So what scenarios have you played Recently?

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the tipps! As me and my friends are quite green players I am sure me made some rule mistakes and played far from optimally. To deny germans concealment during setup I have to forfeit the concealment of my units as well, right? We will play it again and see how it goes.
No you just have to show it's a real unit. The building is the real key. You have to understand the fortified building rules.

MettIgel

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
No you just have to show it's a real unit. The building is the real key. You have to understand the fortified building rules.
Okay, then we played the concealment rules wrong... The germans started all concealed. I think we played the fortified building rules right, but i will check. We still have a long way to go :)

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... No you just have to show it's a real unit. ...
Actually, even a Dummy stack will deny concealment gain (A12.1 '... unbroken enemy ground unit (which includes Dummies) ... for denial of “?” gain ... ')

Enjoy, Joshua

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
To deny germans concealment during setup I have to forfeit the concealment of my units as well, right?
No. The Soviets have OB-given "?" counters. If they use those, they can set up concealed. German units wanting to gain concealment (at set up or during the game) can not have a LOS to any unbroken Soviet unit. The Soviet unit does not need to be revealed, even momentarily, to prevent concealment gain, and a dummy will prevent concealment gain. The other option would be to set up a real unit unconcealed. That would also prevent Germans in LOS from gaining concealment during set up, but in turn that Soviet unit could not gain it either. Usually you wouldn't choose this second option unless there are a really limited number of "?" counters and you had other priorities.

JR

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You do not have to show a real (or any) unit. LOS to any unbroken unit (including a dummy) is sufficient to prevent concealment gain.

JR
JR's quote above is for set up purposes and end of turn "?" gain.

If a concealed ENEMY Player is Non Assault moving in LOS of a Good Order concealed FRIENDLY unit then you must show a real unit to deny the ENEMY player his "?".

I played Commando Schenke, as the Russians once, a bit back with a very experienced player. I don't think that I passed a MC during the game. The game was over fairly quickly. I asked what i could do to play better and his only reply, "You have to start by passing a MC" :):).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
JR's quote above is for set up purposes and end of turn "?" gain.

If a concealed ENEMY Player is Non Assault moving in LOS of a Good Order concealed FRIENDLY unit then you must show a real unit to deny the ENEMY player his "?".
JR's quote above is for *any* concealment *gain*. Your example is a concealment *loss*.

JR

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Planned for two scenarios in case the first was a blow out. It was. I had the defending Italians in J20 The Guns of Naro. I set everything as close as I could to the entering turn 1 Americans. My luck was neither great nor poor, but before the end of the Italian turn 1 PFPh I had knocked out every US unit except for a shocked or immobilized (I can't remember which it was) Stuart. The ATR had yet to fire and I was going to maneuver the squad manning it for a PB rear shot. Already up 29 points (only needing 32 for the win) and with automatic air support on the way, we ended it. The game was pretty much a dud. Having played a few Italian scenarios lately, I knew once the Americans bring their guns to bear, the Italians are in a world of hurt. I went with the up front defense to prevent this, but also, I just wanted to see if I could actually wipe out the turn 1 Americans. Turns out it can be done.

I think giving up early in Naro is a mistake, even with that many CVP lost. It's usually not quite that bad, but the first turn or two are very rough on the Americans. In playtesting it was almost always like that, with the latter stages of the game leaving the Italians only a few points from a victory, but having a very difficult time scoring any.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I got in two scenarios today FtF at his place in Sweden. In DTF-05 AK'44, as the Germans in the last turn, I needed to win one of three CC attacks to deny Mangus having 40 VP. Two 2-1 and one 1-1 and I didn't win any of them. Our second scenario was RPT76 Duropa Plantation. My Japanese defenders were successful in preventing 7 VP of Australian infantry from exiting the map. I was lucky in two particular CC attacks that help make that happen.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JR's quote above is for *any* concealment *gain*. Your example is a concealment *loss*.

JR
I knew that I was not going to be correct. I tried :).

