ASL in Chengdu, Sichuan, China - 20 & 21 April 2019

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Only one scenario with the Chinese? ! But at least PTO in three out of four rounds - my kind of tourney. Wishing you a long lasting success, so I can come some year!!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Flight booked. I'll be in Chengdu that Friday afternoon April 19th, so if anyone is looking for some pre-tournament play, please inquire at the desk about which room I am in. Note that I will only be bringing some dice with me--not even a pocket ASLRB. Packing and travelling light.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only ASL stuff I will be bringing from the other side of the planet will be playtest versions of the Broken Ground Chinese and Japanese counters. They are cut and pasted and look good enough to use and enjoy. With luck, these guys come along as well...
I am STILL looking to set up an ASL play a monster scenario on Friday, before the tournament. Will anyone be there on the 18th? I am also awaiting confirmation of the arrival of a famous ASLer coming in from Europe.
Zhen, when will you be arriving at the hotel? Please pm me with your home phone number in China.
ASL, China, wow!!!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Flight booked. I will apply for a VISA later today and book my hotel too. See you guys soon!

Edit: hotel booked at the Kempinksi (sp?) for 3 nights.
Will, will you be there Friday, the 19th? I would be looking for an pre-tourney scenario.
Zhen, when will you be available?
Also, I'll be travelling real light so I hope others will bring enough gear so I can borrow the usage of others ASL gear.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I arrive late on the 19th and will be easy prey for those looking for easy wins. Doubt I will play half the scenarios and still have to work on setups/etc.

Bringing my standard travel set (old counters). Japanese/Germans vs US/UK/Soviet

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reservation made--I'll be at the IBIS Chengdu Kehua. Also within walking distance.
See you all there!

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
My Flight (BR765) arrives 1815. Something I'd be keen on if Brian and Will are interested would be to play the 3-player scenario from Festung Budapest. I refer to FB-14 "At The Narrow Passage". I should be good to start about 2100.

Would you guys be into that ? (I'd be happy to bring the FB gear)

John.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes! More than happy to start anything on Friday. I'll be in China by then for the second week, and will be staying at the Ibis Chengdu Kehua Hotel. I'll also give Zhen my China phone # once there. I am also bringing along a copy of Gung Ho! still in its shrink wrap for sale--or maybe as a prize?7990
Gung Ho! was a very influential module for me in my life. Because of ASL I became interested in China. Because of that interest I met my future wife and have been counting my blessings ever since.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Flight (BR765) arrives 1815. Something I'd be keen on if Brian and Will are interested would be to play the 3-player scenario from Festung Budapest. I refer to FB-14 "At The Narrow Passage". I should be good to start about 2100.

John.
Ahh, this is the Friday you mentioned. I don't arrive until 22:10 and will need to figure out transportation to the hotel. No way I can participate other than in spirit.

Hope you guys can find a 3rd.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
TD : what are your thoughts?

OB9 First Crack at Hellzapoppin' Ridge -- refers to "Jungle Debris". I assume each hex is +1 hindrance and that it's a soft hindrance to FL. Is that correct? I can't find references to it on MMP's Support site.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahh, this is the Friday you mentioned. I don't arrive until 22:10 and will need to figure out transportation to the hotel. No way I can participate other than in spirit.

Hope you guys can find a 3rd.
Will, will see when you get at the venue!
Get to the South Chengdu train station, Chengdunan 成都南.
https://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/chengdu-south-railway-station.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_South_railway_station
This drops you off in the Wuhou district. Now you are within 20 minutes walking distance of your hotel.
Zhen, can you provide a map in Chinese and English? Your attached maps to your Tournament flyer have everything we need, but most of it is in Chinese.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

John.
John,
As long as you get there early enough and we can rendezvous early enough, I am willing to play anything! FB would be a good choice with only needing mapsheets as opposed to boards.
Also, would anyone be interested in buying some of Broken Ground's counter sheets? If so, let me know in advance and I can bring these with me. The BG Hungarians would be fun to use if we go this FB route. See the Broken Ground website for prices.
http://www.brokenground.design/
Instead of paying a lot of $$$$ for postage, those interested can just used that saved $$$ to buy me a Tsingtao beer or two (给我一杯啤酒=Gěi wǒ yībēi píjiǔ).

I am NOT a salesperson. BG's owner, Alan, is one of my newer ASL friends and I never mind doing friends a favor.
Then again, always looking forward to making new ASL friends this April.

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
TD : what are your thoughts?

OB9 First Crack at Hellzapoppin' Ridge -- refers to "Jungle Debris". I assume each hex is +1 hindrance and that it's a soft hindrance to FL. Is that correct? I can't find references to it on MMP's Support site.
I'm not the TD, but if I was, I'd be thinking that the characteristics of "Jungle Debris" are described in SSR 1: "exactly like Light Jungle except it is inherent terrain, is a half-level LOS hindrance instead of a two-level LOS obstacle, and Air Bursts are NA". [All of this makes it different to the Jungle Debris rules from Suicide Creek (p.Z63 SC2).]

Any hindrance is "+1" unless explicitly described as otherwise. As to whether it's "hard" or "soft" that appears to be an unanswered question (unanswered for the "tougher" SC jungle debris, too). As TD the question I would then ask is "is it more like brush (soft) or orchard (hard)?", and IMO hard is more likely. (See also B35.2 for a kind-of-similar example. The general implication seems to me to be, if there are trees involved, it's a hard FL hindrance.)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm not the TD, but if I was, I'd be thinking that the characteristics of "Jungle Debris" are described in SSR 1: "exactly like Light Jungle except it is inherent terrain, is a half-level LOS hindrance instead of a two-level LOS obstacle, and Air Bursts are NA". [All of this makes it different to the Jungle Debris rules from Suicide Creek (p.Z63 SC2).]

Any hindrance is "+1" unless explicitly described as otherwise. As to whether it's "hard" or "soft" that appears to be an unanswered question (unanswered for the "tougher" SC jungle debris, too). As TD the question I would then ask is "is it more like brush (soft) or orchard (hard)?", and IMO hard is more likely. (See also B35.2 for a kind-of-similar example. The general implication seems to me to be, if there are trees involved, it's a hard FL hindrance.)
Right .. and I think it makes a substantial difference as to whether it's soft/hard hindrance. I think a ruling on this before the tourney will be good.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
B35 (light woods) goes out of its way to describe it as 'hard' but the SSR has no such wording. My guess is that the God's at MMP made a slight mistake proofing it.

Intersting that debris (O1) does not mention it.

However, the truth seems to be in A9.22 which lists the ones that do "not" apply, implying that both debris (O1) and "Jungle Debris" found here would apply to firelanes.

However, neither NVR (E1.1) nor any SMOKE/brush/grain/marsh/FFE/LV-(E3.1)/DLV-(F11.6)/Dust-(F11.794)/hut-(G5.21) Hindrance affects LOS for Fire Lane placement/attack purposes.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
B35 (light woods) goes out of its way to describe it as 'hard' but the SSR has no such wording. My guess is that the God's at MMP made a slight mistake proofing it.

Intersting that debris (O1) does not mention it.

However, the truth seems to be in A9.22 which lists the ones that do "not" apply, implying that both debris (O1) and "Jungle Debris" found here would apply to firelanes.

However, neither NVR (E1.1) nor any SMOKE/brush/grain/marsh/FFE/LV-(E3.1)/DLV-(F11.6)/Dust-(F11.794)/hut-(G5.21) Hindrance affects LOS for Fire Lane placement/attack purposes.
The INDEX has Hard Hindrances and Soft Hindrances .. one can take either one and say it imply the other since Jungle Debris is not in either.