So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used some VotG NKVD counters - the SSR is nearly the same as the VotG rule (EXC : the commissar generate by Field Promotion is automatically a 9-1, whilst the VotG rule has a table where a dr allows different types of leaders).
We did the same but stuck to the spirit of the SSR with regards to ldr creation (of which there was none for the NKVD folks).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
We did the same but stuck to the spirit of the SSR with regards to ldr creation (of which there was none for the NKVD folks).
There is a leader creation possibility - see last sentence of SSR2 - but I was wrong : it is a 9-0 one (not 9-1... which doesn't exist anyway - doh!).

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Bunker scenario Brandenburger Blitz [DB145] I had a lot of fun playing this as the Partisans until they completely collapsed on turn five. Despite breaking my only INF gun on turn one close combat tended to cause the Germans more casualties than the paltry fire attacks I could muster. There are a lot of weak squads to confront the Germans so it was sometimes possible to encircle them as they moved through the eastern village. I am still wondering about my setup as there are a number of options.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In my first round at Nor'Easter today, I played DB135 KRINKERTEWALD versus Keith Hill. I had the defending Americans. I used up all my snipers for the weekend, I believe. Germans start off board. First one enters. I fire and get an effect. Keith rolls three, my SAN. I roll a one. There are only two possible targets on board, one being the enemy sniper. My sniper hits and breaks the German infantry. Second German comes on; same thing happens. Third German comes on; same thing happens. Crazy. I had only one other sniper activation much later in the game, but wow. I won the battle.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In my second round at Nor'Easter, I played against Kedge Johnson. The scenario was BFP88 THE BUNKERED VILLAGE. I had the Russian defender. I planned to give up about half the village slowly and placed my best assets on the side I wanted to keep. Kedge attackedf where I hoped he would. After five turns, Kedge had lost three tanks and one tank was shocked. His infantry had taken significant casualties. I had lost most of the front troops, but he was just reaching my pillboxes with MMG. Because of those factors, and the time (11:00 PM, playing since 5 PM), he decided to concede.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In my second round at Nor'Easter, I played against Kedge Johnson. The scenario was BFP88 THE BUNKERED VILLAGE. I had the Russian defender.
Not belittling the relevance of your tactical decisions, but it's a pretty difficult venture for the German attacker.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not belittling the relevance of your tactical decisions, but it's a pretty difficult venture for the German attacker.
Played it once and though we came down to the bitter end I do "feel" it was a bit pro-Russian as I had to take some quite risky chances that paid off mid-game but I finally ran out of steam with my Germans as we approached the end line. A VERY fun scenario nonetheless.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My Nor'Easter round three opponent was David Ginnard. We played YASL07 MAKING A BREAK FOR IT. I had the attacking British. When I first looked at the German setup, my gut said to try the city side but the open ground at the start scared me away. Unfortunately, attacking through the woods was doing what Dave was expecting. Around turn four, I was starting to doubt that I could exit enough points. After turn five I was sure and I conceded. The interesting anecdote from this game was shooting into a melee to clear the way and rolling a 1KIA. Random selection chose both units and really cleared the way.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HF 2 Retardo the Brave vs Bob. Bob's Germans came up short due to not winning two CC's on the last game turn, We both had a blast as our dice went from cold to hot to cold. Fantastic scenario with lots of replayability that is for sure.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I played it a couple of years ago as the attacking Germans and lost. It is challenging for the Germans but not impossible. One has to be careful not to screw up the set-up area as the German. I seem to recall that when people posted about this scenario here in the forum, that it was done wrong twice. This scenario was fun to play as far as I remember (I rated it 6 out of 10).

von Marwitz

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J95 Typical German Response, losing a close(?) one as the Germans. The Germans have to take and hold hex N20 and break or kill all British units - a seriously tall task! I split my men into two even groups and hit the British from the north and east. Moving through all that congested terrain made it slow going. Slow pressure pushed the Brits back and by turn 5 (of 6) several of my men were within a hex of the victory location N20. Most of his men were broken but two things prevented me from pulling this off.

One British squad made a run for one of the corners of the board to make me send some squads on a wild goose chase to catch it. This wasn't what my friend initially planned to do with it, but since the squad was out of position, he used him to soak up some manpower. My men cornered the squad, broke it, and then surrounded it for the next turn capture. The squad then self-rallied with a field-promotion and proceeded to break or kill all three and half squads on his tail!

Though that effectively ended the game at the bottom of turn 5, taking the pillbox location at O20 was also going poorly for my troops. By the time my men were within decent firing distance, the +5 (really at least a +6 or more with all the hindrances around it) made the few shots they took at it meaningless.

Earlier I wrote "close(?)" in that had that one squad not pulled a miracle and self-rallied, with several squads squads close to the pillbox, who knows what might have happened on turn 6. I feel I still would have come up short, but you never know...

Still, I liked the scenario. It was definitely a tough challenge. I don't agree the German balance would improve their chances. I think the Germans would have a more reasonable chance for the win if they only have to achieve one of the two victory conditions perhaps with the trade off of one less turn (that would force the Germans to push hard throughout the scenario).

