New forum themes now available

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
With the v2.1 of the forum software now installed, we are testing a new theme. It may change radically over the next week or so.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
There used to be the possibility to select certain themes (including the one one was used to).

Does anyone have an idea if this is now possible and where this can be set?

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Well now my icon is very cool with a rectangle that looks like a nice counter with its corners properly trimmed! Love it. Don't care for the Aqua Teal it's a bit hard to read, need darker color fonts for me. Our a custom way we can change our own themes to suit our tastes if that is possible.

Like the bigger fonts though.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't care for the Aqua Teal it's a bit hard to read, need darker color fonts for me. Our a custom way we can change our own themes to suit our tastes if that is possible.

Like the bigger fonts though.
Agree 100%

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
With the v2.1 of the forum software now installed, we are testing a new theme. It may change radically over the next week or so.
When the testing/etc is done, are you anticipating that there will be options we can choose between or are you guys just trying to find "the best" theme and that's what we'll use? Just wondering.

FWIW, I liked the circle avatars but this teal isn't that hot.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
In the 20 years I've been running forums, I have never once installed a new theme and got positive feedback. Never. People don't like change on discussion forums; it's just the nature of the beast.

Even I can't usually judge whether a theme really works or not until I've used it for a week or so. When testing, I'll usually have 3-5 themes available to me so that I can switch back and forth between them for several weeks. And almost always, the ones I initially loved I end up hating and the ones I hated I warm up to. A lot of it just depends on how different they are than what I'm used to, and the same is probably true for most people.

Use this one for a few days and then see what you think. I can almost guarantee you your initial impression is going to be negative because all of us are hardwired to prefer what we know.

Before long, I'll add another one or two so that people can compare and contrast.

I do like this larger font, though. I can say that.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
My (current, we'll see how it evolves over time) opinion is that the current theme makes it very difficult to see which threads have new messages - the pale blue text over white is extra difficult to distinguish the bold from the non-bold. I just spent 10 minutes trying to find how to change the theme in my preferences, before coming here and learning that I couldn't do it.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the 20 years I've been running forums, I have never once installed a new theme and got positive feedback. Never.
Of all the Forums I've ever seen or used since the Internet became a thing, the Gamesquad Forum is by far the most tweaked/screwed-around-with/unnecessarily updated.

So is it you or is it everybody else?

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Getting used to a new forum theme and format is not the same as getting to like a new theme.

All that pastel blue on white just blends.

Could do without the cluttering little "word bubbles" too. Just more blending blue. I guess red denotes new / unread and blue not?

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Teal I like when it is Blue-winged, but not so much trying to read it on-screen against a white or gray background....

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I used the greenish "Desert" scheme which I found restful. I definitely don't like the larger font. Between less information on a single screen and the bright colours my impression is of being smashed in the face by running laptop or a half finished child's colouring book. Sorry my reaction is not simply that I dislike it, just "Aghhh, my Eyes! Gross!"

EDIT: By running the page at 90% size in Firefox, it's a bit more palatable.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
In the 20 years I've been running forums, I have never once installed a new theme and got positive feedback. Never. People don't like change on discussion forums; it's just the nature of the beast.
Your observation is probably correct.
But if it seems to be generally true, that people do not like new themes, I wonder why they keep being changed anyway?

Before long, I'll add another one or two so that people can compare and contrast.
That is good. If I may utter a wish, then think of those in the "keep it as it has been"-camp.

I do like this larger font, though. I can say that.
I am neutral on that, tending towards the former smaller font being preferred.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Of all the Forums I've ever seen or used since the Internet became a thing, the Gamesquad Forum is by far the most tweaked/screwed-around-with/unnecessarily updated.

So is it you or is it everybody else?
The number of forums I use or know is overseeable, but in that range Gamesquad is changed most often. At least the part that can actually be seen by the users. Might be that other forums see updates with equal frequency, but this seems usually not to impact on themes, colors, the form of avatars and the like.

von Marwitz

Reactions: ecz

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How do I change the Gamesquad background colors, mine are bright teal.

I did this in a previous version, but not able to do his now.

Thanks,
Rich