New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
Trying to set up things, I see this:
The program is tested against specific versions of VASSAL and VASL, but 6.4.4 isn't on the list in the version you have (IIRC, if you hover over the textbox, you'll get a tooltip).

I ran the test suite using 6.4.4 yesterday and everything passed, and looking at the change log, there doesn't seem to be anything in there that might cause problems, so you can ignore this warning.

ramzon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I updated to 6.4.4 and java then updated the settings and now get this message and program will not open.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I updated to 6.4.4 and java then updated the settings and now get this message and program will not open.
Sigh... Yes, this looks like a bug.

Open an Explorer window and go to your home directory e.g. C:\Users\ramzon. In there, you will see a file called vasl-templates.ini - this is where the settings are stored. Double-click on it (or right-click and open it with Notepad) and change the VASL version from 6.4.4 back to 6.4.3. The program should now start.

ramzon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Open an Explorer window and go to your home directory e.g. C:\Users\ramzon. In there, you will see a file called vasl-templates.ini - this is where the settings are stored. Double-click on it (or right-click and open it with Notepad) and change the VASL version from 6.4.4 back to 6.4.3. The program should now start.
Thank you it is now working.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

That did not work for me.

I get:

Which is correct since I do not have 6.4.3 locally.

How to fix?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Of course when I set it back to 6.4.4 I get:

So back to square one, not working at all.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
So the only way to get the program to work is to only run it with 6.4.3?

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
So the only way to get the program to work is to only run it with 6.4.3?
For now, yes. It won't affect your game, vasl-templates just uses it to show the counter images, and update .vsav files (if you use that feature).

I'm not quite sure what's going on. Things work properly on Linux, but I got the same thing when I tried on Windows. EDIT: Tried again, and things worked. I think there might be a timing issue during startup. Sigh...

Last edited:

The Rookie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really like this thought of using this feature. My problem is when I try to paste the snippet into the label there is no past option. I have tried clicking both right and left nothing. I check WORD and the html is on the clipboard, so I know that is working properly. I am running VASSAL 3.2.17 and VASL 6.4.3. I assume I am missing something either when I read the instructions or maybe something is/isn't checked in the preferences but I could be wrong. I pasted the snippet into WORD and retyped the html into the label and that works, but in reading the instructions it implies to me that I should be able to just paste to the label. Thoughts?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You have to add the snippet to a label. Those are in the draggable overlays. Then you just past the html in to that.

The Rookie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have to add the snippet to a label. Those are in the draggable overlays. Then you just past the html in to that.
I have added the label overlay, cleared line 2, created the snippet, but when I try to paste it into the label nothing happens. I don't even have the option of doing a paste. As I noted earlier if I open MS WORD I can paste the html there but can't to the label so I know the data is on the clipboard. There must be a step I am missing here.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I have added the label overlay, cleared line 2, created the snippet, but when I try to paste it into the label nothing happens. I don't even have the option of doing a paste. As I noted earlier if I open MS WORD I can paste the html there but can't to the label so I know the data is on the clipboard. There must be a step I am missing here.
This is odd. How are you pasting? Ctrl-V? What about Shift-Insert? Are you running any kind of clipboard manager? Maybe an overzealous anti-virus?

Try pasting the snippet into Notepad (nb: or any other plain-text editor, not Word), copying from there, then pasting into VASSAL.

Can you copy and paste the following bit of HTML from below into VASSAL?
Code:
<html>this is <b>bold

The Rookie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is odd. How are you pasting? Ctrl-V? What about Shift-Insert? Are you running any kind of clipboard manager? Maybe an overzealous anti-virus?

Try pasting the snippet into Notepad (nb: or any other plain-text editor, not Word), copying from there, then pasting into VASSAL.

Can you copy and paste the following bit of HTML from below into VASSAL?
Code:
<html>this is <b>bold
Ok, totally embarrassed. I was using Ctrl-P to paste not Ctrl-V. It now works great. Thanks!!