Deleting overlays from overlays.....

serpico

Reaction score
Howdy folks!

Question for the VASL gurus.....can you delete gully overlays when placed over a stream overlay? Like the stream overlay 2 for board 38 to cover the airfield....

Once placing the gully overlays over overlay 2, I couldn't remove the gully overlays if I made a mistake, I tried just about every key and couldn't remove them, even off map ones......I'm scratching my head :nuts:

I even tried replacing the board completely and then changing back and it still had the gully overlays.....:yummy::OHNO::eek::bite::mad: Very frustrating to say the least.

Am I missing something or is this an existing glitch, sorry if this has come up before but I haven't been around VASL for quite awhile...:cry::crosseye::mad:

TIA, Paul

PS Suppose I should mention: In the map editor I changed Streams to Dry.....is this why it doesn't work?

Last edited:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
hi serpico,

iirc to remove a map-overlay, you go back into the board-chooser, tag the Overlays button, enter your overlay ID# (such as W3) & mebbe also the bdID#, but leave the hexID#s blank, then tag OK.

if that don't work, it might be easier to rebuild your map from scratch, save it, close it, then open the old game, start a log, select all the ctrs, type ctrl-D, tag Undo, then close the log.

restart VASL, open the new map, open that log & step thru it to 'import' all your ctrs to the new map.

hth?

serpico

Reaction score
Thanks counterman but it don't matter now as VASL didn't save the game set up for me anyhow, all for not!

I should've mentioned, I was talking about Drag able gullie overlays, I couldn't remove those...

But thanks for the info....!

Paul

Last edited:

countermanCX

Mennonite Jihadi
Reaction score
Country
llMalta
wow, either i misunderstood you, or you should've posted your prob more clearly.

for dragovers, you've got to hold down the shift-key whilst you left-click, in order to select/highlight them. once they're selected, you can give a right-click for the menu-display, or drag them out of the way, or ctrl-D Delete or whatever.

dragovers are a differnt animal from map-overlays!

Last edited:

serpico

Reaction score
I though in hindsight I mentioned draggies but maybe not...

I still couldn't remove the overlays by the way you described, so I got frustrated, I tried everything but nothing worked....weird!

Paul

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
I have just found out how to remove overlays. Click on the Map Inventory button, scroll down until your find the overlay you want to delete, right-click on it and press delete. It will disappear. Sorry if this has already been explained somewhere else.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I have just found out how to remove overlays. Click on the Map Inventory button, scroll down until your find the overlay you want to delete, right-click on it and press delete. It will disappear. Sorry if this has already been explained somewhere else.
I believe the map inventory button is an element of an extension, so you have to install the MapInv.mdx extension first if you want to use it.

The overlays from the older draggable overlays (accessible via the "orchard" button or its deluxe partner) can be selected by using shift-click on the overlay. You can then delete using ctrl-D and/or right-click, Delete.

The new terrain overlays (accessible via the "overlays" button) do not seem to be selectable using shift-click on the overlay. I think this is a bug, and I have entered it as such (https://github.com/vasl-developers/vasl/issues/537).

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Can't speak for your machine, but Alt-left-click is the intended key+mouse combo.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
xfce window manager uses alt-left-click to move the window by default. The combination is not passed to the program. Disabling the combination for xfce (Xfce menu, choose settings > settings manager > window manager tweaks > accessibility) gives back the functionality to vasl. Once selected the overlay can be deleted or moved. I have closed the bug.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As mentioned and pointed out in the help file, Alt+left click will reselect an overlay from the overlay extension.

I’m going to add a watermark reminder to all overlays on release of the next version since I’ve learned that help files tend not to be read.

I do have a good reason why I chose alt+left click. It makes scenario set up and play less irritating. PM me if you’d like to learn it.

Allan

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
xfce window manager uses alt-left-click to move the window by default. The combination is not passed to the program. Disabling the combination for xfce (Xfce menu, choose settings > settings manager > window manager tweaks > accessibility) gives back the functionality to vasl. Once selected the overlay can be deleted or moved. I have closed the bug.

JR
Just crossed posted with you JR. Glad you figured out and solved the issue.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I’m going to add a watermark reminder to all overlays on release of the next version since I’ve learned that help files tend not to be read.
I actually looked at the user's guide (help, user's guide). I didn't realize there are multiple help files. I see that now.

JR

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there any way to bind the function to a different key combination?

JR
There is; other options:
ctrl+click
shift+click
alt+click
Any two of the above simultaneously (alt+ctrl+click for example)
All three of the above simultaneously (alt+ctrl+shift+click

alt+click has pretty common usage in VASSAL. Was your instance a one off or will others using your same set up have issues?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There is; other options:
ctrl+click
shift+click
alt+click
Any two of the above simultaneously (alt+ctrl+click for example)
All three of the above simultaneously (alt+ctrl+shift+click

alt+click has pretty common usage in VASSAL. Was your instance a one off or will others using your same set up have issues?
I don't see how to switch bindings. Or are you saying that you could change it in code?

It is a standard key binding for XFCE, the window manager I use on one of my accounts on one of my machines. It was not functionality I was aware of until I needed to understand how the vasl functionality worked on your machine and not mine. I imagine anyone who uses xfce would have the same problem. It is also possible that other window managers use that key combination for similar or different functions. It wasn't something of my doing, but I can't say how widespread the conflict is because you would need to know how many players use window managers that bind to that key combination. Since most users are using windows or macs I'm guessing not a lot, but probably not just me.

JR