Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So that that 2x467 & LMG FG...you fire that LMG? Let me answer that for you...no you don’t...so with the ift you don’t always fire every thing...with the IIFT you always fire everything...just like in real combat, where you don’t leave out the MG cause it doesn’t reach the next column...column? What’s that? Just shoot the $hit out of them!
No, the answer is "it depends". If the tactical situation calls for it, I fire it. If it doesn't, I don't.

Now, playing on the junior table (AKA the iift), I blast away every time. Of course, that means I miss opportunities to split my fire and perhaps DM some other unit because I don't have to stop and consider it. Now, perhaps that's just me. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I use the IIFT with CTC.

At the same time, I also don't have problems with worn off printing on precision dice offsetting the balance of a scenario.

von Marwitz

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No, the answer is "it depends". If the tactical situation calls for it, I fire it. If it doesn't, I don't.

Now, playing on the junior table (AKA the iift), I blast away every time. Of course, that means I miss opportunities to split my fire and perhaps DM some other unit because I don't have to stop and consider it. Now, perhaps that's just me. -- jim
This is just bollox.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use the IIFT with CTC.

At the same time, I also don't have problems with worn off printing on precision dice offsetting the balance of a scenario.

von Marwitz
Clearly you don't subscribe to my theory of re-balancing my dice every 1,000 rolls.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
This is just bollox.
You can call it bollocks all you want. It is my own personal experience with the table. It changes the way I play and think about the game. That's why I stopped using it. If your experience is different, bully for you. But that is also an opinion too.

Anecdotally, I have played a lot of iift regulars. I find they tend to miss the same chances I did when I played. IMO, this is part of the "every shot has it's own effective column" thinking that the iift endears. Of course, this is only my opinion, based on personal usage and limited observations. I get it, your opinions differs, that doesn't make mine bollocks. ;) -- jim

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
back on topic, it appears Blazes no longer automatically cause rubble when extinguished. they can cause gutted buildings instead

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes and kindling is NA. So if trying to get around the kindling NA bit by buying MOL capability does not guarantee that building will become rubble if you light it on fire.

back on topic, it appears Blazes no longer automatically cause rubble when extinguished. they can cause gutted buildings instead

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Haven't got a copy yet but that would be a great addition. Previously we have played RB with such a house rule prior to VotG or FB [EXC: we made the ability to rubble a gutted non-factory structure a bit easier, same as a wooden building for rubble purposes] and thought it would have been a great addition.

Joelist

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Haven't played them yet but the RB ones are updated and we have a bonus (at least one) the HASL version of The Commissar's House is included and updated.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How do you mark the gutted buildings? Is there a new counter?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So you use the same counter as for the gutted factories. Figures.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "Stone Age Caves" and enjoyed it. May not have great replay value, but certainly has the feel of an urban city fight.

Has the new "triangle" hexes with multi-level building hexes in a gutted factory.

The German must understand the new building hexes in their defense.

Rich

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played "Stone Age Caves" and enjoyed it. May not have great replay value, but certainly has the feel of an urban city fight.

Has the new "triangle" hexes with multi-level building hexes in a gutted factory.

The German must understand the new building hexes in their defense.

Rich
I was Rich's opponent. An up front fall - back defense did not work. I'd be curious as to what defense succeeds for the Germans.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was Rich's opponent. An up front fall - back defense did not work. I'd be curious as to what defense succeeds for the Germans.
I stoned my Russian OPFOR with this defense. You bore site the crossing trench with HMG, while the other 2 MMG (one in the triangle) bore site other options...the center 2 buildings between the 2 objective factories are the key buildings in the German defense and I fortified these for if he gets in the Russians have to wash around these and their base of fire use is lethal. (you can opt for a tunnel back to Alamo in the triangle too...

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
before I fractured my knee, Bobby Miller and I played Second Step from RO. The scenario was lots of fun, with the Russian player trying to figure out which factories to man with what units he had. The Germans get a rocket OBA mission (why they call it a module is confusing) a Stug and lots of infantry to noodle the russkies out of their positions. The game went down to the last CC DR with Bobby;s Gaermans rolloing low and me rolling high. Best advise I can give is keep the German attack spread out and use the OBA as a threat, once the Stukas enter, the Russians will have a tough time maneuvering around, but use sewers to over come that problem. All in all a very enjoyable scenario.

scott