Dense Jungle and board edges.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For on-board units in an otherwise interior Dense Jungle hex on such a map-board edge (usually occurring on the interior 1/2 board map edge) would a Straying DR have to be made if otherwise applicable?
  • Is the off-board terrain considered OG as per entry stipulations thus negating the requirements for a Straying DR?
  • Is the off-board terrain considered a Mirror image of the on-board terrain per exit stipulations?
  • Does it matter if the board edge is designated as an entry/exit board edge?
  • What if it can be either/both?
Thanks for any thoughts and especially any rule notations.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't have a good answer for that. I would submit it for a q&a.

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Definitely worth the Q to Perry, but given the definition of such hexes:

G2.2 ...an Interior dense-jungle hex (i.e., a woods hex adjacent to six other woods/brush/marsh hexes)...​
...you would have to be able declare three off-board hexes to be swamp, bamboo, or jungle (even light jungle as per an existing Q&A). Still, it seems more likely to work this way than by treating off-board hexes like OG (as per entry). Those hexes are "appear" only on the "offboard setup map" which has no rôle to play other than entry:

A2.51 All terrain on an offboard setup map is considered Open Ground ...​
Otherwise, units exiting any board edge (including an entry board edge) would be exiting into a mirror-image hex in accordance with A2.6.

So unless and until Perry weighs in, I would say that straying applies if all surrounding hexes (or mirror hexes) are woods/brush/marsh hexes.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely worth the Q to Perry, but given the definition of such hexes:

G2.2 ...an Interior dense-jungle hex (i.e., a woods hex adjacent to six other woods/brush/marsh hexes)...​
...you would have to be able declare three off-board hexes to be swamp, bamboo, or jungle (even light jungle as per an existing Q&A). Still, it seems more likely to work this way than by treating off-board hexes like OG (as per entry). Those hexes are "appear" only on the "offboard setup map" which has no rôle to play other than entry:

A2.51 All terrain on an offboard setup map is considered Open Ground ...​
Otherwise, units exiting any board edge (including an entry board edge) would be exiting into a mirror-image hex in accordance with A2.6.

So unless and until Perry weighs in, I would say that straying applies if all surrounding hexes (or mirror hexes) are woods/brush/marsh hexes.
That's how we ended up playing it but a word to the wise for scenario designers, it may be an issue they wish to address with an SSR.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would probably play as if such board edge half-hexes are not interior Dense Jungle hexes - i.e., Straying not possible, as I am not sure the offboard hexes exists for this purpose.