So what scenarios have you played Recently?

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played DB143 Fausts at Wethen with Steve Bond today, and the losing streak continues (due to hitting the CVP cap of 19). As the Americans, I could not find a way to crack his defenses, and the half-tracks went up in flames way too easily to MG fire.

I kept out of range of his 'fausts and 'schrecks, but never was able to really put any pressure on his defensive line. I managed one WP shot before it was depleted from my entire OOB, which surely didn't help.

I am beginning to think that when a CVP cap is in place, half-tracks are more of a hindrance than anything else. At 5 CVP each when destroyed (with no CS), they are too costly to try and make effective use of. Drive them one hex on the board, unload them, and then keep them the hell away from his lines.

Alan

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am beginning to think that when a CVP cap is in place, half-tracks are more of a hindrance than anything else. At 5 CVP each when destroyed (with no CS), they are too costly to try and make effective use of. Drive them one hex on the board, unload them, and then keep them the hell away from his lines.
If the cap is low then yes, halftracks should be kept out of harms way as a rule. You can look at using them in firegroups at longer ranges and/or look at taking the MGs off them. With 19 CVP to give you might look at sacrificing one or two for some VBM freeze sleaze, but you definitely want to be in a position where you choose when to sacrifice them.

JR

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played DB124 Death on the Eismeer Strasse at our Twin Cities meet-up today. A perfect activity in front of our impending 12" snowfall.

A nice 1/2 board 52 all-infantry forest fight with eight SSR-juiced up Russian 628s, 9-2, 8-1, 12 x ? with a DC defending a column of 4 x ambushed German trucks (represented by wreck counters) and a roadblock. The Russian gets points for being in or adjacent to the roadblock hex each turn (gaining VP at the end of the Russian turn equal to the turn). He also gets a VP for each truck successfully scrounged with each elapsed turn granting a -1 DRM for the scrounge attempt (which may only be attempted once per wreck). Finally, the Russian gains VP equal to EVP for units exited off the map starting after Turn 4. The Russian need >=12 VP to win.

The Germans enter on two sides of the board. Roughly 2/3 and 1/3. 13 x 468 squad equivalents with leaders and some hardware. The Germans moved quickly to engage keeping concealment wherever possible. The Germans struggled to do much of anything the first few turns casualty-wise. Meanwhile, the Russians successfully scrounged a few trucks. CC was the rule of the day and the Huns got ambushed nearly every time (helped by the SSR making Russians stealthy) and bit badly with a couple Russian 1,1s. I was probably down ~3 to 4 squads and a -1 leader by the end of my turn three. I was really getting concerned.

Like a couple Greco-Roman wrestlers we maneuvered for position. I was able to surround 2 x 628, 9-2 with four different adjacent locations. A 9-1 threw a DC, survived the 16, residual 8 and subsequent FF 8 FP. I roll the DC result at 30+3 and get a 6,5 for a PTC which they passed. My idiot 9-1 breaks on a 4MC. However, in the next fire attack I am able to break the 2 x 628s and they FTR. Another shot on a different nearby 628 breaks him for another FTR.

In my Turn 4, I get lucky am able to clear the roadblock (with a -4 DRM) which allows me to subtract four VP from the Russian tally. By this time, The German has lost a number of squads, but now, so had the Russian. German losses didn't penalize them and it was clear the Russians needed to pull back and regroup conceding this battle, but ready to exact revenge another day.

A really interesting puzzle of a scenario that we both liked. The Germans struggled to get any break the first few turns and the German commander voiced his extreme irritation with his troops. However, they somehow redeemed the situation at the right time.

Plays fast and both of us could see it going either way. Currently 10-10 on ROAR. Check it out for an evening of gaming. Thanks to Matt for a great game and puting up with my colorful language.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I played DB124 Death on the Eismeer Strasse at our Twin Cities meet-up today. A perfect activity in front of our impending 12" snowfall.