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think giving up early in Naro is a mistake, even with that many CVP lost. It's usually not quite that bad, but the first turn or two are very rough on the Americans. In playtesting it was almost always like that, with the latter stages of the game leaving the Italians only a few points from a victory, but having a very difficult time scoring any.
I read a comment like that in one of the Journals, but in this case, I think moving on was justified. I was only three points away from victory and all I had was one malfunctioned MMG. Like I said, I was about to move up the ATR for a PB rear shot in the AFPh (I guess the Stuart must have been shocked not immobilized or else I doubt I'd have thought about trying that). No sure thing, but decent. All the ART pieces had their HEAT rounds as well and two were back far enough that they should have survived the turn 2 US reinforcements and at least gotten off one shot each at the side of the Stuart the next turn. With two planes soon to come in and buzz around for two turns, I'd have hung it up as well. If some more of the weapons had malfunctioned, I suppose we could have stuck it out just to see what would happen. Since that wasn't the case, we felt the better option was to move on to a new scenario and get a fresh start. If this were the last turn or two, that would be a different story.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
An EPIC game of BFP17 Seize that Crossroad!!! The American had to bust out of Bocage hell into open country only to face down two dug in Panthers. This went all the way down to the very last CC.

(Had there been a film trailer, it would have showed the part where the armor leader in his M10 unbogging off a bocage and arriving late to the fight. He clambered over a hill into full view of the dug in Panthers on Lvl 2. Even though they would have blown him sky high at any moment, he stopped, delayed, pumped off an APCR round that bounced off and then an AP round that connected with a big CH fireball!!)

Truth is though, I was a round behind schedule and wouldn't have come even close had it not been a ton of help from my opponent - @sunoftzu

GREAT MOVIE!! (er.. game)

Now .. BFP18 Necklace of Pearls

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Return to the Rock BFP CtR-4 Corregidor '45, the initial parachute landing on the island. The revised jump rules are easy to use- just some modification from the normal jump rules. I dropped the paratroopers as close to the Topside Barracks as possible. With the heavy winds TC, there were HSs everywhere. As normal the dropping side takes heavy losses initially. The IJA are few, but they hold all the key terrain. IJA in the Officer's Quarters tore up paratroopers coming at them from the Parade Ground, but, with all the scatter, I was able to come at them from both flanks as well. Touch and go, but with a win in CC, on the last half turn, US victory. Nice scenario, beautiful map.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Magnus Rimvall and I played DTF-06 MAGNIFICENT BEASTS OF PREY yesterday. I won with the defending Germans in a game that was not decided until the end. Today we played AP90 SMASHING THE HOOK. I lost with the British because I did not use VBM locking right from the get-go to enable my infantry to move fast along the road.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

Mike205

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently played one from Journal 9 and two Beyond the Beachhead 2 scenarios- I really love this pack so far!

BtB 11 Bosq Barbecque- German win, the Brits took the cover on their right, overran the hillock, but then got bogged down on the edge of town. This one seems like a tough one for them any way to play it- risk running out of time by utilizing the best covered route or risk losing all their armor crossing the open ground. Not quite as fun as Firestorm at St. Manvieu but the historical accuracy regarding terrain and OBs was much appreciated. I especially loved the accuracy of 12th SS SPW batteries being forced into an AT role.

BtB 10 Unplanned Attack- What a nail biter! Yanks had a helluva time just crossing the northern stretch of road. Came down to CC in the final VC location. U.S. won it. Pretty neat to play on a small overlay too.

J132 Jungle Infiltration - I pushed the IJA way too hard and by the end of turn two had taken significant casualties, including the loss of both leaders. Things started off well, and I was able to break the Marine line near the first patch of kunai with some great initial rolls. But my plan to blitz my way through to the far patch quickly fell apart when units started straying in dense jungle or were decimated by point blank fire. The infiltrator die rolls didn't help either and I only wound up with one mmc, lmg, and leader who were already pretty far from the fight before they strayed. By turn four it was pretty much over and all Chesty had to do was stand back and watch while his squad assembled a machine gun. All of that said, I'd play it again.

I'm looking forward to playing LFT 251 The Last Drive this weekend.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My second scenario of a mini at Copenhagen was WO31 MA DEUCE DELIVERS. I had the German attackers against Ran Shiloah, who had the balance with the Americans. This scenario can have the famous dance'o death between 4 M10 TD and 3 King Tigers. Ran saw an LOS that I missed to set this up in our playing. I lost one Tiger. In revenge, I later eliminated three of the M10. That did not make me win the scenario, however.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
In my first round of the ASO main tournament, I played against Mikael Strand of Sweden. I bid German and he bid Russian in FrF93 Wiener Walzer.
Conservative Russian play let the Germans make big initial progress, but the farther bridge was in doubt until the last turn, when I was able to have four squads in the VC hex. The Russian last turn did not break any of them.

Last edited:

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played ASL Scenario 23 Under the Noel Trees today, as the American. First TH roll was boxcars, and that was pretty much all she wrote. I'll leave you all with this cheerful image of my VASL DRs. I am beginning to think that this game does not like me at all.

Alan