RO CG I Started

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So my brother and I finally started RO CG I after finishing up Hatten.
He is being the whiny Russians (oh I don't have anybody!!!) while I have so many Germans I don't know what to do with them all!

Here is the setup pictures. Reflection pretty bad will try better in the future. I've deployed the max and deploy nearly every rally phase, still probing the entire front.

Turn 1 and Turn 2 action:
He had a few HIP in row B, C, D, we found 3? or so.
First and only attack with a Stuka resulted in a mistaken attack of course (it was only +1) and he promptly bombed one of my lead 247s into oblivion with a 1,1 effect!

Didn't count out my MPs correctly with a Stug B and lost him stupidly.

My OBA (80mm) is down and in a good place while his drew red and then Xed the phone away...

Everything thing else is probe and slow advance, Found as many dummies as real so far. 3 planes scared everyone and kept them ? for the most part.
I hate having Stukas and unable to use them because everyone is in buildings and concealed...

Russian Turn 2 is where we are at right now.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is you map laminated? Or are you using some kind of thin covering like poster frame?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are at my brother's house this time and he had his laminated with a pretty heavy matte laminate... not sure if I like it.
At my house we put plexiglass over the maps

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties are light through turn 1. A squad down for the Russians and a 1/2 squad plus a Stug B for the German. The Russian OBA going away on turn 1 from a boxcars phone contact roll is really going to hurt, but my plan is to survive the day with as many bodies intact as I can so a slow withdrawal is in progress.

Steve has decided to try to envelop my guys concentrating his attacks in the areas of A35-A40 and A1-A6, instead of going straight for the Kindergarten and Shooting Gallery Level 2 hexes. Slightly surprised by this as I have a lot of guys and "surprises" in the shooting gallery area that are getting very anxious with all the movement to their north and south.

He's already seen most of my purchases, so far he knows I bought a milita company, a reserve rifle company and OBA, which leaves one mystery point he doesn't know of yet. I went with the reserve rifle instead of another milita company just because the German is going to be on the Russian so quick that they should get activated quickly (in fact he's already activated a couple squads.)

Steve's purchases that I know of are a 2nd line rifle company, early Stukas and 80mm OBA with a PR Hex and OBO. That leaves 7 CPP; enough for a rifle company, I assume although with 9 million German squads on the board this would be hard to be sure of (there's the whining for ya Steve!)

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is you map laminated? Or are you using some kind of thin covering like poster frame?
Yeah I laminated them at Fed Ex. Its a very heavy thick matte lamination. A bit thicker than I've had done on other maps, don't think I'm a fan of it. But my old source of lamination for my maps, a relative who did it at work selfishly & inconveniently retired!!!!

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Would love to play this CG although I find it a bit short for a 'proper' Stalingrad CG.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I'm sure that RO CG I & II could be combined by filling in the 10 days between them. Just add some suitable RG for both sides and you end up with a 25 scenario CG. The VC would be similar the RB CG III - to capture almost all stone locations.

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So my brother and I got a few more turns in last night... We are now on Russian Turn 4.

The Germans are mostly across the boulevard in force, more progress has been made in the south where a smoke barrage on the boulevard allowed easy access to the cover on the other side. CVP are light, Germans have lost a few more HS than the Russian, most German losses are in CC but we did manage to take out a 458 with 2 halfsquads before wrapping up last night.

We contemplated using the rockets but failed the radio contact roll, debating saving it for the next scenario.

Russians are trading space and trying to keep his meager forces alive. We found a 76* gun sitting in the factory and a 45LL covering the main E-W road in the south.

Germans lost another tank to a street fighting attack... can't defend 1,2 rolls

Pictures from North to South

Not much excitement in the North. His killstack even at > 16 still keeps me from running crazy up here. The broken Russing lmg is my CC victory hex!

Moving a bit farther South we find I finally pushed up torwards the Kindergarten area, the flame is where my 80mm OBA is centered. You can also see the beserk HS that will open up the Russian defense like a can opener or die trying!

The next two pics show the main German attack in the South. We are quickly approaching the factory complex

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Casualties are 3 S/E's, one Stug B (to an ATR shot) and one Stug G (to street fighting) for the Germans and 2 S/E's for the Russian although a 6-2-8 is about to be eliminated in the rout phase upcoming (he's trapped upstairs in G12.) So tied in infantry essentially. We also have two ongoing Melee's with H2H upcoming in my turn. I fear I'm not causing enough casualties. I know in RB a 1.0-1.0 ratio of infantry CVP would be great for the Russian, but with so few troops on the board it feels like I'm behind due to the amount of territory he is taking. I'm just not going to let him double break guys, I'm just fleeing before the horde at this point.

Two of my guns have made appearances and the other two are about to get into the action. Neither of us has ever used rockets in any CG without a Pre-reg, so I'm trying to goad Steve into using the Rockets, just to hear him swear when they fly off six hexes away from his AR hex. So far unsuccessful in this endeavor..........

Last edited:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Because of the Historical DRM chart the Russians can only purchase two infantry coy on day 1. (That also includes the second scenario on the 23rd Oct.) Which means that they can have a max of 5 infantry coy on the 1st CG date and can only purchase another two on the second CG date.

The German will have about 7 infantry coy on the 1st CG date and another two (or even three) on the 2nd. So the Russians are outnumbered in Stalingrad! Bad news. The good news is that the Germans only have 10 CG dates to capture all the factories.

On the 3rd scenario the Russians can finally purchase 3 infantry coy. It may be worth saving some CPP in order to get some quality. BOOTS ON THE GROUND is the Stalingrad motto. But since the Russian can't purchase quantity perhaps he should go for quality?

On the 1st CG date he could purchase a Guards SMG Coy and a Rifle Coy both in reserve. They would stand up better than the militia coy.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because of the Historical DRM chart the Russians can only purchase two infantry coy on day 1. (That also includes the second scenario on the 23rd Oct.) Which means that they can have a max of 5 infantry coy on the 1st CG date and can only purchase another two on the second CG date.

The German will have about 7 infantry coy on the 1st CG date and another two (or even three) on the 2nd. So the Russians are outnumbered in Stalingrad! Bad news. The good news is that the Germans only have 10 CG dates to capture all the factories.

On the 3rd scenario the Russians can finally purchase 3 infantry coy. It may be worth saving some CPP in order to get some quality. BOOTS ON THE GROUND is the Stalingrad motto. But since the Russian can't purchase quantity perhaps he should go for quality?

On the 1st CG date he could purchase a Guards SMG Coy and a Rifle Coy both in reserve. They would stand up better than the militia coy.
Yeah I was struggling with purchases for the 1st date. Went with the militia just to have the ability to react to the 2.7 million Germans coming at me, but looking back it was probably a mistake. Reserves are getting activated so quickly (I think there's only 5 reserve cloaking counters not activated in turn 4 and two of those will be activated in the next German turn), that having both companies I bought in reserve would have been wiser.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah I was struggling with purchases for the 1st date. Went with the militia just to have the ability to react to the 2.7 million Germans coming at me, but looking back it was probably a mistake. Reserves are getting activated so quickly (I think there's only 5 reserve cloaking counters not activated in turn 4 and two of those will be activated in the next German turn), that having both companies I bought in reserve would have been wiser.
I find the militia in the factories is a very good buy, and the 80 mm Artillery support, both are very good firepower/ccp spent.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just been doing a bit of maths. The Russian has got 27 infantry coy available to him for the whole CG (including the three given at start). The German has got 22 coy (including at start forces). Not much difference. The Russians have 14 of their coy as elite and the German has 10. I wonder if this CG is nail bitingly balanced??