Oh yeah, with no height for the radio, the German OBA was pretty much useless.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Devil's Armpit (BFP 128) My poles made a go at liberating Andrzejewo from the Nazi scum today. We failed. The attack started off good. The Support Platoon provide good smoke for both the central and left flank company size attacks which made good progress early. However, German resistance strengthened, polish morale faltered and you know the rest of the story. Roar has this 4-0 Germans and it's now 5-0. Don't expect that goose-egg to change soon.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My fourth game at Nor'Easter was J178 OLD FRIENDS with Lou Serio. I had the attacking Americans. Unfortunately, Lou decided to concede around midnight because of fatigue. By then, we had completed four turns. I had taken four of seven required buildings. I had destroyed all the German AFV and I had lost half of the American AFV. The highlight of the game for me was having a Sherman M4A3-76 keep rate during a German movement phase to break an attacking HS, an attacking squad and an attacking Panther with an APCR turret hit.

The real challenge during this round, however, was sitting next to Ron Duenskie and Dave Ginnard playing the same scenario. I never heard so much constant loud trash talking and whining as I did during that time. That is just how they like to play ASL together..

Last edited:

TomK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today I played BFP-128, The Devil’s Armpit, with Walt McWilliams. My Germans slowed the Poles down long enough to allow the reserves time to solidify the line.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
In my first round at Nor'Easter today, I played DB135 KRINKERTEWALD versus Keith Hill. I had the defending Americans. I used up all my snipers for the weekend, I believe. Germans start off board. First one enters. I fire and get an effect. Keith rolls three, my SAN. I roll a one. There are only two possible targets on board, one being the enemy sniper. My sniper hits and breaks the German infantry. Second German comes on; same thing happens. Third German comes on; same thing happens. Crazy. I had only one other sniper activation much later in the game, but wow. I won the battle.
fun scenario but I think this is a bit tough for the Germans. Michael stuffed me up front real good with all those damn snipers and well placed PFZ then adroitly fell back to cover the last two VC locations. great opponent

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My final game at Nor'Easter was a semi-teaching session with Rich Vieira. We played HF4 LIEHR LAUNCHES FIRST. This was his second time in the weekend playing the American defender, which he chose to do. I used smoke protection to push aggressively up the German right. I had some initial success eliminating Americans for FtR. I took a big risk with the wrong tank (a Panther with an armour leader, instead of a Pz4 with a +1 stun) to prevent an American leader, squad, MMG combo from laying a fire lane. When Rich asked what he could do about it, I explained CC reaction fire to him and that "I was living dangerously" by placing the tank there. Of course he rolled low enough to eliminate it. My dice went really cold in German turn five, giving me a lot of broken Germans, so I decided to concede. Rich had placed one HIP M10 in the rear of the woods clump and the other in an orchard hex near the victory intersection.

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Nor'Easter round three opponent was David Ginnard. We played YASL07 MAKING A BREAK FOR IT. I had the attacking British. When I first looked at the German setup, my gut said to try the city side but the open ground at the start scared me away. Unfortunately, attacking through the woods was doing what Dave was expecting. Around turn four, I was starting to doubt that I could exit enough points. After turn five I was sure and I conceded. The interesting anecdote from this game was shooting into a melee to clear the way and rolling a 1KIA. Random selection chose both units and really cleared the way.
View attachment 7975
Played "Houllie" in this one a while back and yes it's a tough grind though the woods. |As I looked at it later it does offer a somewhat covered and concealed appoach thu the woods of the overlay to the village and good bounding terrain within once inside the village proper. Also one may be able to put down supressive and flanking fires from the Woods (brush) in the center to preclude a rapid reinforcement of the town and displacement of German forces as well. Either way its good old smash mouth tooth and nail ASL. (I lost as the Brits as well though I was on the back hexrow-may have gotten 1 or two off, but not enough)

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Noreaster was great fun, many great opponents and fun scenarios. But, the first round matchup v John W. the Fifth in the Saturday Fog of War mini was super fun

we both chose RPT 124 Farmyard Affray and we both bid Canadians. we diced for it and he got the defending Germans and the squad upgrade balance. Elite Canadians have to rush forward through a few building locations then fall back to a VC area. Simulates an attack/counter attack

the Canadians used MTR to smoke VC building defenders on the left and braved weak German fire to quickly get one location VP point. a half squad ran at the lone German half squad on the right. he did not fire at the half squad so a full Canadian squad moved then advanced up concealed adjacent. Canadians made great first turn progress and were feeling quit confident

during his turn he reinforced the VC building and Canadians could not stop him. but, ever worst, was the lone German half squad advancing into CC v concealed Elite Canadian full squad. the kid rolls ambush, then snake-eyes, and then rolls up a 8-1! I knew I should'a sent more guys over there. my game went downhill from there

he then commenced to pound the Canadians in the buildings as they scramble to accrue VC points. by the time the Canadians were able to fallback to the final VC area they had just enough CVP left, but his reinforcements entered. there was no way the Canadians had enough to survive two more turns, so I conceded

fun scenario, great opponent. nice seeing young guys playing ASL even when they kick my ass