AFV case J and Motion Status

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
A question:
An AFV begins its MPh stopped. During its MPh it delays all its MPs but one, then it starts and finishes its MPh, so I place a Motion counter on it to mark its Motion status.
If ordnance were to fire on it during the ensuing DFPh, would case J apply? Or is it necessary that the AFV begin the player turn in motion status in order to apply case J?
I would say the former.
Thank you very much.

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
A question:
An AFV begins its MPh stopped. During its MPh it delays all its MPs but one, then it starts and finishes its MPh, so I place a Motion counter on it to mark its Motion status.
If ordnance were to fire on it during the ensuing DFPh, would case J apply? Or is it necessary that the AFV begin the player turn in motion status in order to apply case J?
I would say the former.
Thank you very much.
Rule C6.1 states Case J applies if the vehicle, "...is/was in Motion status during that Player Turn...". Case J would apply.

Ed

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
My understanding is that on the start-up point expended in MPh, Case J wouldn't apply to a defender's shot because the vehicle hadn't entered a new hex, but Case J would apply in the subsequent DFPh.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
My understanding is that on the start-up point expended in MPh, Case J wouldn't apply to a defender's shot because the vehicle hadn't entered a new hex, but Case J would apply in the subsequent DFPh.
This is correct. A vehicle is not In Motion during its MPh. It places the Motion counter at the end of its MPh. If it were fired on during the MPh after the expenditure of the start MP it would not be a Case J Moving Target.

JR

milhaud

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Then, how may I take the first sentence of case J ....C6.1 when says "CASE J; MOVING/MOTION VEHICULAR TARGET: Ordnance firing at a Dashing target (A4.63), or at a vehicle which has entered a new hex or used VBM (D2.3) "...if the vehicle has not entered in a new location (hex) in this PLAYER TURN...

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Then, how may I take the first sentence of case J ....C6.1 when says "CASE J; MOVING/MOTION VEHICULAR TARGET: Ordnance firing at a Dashing target (A4.63), or at a vehicle which has entered a new hex or used VBM (D2.3) "...if the vehicle has not entered in a new location (hex) in this PLAYER TURN...
You cut that sentence short:
6.1 CASE J; MOVING/MOTION VEHICULAR TARGET: Ordnance firing at a Dashing target (A4.63), or at a vehicle which has entered a new hex or used VBM (D2.3) during that Player Turn, or is/was in Motion status during that Player Turn, must add the +2 DRM of Case J to its To Hit DR.

In the DFPh the vehicle is "in Motion" - so Case J applies.