A nice 1/2 board 52 all-infantry forest fight with eight SSR-juiced up Russian 628s, 9-2, 8-1, 12 x ? with a DC defending a column of 4 x ambushed German trucks (represented by wreck counters) and a roadblock. The Russian gets points for being in or adjacent to the roadblock hex each turn (gaining VP at the end of the Russian turn equal to the turn). He also gets a VP for each truck successfully scrounged with each elapsed turn granting a -1 DRM for the scrounge attempt (which may only be attempted once per wreck). Finally, the Russian gains VP equal to EVP for units exited off the map starting after Turn 4. The Russian need >=12 VP to win.

The Germans enter on two sides of the board. Roughly 2/3 and 1/3. 13 x 468 squad equivalents with leaders and some hardware. The Germans moved quickly to engage keeping concealment wherever possible. The Germans struggled to do much of anything the first few turns casualty-wise. Meanwhile, the Russians successfully scrounged a few trucks. CC was the rule of the day and the Huns got ambushed nearly every time (helped by the SSR making Russians stealthy) and bit badly with a couple Russian 1,1s. I was probably down ~3 to 4 squads and a -1 leader by the end of my turn three. I was really getting concerned.

Like a couple Greco-Roman wrestlers we maneuvered for position. I was able to surround 2 x 628, 9-2 with four different adjacent locations. A 9-1 threw a DC, survived the 16, residual 8 and subsequent FF 8 FP. I roll the DC result at 30+3 and get a 6,5 for a PTC which they passed. My idiot 9-1 breaks on a 4MC. However, in the next fire attack I am able to break the 2 x 628s and they FTR. Another shot on a different nearby 628 breaks him for another FTR.

In my Turn 4, I get lucky am able to clear the roadblock (with a -4 DRM) which allows me to subtract four VP from the Russian tally. By this time, The German has lost a number of squads, but now, so had the Russian. German losses didn't penalize them and it was clear the Russians needed to pull back and regroup conceding this battle, but ready to exact revenge another day.

A really interesting puzzle of a scenario that we both liked. The Germans struggled to get any break the first few turns and the German commander voiced his extreme irritation with his troops. However, they somehow redeemed the situation at the right time.

Plays fast and both of us could see it going either way. Currently 10-10 on ROAR. Check it out for an evening of gaming. Thanks to Matt for a great game and puting up with my colorful language.
For those interested, see the following link for an illustration of the scenario:

Also a short note from my playing as the Russian from around two years ago:

I played the Russian in this one. Probably, this is the side for which it might be easier to set up. At least, I have not yet been struck with an idea how to set this best up as the German. My opponent decided to have all of his northern forces enter from the more eastern side to form one large combined force. At least in our game it did not appear too difficult to slow the German down enough to safely scrounge all trucks and collect some VP for the roadblock. As it appeared that the Russians were without doubt being able to keep the Germans not even in sight of the Roadblock until after turn 3 and the western half of the north-edge was free of Germans and German fire, my opponent felt that there was nothing to keep the Russian from bringing this home. So without any casualties on either side at this point, the game was conceded to make it a Russian win.

von Marwitz

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Luck Would Have It. ASL WO30. Normandy ‘44, British Airborne must slow or stop Panzergrenadiers and assorted vehicles. This is on the new board 11a. My defense was too far foreword and too spread out. I should have covered the exit area and VP buildings better. Most of my opponents Germans came on in the east. I tried to fall back, but got run over. The Germans need to win by 8 VP, they won by 16!

