Madmen Cometh, July 26-28 2019, Singapore

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Nice, we were slightly warmer, -38, -24 and today we warmed up to -10, but tonight it shorts weather -1 yeah!

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
@Earl Tournament registration and shirt payments confirmed. Thanks much!

In regards to the tours, Aaron is working that but for the most part I believe the cost will just be transportation to/from the location. Fort Canning is free as well as the British War Memorial. Pretty sure Siloso is also free. All worth seeing especially if you have heritage tied to those who fought here.

Meals cost what you want to pay as there is fairly healthy hawker center stuff (along with lots of fried options if you prefer) for around $6 to $10. It goes up from there, but I typically pay between $6 and $15 for lunch. Dinner can be the same or you can go higher. For a course meal in a decent family type setting, $25 to $60 for food. Last time I was at Khansama (see below), it was $40 ish for all you can eat and drink. Don't expect craft beer for that price, but Tiger, Heineken or Kingfisher type stuff. [Prices in SGD where 1 USD ~= 1.40 SGD]

Thursday night after the tours is looking to be a dinner in Little India (easy MRT access) and we will choose a spot with good food and beers at a reasonable price. I will be arriving in my T-34/85 with HE rounds loaded and the area target table selected. Hope I don't roll low on my first shot targeting our table at Khansama! :)

Last edited:

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi guys

moving closer to participating..finalizing my holiday schedule..so 95% chance i will be there!
my first overseas tournament..really looking forward to it!

Cheers

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys

moving closer to participating..finalizing my holiday schedule..so 95% chance i will be there!
my first overseas tournament..really looking forward to it!

Cheers
Great. Got another sign up today in addition to your information, so the day is starting great. Let us know if we are missing any info that might be relevant to your plans.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia
So, it's looking like I might be able to attend this, so I had a look at the scenario list and noted that I don't have any of them. However, I see that the tourney booklet says "[a]dvise your opponent if you have previous experience with a scenario", which suggests that choosing lesser-known scenarios was deliberate.

Now, I don't really care about the competition, per se (i.e. winning or losing), but wouldn't someone who has these scenarios have something of an advantage? I wouldn't mind being able to see them beforehand, so I can make sure I'm across any rules, and have a think about how I might play them (which would surely help reduce setup times?).

What's the thinking here?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, it's looking like I might be able to attend this, so I had a look at the scenario list and noted that I don't have any of them. However, I see that the tourney booklet says "[a]dvise your opponent if you have previous experience with a scenario", which suggests that choosing lesser-known scenarios was deliberate.

Now, I don't really care about the competition, per se (i.e. winning or losing), but wouldn't someone who has these scenarios have something of an advantage? I wouldn't mind being able to see them beforehand, so I can make sure I'm across any rules, and have a think about how I might play them (which would surely help reduce setup times?).

What's the thinking here?
The general practise in all tournaments is to make sure that registrants have access to the scenarios beforehand.

I do like your attitude though, Asia Pac tourneys, like most tourneys I know (if not even more so) is about a whole bunch of great people coming together to play. That's it. :)

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The general practise in all tournaments is to make sure that registrants have access to the scenarios beforehand.
I would not characterise that as a true statement, unless by "all" you mean "some".

The general practice in most Australian tournaments is to not tell the participants what the scenarios are until they turn up on the day. I don't know enough about the specifics for tournaments in other regions to make general comments. (Obviously for "open gaming" tournaments like ASLOK the participants themselves determine what the scenarios will be.)

IIRC previous Asia-Pac tournaments have made the scenarios available to participants if they don't have them already. (That can make things a bit tricky if they're third-party scenarios that use their own maps or overlays, or indeed use their own particular rules for unique terrain types or whatever. For Australian tournaments, the TD will advise the participants in advance about "rules you should brush up on" and similar "unusual" prerequisites. I guess the Asia-Pac TD needs to prepare a specific "rules document" or something similar to go with any scenarios that might require such. Given the level of preparedness for previous A-P tournaments I doubt that there's anything to be concerned about in this regard.)

As a purely personal preference, speaking only for myself, I prefer not to be told in advance what the scenarios will be; I think an important part of "tournament skill" is being able to cope with whatever comes your way (recognising that some rules or situations require serious advance preparation, making scenarios that need this not very suitable for tournament play).

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would not characterise that as a true statement, unless by "all" you mean "some".

The general practice in most Australian tournaments is to not tell the participants what the scenarios are until they turn up on the day. I don't know enough about the specifics for tournaments in other regions to make general comments. (Obviously for "open gaming" tournaments like ASLOK the participants themselves determine what the scenarios will be.)

IIRC previous Asia-Pac tournaments have made the scenarios available to participants if they don't have them already. (That can make things a bit tricky if they're third-party scenarios that use their own maps or overlays, or indeed use their own particular rules for unique terrain types or whatever. For Australian tournaments, the TD will advise the participants in advance about "rules you should brush up on" and similar "unusual" prerequisites. I guess the Asia-Pac TD needs to prepare a specific "rules document" or something similar to go with any scenarios that might require such. Given the level of preparedness for previous A-P tournaments I doubt that there's anything to be concerned about in this regard.)

As a purely personal preference, speaking only for myself, I prefer not to be told in advance what the scenarios will be; I think an important part of "tournament skill" is being able to cope with whatever comes your way (recognising that some rules or situations require serious advance preparation, making scenarios that need this not very suitable for tournament play).
Thanks sir.

I stand corrected: we will make sure registrants have access to the scenarios beforehand.

The sooner you register, the sooner that happens.