Your top 5 favorite NFL players of all time

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I don't know if these are really my top five or not, but I like all these players (at least on the field).

Junior Seau
Lynn Swann
Mean Joe Greene
Too Tall Jones
Jack Lambert

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
NHL
Bobby Orr
Jaromir Jagr
Chris Chelios
Sidney Crosby
Mario Lemieux

MLB
Rollie Fingers
Johnny Bench
Hank Aaron
Pete Rose
Mark McGwire

NFL
Dick Butkus
Larry Csonka
Johnny Unitas
Lynn Swann
Jim Brown

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Junior Seau
Took my children to Disney when they were younger. Seau was going to the ESPN zone from some interview or something. He pushed by my then 2 year old daughter, knocked her down and kept on moving as if nothing had happened. His entourage saved me from an ass whooping as I was chasing him down for being an asshat. Fuck that jerk. -- jim

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Took my children to Disney when they were younger. Seau was going to the ESPN zone from some interview or something. He pushed by my then 2 year old daughter, knocked her down and kept on moving as if nothing had happened. His entourage saved me from an ass whooping as I was chasing him down for being an asshat. Fuck that jerk. -- jim
Sadly, I think that's representative of the behavior of a lot of professional athletes. In Seau's case, I think it's known that years of cumulative damage left him with CTE. How this condition affected his behavior is a matter of some debate, but he eventually committed suicide, saying in a note he regretted the person he'd become.

I've met Charles Barkley twice, once on the street and I didn't even know who he was at the time. He was very nice and struck up a conversation with my wife while we were walking. Seemed like a nice guy.

I was a fan of Greg Lloyd during his career with the Steelers, and his playing style reminded me a lot of Jack Lambert -- aggressive, relentless, and a team leader. But off the field, that aggressive nature has apparently been a serious problem for him and it would be hard for me to support him.

Daniel Cormier was at an event some years back, before most people knew who he was, and we spent quite a while talking. He was a gentlemen and a professional and just seemed like a nice person. Incidentally, I've met Dana White twice and his personality is exactly like you see him on TV, so no surprises there.

Not a sports personality, but years ago I had a run-in with Tom Brokaw which both surprised and irritated the hell out of me. He's obviously a guy who's used to being in charge and getting his way, and he wore out his welcome with me in about five seconds. I don't know if he's always like that or not, but he made a pretty poor impression.

I have had the pleasure of briefly chatting with Sir Anthony Hopkins, and he is a rare pleasure and a joy. Brilliant man who really loves life and his enthusiasm is infectious.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I once went to a guitar seminar that had Al Di Meola, I was young and excited to seem him. He took being a jerk and a jack ass to a whole new level! Dumped all his records and scratched him off my list...

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Daniel Cormier was at an event some years back, before most people knew who he was, and we spent quite a while talking. He was a gentlemen and a professional and just seemed like a nice person. Incidentally, I've met Dana White twice and his personality is exactly like you see him on TV, so no surprises there.
Never met either. Daniel Cormier is excellent at calling a match. Tell you what to watch for before it happens. Only ever heard that Dana White was not the coolest person to meet.

I've seen a couple of professional athletes up close but the crowds surrounding them were too big to bother getting closer.

My wife and I ran into Ed Rendell in NY. He just walking down the street. We talked for just a bit and he was very relaxed and did not try and rush away. It helped that my wife loved him ever since he was the mayor of Philadelphia and told him so.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Joe montanna, Ronnie Lott, Jerry rice, Lawrence Taylor and Carl banks.