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a fun scenario FrF29 Sting of the Italian Hornet. To win, the Canadians have to take a bunch of stone buildings including both factory overlays; one way forward and the other about half as far back. As the Italians, I initially packed most of my good men and equipment in the forward factory. My hope was to repulse the Canadians as they traversed the sparsely covered western end of board 24. After we got snowed out last weekend, I reassessed and realized there were many problems with that line of thought. The forward factory could easily be cut off, it could be swarmed by 1/2 squads, and some lucky FFE rolls could quickly reduce the resistance in there - especially with a crummy 1 ELR. I ended up putting mostly lower quality troops in there to skulk, delay, and then fall back while my stronger units protected the western factory. Turned out to be a good move as the forward factory fell in a series of CCs but held up the Canadians long enough that they never threatened the 2nd factory. I think the wild card is the OBA, if the Canadians get lucky with it early, the Italians could crumble (only two leaders and the aforementioned 1 ELR). In our game, it didn't play a role. My friend was unable to get radio contact early and by the time he finally laid down a well placed smoke barrage on the 2nd factory on turn 5, it was too late to make a difference. The dice rolls for both sides were very good as my sniper (SAN 4) was pretty active. However, timely rolls by me kept the Canadians from making a major breakthrough and held them up long enough for the win. One cool thing was that I used an ammo vehicle for the first time. Not that it did anything (other than make sure the SMV M41M didn't run out of ammo), but after 30 years of ASL, I finally used that counter. I guess I could say the same about the SMV M41M as well. In fact, I'm sure I will never have the chance to ever use it again. Glad it ended up being useful by taking out two tanks. I'd recommend this scenario for either side.

Last edited:

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP 127 - The Road to Warsaw

Tom Kearney and I jumped back into our exploration of BFP's Poland in Flames after a brief hiatus for some play testing. Roar has this heavily favoring the German so Tom was kind enough to give me the balance. It worked, and I eked out a victory with a win on the final CC roll of the game.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Erik Lindblad and I played DB139 A HARD RAIN'S GONA FALL. This scenario has two unique special rules that make it interesting to play. One SSR allows all Japanese MG to place fire lanes at the beginning of the Australian MPh, before any movement. The units doing so must only roll for cower. The other neat SSR grants self-rally capability to all Australian elite and first line MMC. I had the Japanese defender in our game. The Aussies wish to exit 5 VP or make the four HMG/MMG not good order. Erik came up the middle and gradually shifted to his left, but the multiple interlocking fire lanes prevented the Aussies from big movement. The Japanese have 4 LMG, 2 MMG and 2 HMG (one is a .50). I think I had good dice; there were quite a few broken and dead Aussie units. In the fourth Japanese turn a low odds CC against his most forward stack went my way to seal the deal; Erik conceded at that point.

View attachment 7806
Played this at ASLOK and the Aussies (me) were slaughtered. Woof.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played this at ASLOK and the Aussies (me) were slaughtered. Woof.
Played also this one; it was fun. On turn 2, three of the four Japanese MMG/HMGs broke and i rolled three 6 repair drs. The defense fell then entirely on the shoulders of 12.7 HMG, the good, hard-hitting reliable one :). It delivered and broke quite a few Aussies. My opponent did not miss that capturing this last MG would seal the game and several attempts were mounted to assault that tiny 1-2-8 and i used every available FP to prevent a CC occurence. Fortunately Australians became all pinned in succession when about to jump in CC and then were dealt with in the ensuring Prep at PBF. Rince and repeat. The 12.7 HMG eventually rolled boxcars but repaired almost instantly. The Japanese crews devoid of SW did their part and bravely beat back the end game Australian rush, but at the end of the day it depended on the Aussie 9-2 who pinned at the worst possible moment whereas he was about to tip the balance. A fun scenario with innovative SSRs, however i don't like Japanese SAN:5 since the attacker is pretty much doomed if the 9-2 is nailed, me thinks.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Second Step ASL RO2 Beautiful map! My Soviets were taking a pounding the whole time. The 200mm Rocket OBA landed square in the group of 6-2-8s, eliminating 2.5 squads and wounding the 9-2 before the scenario even started. But it also started a fire in Hall 9, which blazed away, and kept it from being a German objective. Hall 8 fell on turn 4. But Hall 8a held fast, in spite of the 45mm ATG being destroyed. The Germans took most of Hall 5, then all of it. But this slowed them down enough to where the assault on Hall 7 was too little too late. Nice, Back to Stalingrad scenario.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Played HF7 Gotta Get Out, through VASL as part of the yearly French VASL tournament.

