Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You have a solution.

Don’t skulk and don’t play people who skulk.

I think people who play not wearing pants are tactically bankrupt abominations.

So I always play wearing pants and I don’t play people who don’t.

That’s it. Move on.
When I play anyone, pants are entirely optional.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That CAN'T be German, the words aren't compound and twenty syllables long.
Just to let your mind rest:

I think the "Buchstabiertafeln" with the phonetic alphabet were treated in a manual called

"Der Dienstunterricht im Heere - Ausgabe für den Nachichtensoldaten"

That's close to 60 letters and - indeed - 21 syllables long.

von Marwitz

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Being double concealed is to powerful IMO
Since the goal of skulking, apart from adding needless time and stack tipping delays, is to deny DFire on the cowardly skulkers, 'double concealment' is a greater hazard to skulkers than the accursed skulkers would normally face. It also retains that elegant ASL risk/gain element that rightly accompanies game decisions.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Since the goal of skulking, apart from adding needless time and stack tipping delays, is to deny DFire on the cowardly skulkers, 'double concealment' is a greater hazard to skulkers than the accursed skulkers would normally face. It also retains that elegant ASL risk/gain element that rightly accompanies game decisions.
Not really. The proposal is a permanent area fire, I.e. it can never be lost, at least with sulking you are only denying the DF, you still have to face the full brunt of Prep Fire as well as maintain "room" to move back and forth.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not really. The proposal is a permanent area fire, I.e. it can never be lost, at least with sulking you are only denying the DF, you still have to face the full brunt of Prep Fire as well as maintain "room" to move back and forth.
Facing PFire is a constant; avoiding DFire reduces the number of Fire Phases a DEFENDER is subjected to. In scenarios that meet the current 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' milieu, it adds pressures to the ATTACKER. Players would, obviously, accept facing PFire in order to perform DFire of their own. It doesn't create a scenario-long game of hide and seek.

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
It makes total sense to hide from the enemy fire but remain able to shoot them when they move.
Giving them area fire while in the building doesn't solve anything and makes a difficult position even harder for the attacker. Besides they can still skulk

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It makes total sense to hide from the enemy fire but remain able to shoot them when they move.
Giving them area fire while in the building doesn't solve anything and makes a difficult position even harder for the attacker. Besides they can still skulk
That is the big question for any change intended to reduce/stop skulking. You would have to change/add some kind of exception/restriction to the AM/Advance rules. Without that change, modifying DFire vs a fortified location is pointless since skulking and taking no fire is better than staying and taking reduced fire.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm getting the impression you're not getting what I'm saying

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I very much doubt ASL prides itself on "realism". A game system maybe..

In fact I doubt anybody could mount a strong argument on that including 20yrs +players..

Magpie

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I very much doubt ASL prides itself on "realism". A game system maybe..

In fact I doubt anybody could mount a strong argument on that including 20yrs +players..
I cannot say what ASL prides itself on, but I'd say it is quite realistic and about as good as you can get with a boardgame.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Certainly "realistic" as it seems it's mostly people arguing, which is what reality has devolved to.
;)