Status of Peleliu HASL

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh wow, the first three sentences of your post have had me chuckling for hours... good one!
Peleliu will have a historical map of the Umurbrogol pocket, yes?
I am a YUGE fan of the cave rules! I am really stoked for this.
Thank you, BFP, for everything you do for us!!!
In the map photo a couple posts above, part of the Umerbroguls is covered by an overlay in the upper left corner. Yes, the pocket is there. From just north of the Three Knob hills to the area south of the airfield, west shore to eastern shore is what the HASL map covers.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dead on. Thanks mate :) (Were there monkey's on Peleliu?)
It would be politically incorrect for me to answer that, given the derogatory terminology used in the 1940's.
Birds, snakes, BUGS, but no screeching tree swingers. If I remember correctly, I believe Eugene Sledge made mention in his book about seeing a pair of beautiful large birds in a tree while his unit was entrenched near the mangrove swamp on the eastern shore, and how he was amazed these birds had survived all the bombs and shells and bullets.

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over the past two and a half years, in between working on more pressing projects, I have been putting together an article on Caves. The rough draft is worked up and is in the hands of some unknowns who are diligently proofing it, finding all my typos, verifying rules references, correcting my grammatical errors. It will most likely get expanded further in details, but as of now it is about twenty five pages long with (IIRC) about twenty graphic examples. How to attack a cave by climbing down from above, by approaching the cave entrance hex with a FT, placing/throwing/setting a DC against a cave, using ordnance, indirect fire, OBA and NOBA, aircraft, flinging monkey poo.....okay, maybe not monkey poo, but it will try to cover everything you ever wanted to know about caves in ASL but were afraid to ask. I'm pushing to include the article in the mag that will come with Peleliu. The mag will also include a battle history, cover the terrain types on the HASL map, and maybe some explanation of design concepts and other goodies. Is that sorta what you were looking for Jackson?
Actually, I think monkey poo should be an option. Treat it like a WP. Might scare them out.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Smart man. You'll definitely need that skill for the fighting in the Umbrigols.
Gonna hafta give ol" Rick a brief lesson on the spellings in the Peleliu module prior to his delving into it. Umurbroguls....or as I like to call them, the "brogs".

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It would be politically incorrect for me to answer that, given the derogatory terminology used in the 1940's.
Birds, snakes, BUGS, but no screeching tree swingers. If I remember correctly, I believe Eugene Sledge made mention in his book about seeing a pair of beautiful large birds in a tree while his unit was entrenched near the mangrove swamp on the eastern shore, and how he was amazed these birds had survived all the bombs and shells and bullets.
Urgh.. right .. doh!

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gonna hafta give ol" Rick a brief lesson on the spellings in the Peleliu module prior to his delving into it. Umurbroguls....or as I like to call them, the "brogs".
Be like my 4th grade teacher and make me write Umurbrogul 10 times:
Umurbrogul
Umurbrogul
Umurbrogul
Um....

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the map photo a couple posts above, part of the Umerbroguls is covered by an overlay in the upper left corner. Yes, the pocket is there. From just north of the Three Knob hills to the area south of the airfield, west shore to eastern shore is what the HASL map covers.
I think I've posted this before, but here's the full playtest map.

Attachments

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
very nice, looks very large, I'm gonna need a bigger table
Maybe you could alterately attempt to put the maps in the tumble dryer to make them smaller. Ask your kids to take care of that, they'll handle it. At least mine did with a sweater of mine. It worked fine - now it almost fits them...

von Marwitz

P.S.
I am just remembering - in the US microwaves are labelled not to put live animals into it and such things. So probably the same is true for tumble dryers and ASL maps, and as a consequence my advice probably not work for you. You gotta excuse - I live in dangerous Europe where there are no such precautions.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
very nice, looks very large, I'm gonna need a bigger table
Late response I know.....actually, I have my HASL map set up on a sheet of thin board on a standard 6 foot long office folding table I got from Staples. Fits perfectly. Printed map is 70 inches by 36 inches in size.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Late response I know.....actually, I have my HASL map set up on a sheet of thin board on a standard 6 foot long office folding table I got from Staples. Fits perfectly. Printed map is 70 inches by 36 inches in size.
This is the #1 module I am most looking forward to seeing. I started to play caves just for this module.

2nd is Kohima (play test)
3rd is Manila
4th is Sugar Loaf Hill (play test)

I have more than enough Eastern Front/ Western Front CG's & scenarios to last my lifetime. I am really looking forward to some Pacific theater stuff.

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When is this going to be available?
It'll be a while yet (think at least 12 months or more out). There is still a lot of work to be done on it. I'm currently working on the production map for it, and of course scenario work continues on it. Given that there are 31 scenarios and 3 CGs associated with it, there is a lot of work to do.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
So is it pel-e-lu or pe-lu-lu?