Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My brother and I will be playing RO CG I next after we finish the Hatten CG and looking at the triangle hex buildings, trying to get how they work.

Taking for example the Hall 2 Rolling Shop. Hexes V 13 and W14 are essentially Level 2 buildings however their base level can also directly access the factory hexes in V14 and W15 (with the help of breaches in some cases due to the interior walls). That is simple enough, however when rooftops are in play, you now have a roof top location at 2-1/2 in V13 and W14, in the rest of the factory the roof is located at 1-1/2 since their is no delineation of this being a level 2-1/2 factory.

So the questions become:

a) Because of the roofless section does that mean hexes V14 and V15 are inaccessible/unusable since the only staircase to the level 1-1/2 roof is located in hex W18?

b) I would assume that a unit in level 2 at V13 and W14 can see over the rest of the factory and into W20-W21 and W22 and many other areas to the south-east and south-west?

Hopefully, I've got it correct.

Den589

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In follow up to my post above, I'm playing as the Russian and anybody who has started/played RO CG I. Any suggestions for purchases with the 10 CPP? Little intimidated by the fact that the German has the potential to be rolling 80-90 squads vs my measly 50-60 squads (some in reserve) on that first double scenario day.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The Germans get a rocket OBA mission (why they call it a module is confusing)
"3. The Germans receive one module of 200+mm Rocket OBA (C1.9) with one Pre-Registered hex (C1.73)."

It looks like a pretty "standard" OBA SSR to me - perhaps I am missing something?

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
a) Because of the roofless section does that mean hexes V14 and V15 are inaccessible/unusable since the only staircase to the level 1-1/2 roof is located in hex W18?
No - you can enter the rooftop Location in V14 and W15 from upstairs in V13 and W14 - see last sentence of rule B23.8.

b) I would assume that a unit in level 2 at V13 and W14 can see over the rest of the factory and into W20-W21 and W22 and many other areas to the south-east and south-west?
Yes, though the LOS from Level 2 in V13 to W20 is blocked, since the LOS goes through W18 - at range 5 creating a second Blind Hex.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Out of curiosity (and for possible future scenarios) - what is confusing with this SSR?
"3. The Germans receive one module of 200+mm Rocket OBA (C1.9) with one Pre-Registered hex (C1.73)."

It looks like a pretty "standard" OBA SSR to me - perhap I am missing something????
Perhaps Scott thought they only get one mission - instead of one module?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Correct, when I think of a module, I am thinking the rocket oba is treated like a normal OBA module with the possibility of multiple uses.

Perhaps Scott thought they only get one mission - instead of one module?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would recommend getting two militia companies, two OBA mods and MOL. The MOL allows you to burn stuff down possibly as well as keeps the German armor from rolling up on you to cause trouble. As for russkie set up, maybe a couple of squads upfront but everybody else behind the rows of warehouses in the factories mainly. Trying to fight upfront with what little you have is just a waste. So ya, your going to give up alot of ground initially, but your good units will survive the first day and then you can try to counter attack to regain lost ground down the road,

In follow up to my post above, I'm playing as the Russian and anybody who has started/played RO CG I. Any suggestions for purchases with the 10 CPP? Little intimidated by the fact that the German has the potential to be rolling 80-90 squads vs my measly 50-60 squads (some in reserve) on that first double scenario day.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Can't wait to get this module. It will be like RB all over again but new.....(hopefully).

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
One thing I am a bit upset about is that there is no massive CG like RBCGIII. The ROCGI is only 11 scenarios long I believe. While the longest CG in RO is only 16 dates....(is that right?) Nothing like the 30 date CG of RB.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Correct, when I think of a module, I am thinking the rocket oba is treated like a normal OBA module with the possibility of multiple uses.
OK. But this SSR is pretty much the "standard" OBA module SSR - even for Rocket OBA - at least on official scenarios.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you call it a mission, or something else, you'd have the headache of clarifying which OBA module rules (i.e. most of the rules) apply to a "mission."

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No - you can enter the rooftop Location in V14 and W15 from upstairs in V13 and W14 - see last sentence of rule B23.8.

Yes, though the LOS from Level 2 in V13 to W20 is blocked, since the LOS goes through W18 - at range 5 creating a second Blind Hex.
What Klas said.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would recommend getting two militia companies, two OBA mods and MOL. The MOL allows you to burn stuff down possibly as well as keeps the German armor from rolling up on you to cause trouble. As for russkie set up, maybe a couple of squads upfront but everybody else behind the rows of warehouses in the factories mainly. Trying to fight upfront with what little you have is just a waste. So ya, your going to give up alot of ground initially, but your good units will survive the first day and then you can try to counter attack to regain lost ground down the road,
Things don't burn down the way they did in RB, there will be plenty of stuff blocking LOS.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
One thing I am a bit upset about is that there is no massive CG like RBCGIII. The ROCGI is only 11 scenarios long I believe. While the longest CG in RO is only 16 dates....(is that right?) Nothing like the 30 date CG of RB.
I'd rather drop and anvil on my foot than play a 30 date CG. :p OK that was hyperbole. But still, I am OK with no mammoth (date wise) CG game. From what I hear (my RO has been "packing" for a week so I do not have it yet) the four mapper is impressive. But would require a complete re-do of the gaming room to fit the 8' (or whatever it is) map.

Peace

Roger

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I'd rather drop and anvil on my foot than play a 30 date CG. :p OK that was hyperbole. But still, I am OK with no mammoth (date wise) CG game. From what I hear (my RO has been "packing" for a week so I do not have it yet) the four mapper is impressive. But would require a complete re-do of the gaming room to fit the 8' (or whatever it is) map.

Peace

Roger
ASSAULT MOVE! -- jim (best said with authority)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am confused. Per C1.9, "Rocket OBA never receives more than one Fire Mission per battery." All standard ASL rocket batteries get one Fire Mission only. You would need an SSR to *allow* multiple uses of Rocket OBA. Also the term "module" is not used in the ASLRB that I can see. The term used is an "OBA battery." I think "module" is a CG term used for purchasing OBA batteries.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Also the term "module" is not used in the ASLRB that I can see. The term used is an "OBA battery."
It is mentioned as being the same in rule C1.1:
"...Each radio in the OB represents one predesignated available OBA battery (aka module). ..."

...and in rule C1.63 as well - I think the "OBA module" in scenario SSR has been used for a long time.