I was playing the attacking Americans. They have a nice force (11 squads, supported by 4 Shermans and 2 halftracks) against 9 German squads, 9 of them second line, who get two late-war PzIV as reinforcements. The German OB contains a secret choice of either an AT gun, or a 81mm mortar and additional PSK. The thing is, they only have 4 1/2 turns to take the Hatten train station and remove all Good Order German MMCs from 4 different buildings in the village.

I sent a small infantry force south of the rairoad, with two tanks and the M3 halftrack; the rest of my forces attacked north of the railroad, moving for the orchards under cover of the initial smoke. My initial fear was that the approach roads were in very open terrain, with no rally terrain to drop back to, so I had planned for some armored assault.

The intial push south of the railroad was met by mortar fire, which broke a squad but didn't do more damage. The other side went well and I got to the orchards. Later the mortar malfunctioned and Xed out, though the crew managed to find a Panzerfaust and burn a first Sherman.

The scenario went very badly for the Germans, with lots of bad MCs at critical times; it certainly didn't help that my opponent took two early PSK shots from buildings, resulting in broken Germans (and one burning Sherman, to be fair).

By the end of my 3rd turn, I had most of my Infantry within sight of the four buildings that I needed to clear; I had lost two tanks, the Germans had lost one, but most importantly, more than half the German infantry was broken or eliminated. Some more bad luck on the German side resulted in one of the victory buildings being evacuated (9-1, 447 with MMG, in a stone building, broken by a 6FP(+4) attack - that was the first shot of a planned encirclement, barely able to inflict a NMC).

During my 4th turn, I put more pressure and though I lost a squad to a KIA, I also manage to inflict a Failure to Rout by sending a mere halftrack to the back of a building. On the last German turn my opponent tried a desperate attempt to recapture the train station (resulting in a dead PzIV and broken or pinned Germans close by), and what happened to be the last non-dummy MMC in a victory building took a Heat of Battle and... got Berserk, losing Good Order status.

Overall, the scenario is a nice one for the US attacker, but I think I wouldn't have enjoyed it from the German side - it seems to me that they really have to try and keep concealment if they want to stand up to the US firepower, and that means very few options during the game.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Venturi Effect [FT244] I assume this scenario is named for a hydro dynamic formula and in this case, how fast the Americans can cut through the Italians. It still took six of the seven turns to get my 18 CVP off the board in this meeting engagement on top of a hill on board 50. Both sides have artillery but I broke my radio on turn one and a sniper killed the Italian radio man on turn two. Thus, the scenario played out with only one fire mission taking out one of the important Italian 47mm AT Guns which was able to immobilize a Sherman but could not kill it. I believe the only way these two AT Guns will work with are rear/side shots along with deliberate immobilization. Both sides' six morale units do not stand up to fire so it was getting three of the Shermans off that won the game. Perhaps Steven Swann should have added that some infantry is necessary to exit the board. The Americans must not lose 18 CVP so be careful with the half-tracks.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Ray, thank you for posting. In regards to the massacre VP. If the Axis player massacres a Partisan squad, is that 4VP (the normal value for a prisoner squad at game end) or 8VP ( I ask because of the "doubling" wording in the VC)? I think its 4, but several of these new FT scenarios have this VC wording, and thought I'd ask.
We played it as four since there were no prisoners. I will post this to the LFT site.

