VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got a long awaited copy of Operation Veritable. The VASL map is from 2005 and is not up to the standards of the 6+ boards. Is there a updated version available or any plans to update the map?

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would very much have the option to change center dot color temporarily. On some maps and terrain the dots are hard to see.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I would very much have the option to change center dot color temporarily. On some maps and terrain the dots are hard to see.
Alternatively the center dot could be have a second ring with a contrasting color around it, e.g. a black dot surrounded by a white ring.

JR

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Once in awhile, I look at the VASSAL server (using the REFRESH button) to see what other games people are playing. I noticed that ASL is the only game with a "V" in front of it. I have always been slightly annoyed that VASL and VASSAL sound almost the same. Does anyone else think it might be a good idea to change the name of the VASL module to ASL?

Fiedler

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
V stands for Victory. Serves to mark ASL as superiour to all other games.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Once in awhile, I look at the VASSAL server (using the REFRESH button) to see what other games people are playing. I noticed that ASL is the only game with a "V" in front of it. I have always been slightly annoyed that VASL and VASSAL sound almost the same. Does anyone else think it might be a good idea to change the name of the VASL module to ASL?
If we were to change the name of the module, I'd suggest AdvancedSquadLeader.vmod myself. Maybe suffix a -2e for extra clarity at the end. :)

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another 'to get to someday' scenario-specific overlay (i.e., not for a current game):

OA1 "The Road to St. Lo" states that 'all Bocage (Hedges) on hill hexes and hexes adjacent to hill hexes do not exist'. This affects boards e, f, and g. (f and g purely by having bocage adjacent to the board e hill.)

Also, the small hill doesn't exist.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another 'to get to someday' scenario-specific overlay (i.e., not for a current game):

OA1 "The Road to St. Lo" states that 'all Bocage (Hedges) on hill hexes and hexes adjacent to hill hexes do not exist'. This affects boards e, f, and g. (f and g purely by having bocage adjacent to the board e hill.)

Also, the small hill doesn't exist.
I'll fill out a work order for it.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got a long awaited copy of Operation Veritable. The VASL map is from 2005 and is not up to the standards of the 6+ boards. Is there a updated version available or any plans to update the map?
There's not an updated version afaik. I'll take a look when time permits. In the meantime, please clue me in on what's not up to standard. Thanks.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would like a simple text box, please. Sometimes I don't want to play with HTML and stacking line 1 and line 2 counters on top of each other get a little tedious.
This is beyond my pay grade. I submitted it to the people smarter than me...

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are these isolated occurrences or more widespread? If isolated, let me know the board and hex and I can change the center dot color.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's not an updated version afaik. I'll take a look when time permits. In the meantime, please clue me in on what's not up to standard. Thanks.
I'll note that I was just looking at the Pegasus Bridge map and had the same reaction. The trouble there (and probably OVHS) is just the graphics look more primitive... Not a direct scan, or retouched from one. I'd have to stare a while to figure out why it looked off, and how much is the original.

dpabrams77

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey, thanks for asking. Some older HASL campaign maps like Operation Veritable were of a different style than the ASL maps of their time (I get that). However, to compare the existing paper Riley's Road map to the existing VASL board will give you an immediate answer as to the difference in the two. The color contrasts are obvious, the paper map being more subdued and the VASL map being brighter with fewer colors. The VASL map looks as if it was created for a PC game rather than a reproduction of the Riley's Road paper map. The VASL map works but after 17 years could be due for a face lift, that's all. It's playable and I have de-saturated the colors so it looks a tad better but still it's not comparable to the latest boards. Thank you for your consideration.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Overlay Hd2 placement is wrong (one hex row/column shift).
I'm not able to reproduce this. If I use the draggable overlay extension, the overlay drags to the right place. If I use old-style overlays (grenade man, pick new boards) and select Hd2, then place it on N3/N2 or N3/O3 (using board 00), it appears in the right position. Can you give more details of what you did? Also, what version of vasl and vassal are you using?

JR

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm not able to reproduce this. If I use the draggable overlay extension, the overlay drags to the right place. If I use old-style overlays (grenade man, pick new boards) and select Hd2, then place it on N3/N2 or N3/O3 (using board 00), it appears in the right position. Can you give more details of what you did? Also, what version of vasl and vassal are you using?

JR
JR,
I think I have found the reason of this wrong placement. In fact, I've tried to place overlay Hd2 over another overlay, and VASL seems to prohibit this. So it moved the second overlay to prevent any overlapping.
My mistake.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR,
I think I have found the reason of this wrong placement. In fact, I've tried to place overlay Hd2 over another overlay, and VASL seems to prohibit this. So it moved the second overlay to prevent any overlapping.
My mistake.
I placed OW1 on p4/p5, then placed hd2 on o3/o4, which is right on top of OW1 (board 00). Worked. This was using old-style overlay placement, and I put ow1 down first, viewed the map to see what hexes it covered then added hd2. I then tried draggable overlays and had no problem. I can't see any problems with placing hd2, whether on top of other overlays or not. If you are seeing a problem I'm thinking there has to be more to what you did to get it to happen.

JR

Maxwelk1

Reaction score
First name
Lafajita
Country
llUnited States
I placed OW1 on p4/p5, then placed hd2 on o3/o4, which is right on top of OW1 (board 00). Worked. This was using old-style overlay placement, and I put ow1 down first, viewed the map to see what hexes it covered then added hd2. I then tried draggable overlays and had no problem. I can't see any problems with placing hd2, whether on top of other overlays or not. If you are seeing a problem I'm thinking there has to be more to what you did to get it to happen.

JR
I have the same problem when I try to place "classic" overlay Hd2 over "classic" overlay X19. This is a two-hex Hedgerow overlay with position "1" on the open end of the hedgerow depiction.. I placed overlay X19 on board 6, with position "1" on N4 and position "2" on N5. When I attempted to place Hd2 with position "1" (the open side) on N5 and position "2" on M6, the overlay displaced to N6 and M6. Strangely enough, when I reversed the overlay and placed position "1" on M6 and position "2" the closed end), the overlay dropped right into place on M6 (1) and N5 (2). The Draggable overly Hd2 worked just fine.