EN which could easily overwhelm you.