APCR (ASL Player Comparative Ratings)

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Question: In AREA or GLICKO, are newer games given greater weight over older ones?
Not innately, in GLIKO games the RD (ratings deviation, stability of rating) effects the changes of rating so this will have time based effects but nothing as simple as most recent with a higher impact. I understand the question though as just like a football team or horse recent form means most.
Certainly with both systems though you can see the effct of recent games directly while older games get buried under history. Any dropoff in form or sudden brain enhancing drug performance effect would be quickly apparent

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
also I think that scenarios where the default convention axis/Communist vs not Nazi-Fascist/"bad guy" first is NA because it's impossible to define who is the "bad guy" and who is the "good guy" are probably less than 0,3% so this is a negligible problem
Well, measured against the total human population the problem is actually more like 0.073% :). BUT, measured against all official MMP numbered scenarios it is a whopping 7.46% (Hakka Päälle (pohjan poika) =17/228) :(.

I will at all times defend the Finnish people from any characterization containing the word "bad". Broderfolket leve!!!:love::love::love:

Last edited:

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well, measured against the total human population the problem is actually more like 0.073% :). BUT, measured against all official MMP numbered scenarios it is a whopping 7.46% (Hakka Päälle (pohjan poika) =17/228) :(.

I will at all times defend the Finnish people from any characterization containing the word "bad". Broderfolket leve!!!:love::love::love:

View attachment 8096View attachment 8095
Badass! though another matter ?

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
Badass! though another matter ?
Good point actually - they have this very nasty trait of being fairly good in Ice Hockey. Gets on your nerve sometimes, except when they win against the Russians of course.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good point actually - they have this very nasty trait of being fairly good in Ice Hockey. Gets on your nerve sometimes, except when they win against the Russians of course.
Wait .. you mean there are other people who knows how to play ice hockey apart from Canadians?

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Status Update: All scenarios ever having games recorded in AREA now in APCR.

Will be loading in a few more bootstrap players data then will try be looking to do a big load to get up to 15k Games played (this weekend I hope)

APCR now has

Publishers : 47
Publications: 958
People: 2010
Scenarios: 2596
Games: 2159
Tournaments : 392
Ratings : 66284 (A two monthly record for each player for Tournament, Friendly since they first recorded a game) (Full recalc in 7-10 seconds)

Core tables :10
Views : 10
Helper functions: 4
Calculation Engines 1

If any structural changes occur the entire system can be rebuilt from flatfiles in 15-20 mins

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Quick update all the Scenarios Players and Tournaments are in place to support a load of the AREA Game data

About 89% of the AREA game data is usable (9300 of 10442 games), all player scenario and tournament data is now in APCR
along with 2393 games from 7 seed players to prove out algorithm. Several bugs found hunted down and eliminated like vermin!

All Going well I expect to have 11500 games in the system by the end of the weekend and be able to give the first, how do tournament rating look
compared to AREA ratings with a similar data set answers.

Publishers : 47
Publications: 961
People: 2035
Scenarios: 2702
Games: 2393
Tournaments : 392
Ratings : 66941 (A two monthly record for each player for Tournament, Friendly since they first recorded a game) (Full recalc in 7-10 seconds)

Core tables :10
Views : 11
Helper functions: 4
Calculation Engines 1

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have to say I am impressed by all the hard work going into this effort. Well done to all involved in keeping player rankings and scenario info, in any format, for the past 30+ years. The wargaming community owes you a debt of gratitude.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Aaron, if you still do not have the results of VASLeague 2018 and of ASO 2018 (never published on AREA) I could send you the files.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
@Aaron Cleavin
I am a bit late to the party in this thread. Enrico lead me to it. Thank you for that.

As a Tournament director I am very interested in any efforts to bring a replacement for the AREA ratings to life. At ASO in Copenhagen we use the ratings for our seedings and it is becoming a problem. It would be great to have an up to date ladder for ASL Tournament scenarios.

That being said, I am every curious to see what principles are used for these rankings. Is there a summary and/or perhaps a place to see a prototype or something ?

Thanks in advance

Bo
/ASO

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
@Aaron Cleavin
I am a bit late to the party in this thread. Enrico lead me to it. Thank you for that.

That being said, I am every curious to see what principles are used for these rankings. Is there a summary and/or perhaps a place to see a prototype or something ?
Bo
Aaron made several posts earlier in the thread that I believe answer your question, but there is no prototype on display yet.

bo_siemsen

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Aaron made several posts earlier in the thread that I believe answer your question, but there is no prototype on display yet.
I've read the thread, but I dont have a clear idea of what will and will not be included and which options there will be for output. Ideally I would like the system to be pretty simple, based on validated tournament games only.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Output, initially via emailed reports then by Web, will be report driven with many different options, I have about 12 parametized views so far and adding more is
very easy. I will post some examples here later today (With Data)

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Quick update now 11584 games in APCR, 9850 tournie game and just under 2k friendlies all with associated players and scenarios.

Calculation engine is working well about 1 minute to calculate everything from 1986 to 2019! (246,000 two monthly rating by player by all game / Tournament

Having seen that each tie game has 2 records in AREA I had halved my data not realizing that non tie game only generated one record.

This means I have another 9000 or so AREA games to ingest, should be done by this weekend.

The really good thing is should I uncover an error in data or logic the db can be rebuilt in 5-10 mins

Danish

CyberASL Open Tournament Director
Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Is the data from august 2017 until now also computed?