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland

this is a super fun scenario. plays tight. good re-playability

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played OA8 A Parting Blow as the Germans. Long scenario. My friend called it 3/4th of the way through. I think the game was leaning my way, but I still felt the outcome was in doubt. The scenario was shaping up to be a point blank battle on the level 3 hills by the level 4 board 9 building. I was planning on waiting until the last turn and then pretty much push all my infantry (most of it deployed) and all my vehicles on top of the level 3 hills in that sector (to win, all the Germans need to do is take and hold four level 3+ hills). I figured my friend would dare me to do it and move his tanks and men on the reverse slopes of the level 3 hills (he commanded the heights). However, he got a little careless and I took out two tanks and both 6 pounders - the crews, actually - maneuvering for position. Still, there was still plenty of time and DRs to go, but after breaking a squad manning one of the AT guns, he suddenly called it. After much discussion, he decided it wasn't worth going on for at least a couple more hours just to see if he could stop my rush. I wasn't feeling so excited about the scenario either. I mean, other than a harrassment group I had, for much of it I was just sitting there waiting, so we just ended it. I think the scenario has more potential than how we played it today, and I certainly think my strategy was flawed, but sometimes games develop like this. I would have loved to have seen the turn 9 carnage, but I was OK with moving on.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Road Rage DC Conscripts IC2 Vietnam, 1953, French, backed by two Chafees, must win by x amount of CVP, while driving into an expected ambush. The Viet Minh are all HIP, which makes life interesting.... I plodded forward, trying to avoid any bazookas. The Viet Minh were set up as far out as possible, and tried to fall back in the grass and jungle after inflicting damage. All went well until I found a bazooka the hard way, burning Chafee. With the CVP gain for the tank, the Viet Minh were now in a great position to win. But, once broken and having lost the 7-0 leader, there were too many communists for the commissar to rally. I was able to chase down enough, cause enough damage for the win. Nice scenario.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a very nice game of RO3 Defenders of Stalingrad against my best buddy Steve "Earthpig" Hicks (German) this last weekend. Though the scenario was supposed to be quite pro-Russian our game was a very close run affair and a lot of fun. Steve played a very competent defense and had his MGs eating up my Ruskies at every opportunity. The issue was very doubtful for me until his 9-2 and an 838 went down about mid game, then I thought the game turned 50-50. Finally in the next to last turn I had two hot snipers that took out his last -1 ldr (causing breaks & CRs for the LLMC) and his crew/HMG that allowed me to get in close and finally push him out of Martinovskiy works. With only a 228 and his 8-0 left in GO he was unable to regain a hex of the structure and gave in after his last player turn, short of my T6 half turn. Perhaps extending the game to a full 6 turns could be in order but we had tons of fun nonetheless. Great game Steve!

ASLAddict

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I started yesterday with the scenario "88s in Zon" from the Starterkit 2. New for me are the different altitudes like hills, the AA 88mm FlaK 18 etc. .

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Played a very nice game of RO3 Defenders of Stalingrad against my best buddy Steve "Earthpig" Hicks (German) this last weekend. Though the scenario was supposed to be quite pro-Russian our game was a very close run affair and a lot of fun. Steve played a very competent defense and had his MGs eating up my Ruskies at every opportunity. The issue was very doubtful for me until his 9-2 and an 838 went down about mid game, then I thought the game turned 50-50. Finally in the next to last turn I had two hot snipers that took out his last -1 ldr (causing breaks & CRs for the LLMC) and his crew/HMG that allowed me to get in close and finally push him out of Martinovskiy works. With only a 228 and his 8-0 left in GO he was unable to regain a hex of the structure and gave in after his last player turn, short of my T6 half turn. Perhaps extending the game to a full 6 turns could be in order but we had tons of fun nonetheless. Great game Steve!
I soloed it.
This was the situation at the end of the last German turn.
The following last Russian turn expelled the last Sturmpioneere out of Martinsofen...7922

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I used some VotG NKVD counters - the SSR is nearly the same as the VotG rule (EXC : the commissar generate by Field Promotion is automatically a 9-1, whilst the VotG rule has a table where a dr allows different types of leaders).