Los AA13 to BB9 on Hatten map over Hillock Hatten CG

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOS EXISTS?

Got answer from Perry:

LOS exists.
A follow on question: if the orchard were grain, would there be a +1 hindrance?

And if the LOS passed through (over?) two grain hexes would there be a +2 hindrance?

Reason I ask is that the half level examples in Chapter F (rubble, wall, hedge) are Obstacles and so the rules don't mention hindrances.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
A follow on question: if the orchard were grain, would there be a +1 hindrance?
Yes.

And if the LOS passed through (over?) two grain hexes would there be a +2 hindrance?
If the LOS goes over then there is no Hindrance.

Reason I ask is that the half level examples in Chapter F (rubble, wall, hedge) are Obstacles and so the rules don't mention hindrances.
See F6.52.

6.52 AFV/WRECK TEM & HINDRANCES: An AFV/wreck on a hillock can provide a +1 TEM in the normal manner. A “half-level” Hindrance (as defined in 4.51), whether on a hillock or not, can affect LOS/LOF to/from/across a hillock hex only if both the firer’s and target’s elevations are within a half-level of, and the elevation of at least one of those units is ≤ that of, the Hindrance’s Base Level [EXC: a “half-level” Hindrance in a deir; 4.51]. See the entries for “Squads E and F”, “Squad H”, “Squad K” and “Squads DD and EE” in the 6.6 EX.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And furthermore, if the US unit were ON the EMRR (or Hillock) and the Orchard were in season, would LOS be blocked? After all In Season orchard are not an obstacle to same level LOS and in this case the US unit would be at 1/2 a Level.

I'm looking to play Time of Humiliations, which has an EMRR with a bunch of grain, brush, orchards...the effects of which are not even contemplated in Chapter F.

Cpl Uhl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes.

If the LOS goes over then there is no Hindrance.

See F6.52.

6.52 AFV/WRECK TEM & HINDRANCES: An AFV/wreck on a hillock can provide a +1 TEM in the normal manner. A “half-level” Hindrance (as defined in 4.51), whether on a hillock or not, can affect LOS/LOF to/from/across a hillock hex only if both the firer’s and target’s elevations are within a half-level of, and the elevation of at least one of those units is ≤ that of, the Hindrance’s Base Level [EXC: a “half-level” Hindrance in a deir; 4.51]. See the entries for “Squads E and F”, “Squad H”, “Squad K” and “Squads DD and EE” in the 6.6 EX.
Ah! Thanks Klas. That's what I need to look at.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
And furthermore, if the US unit were ON the EMRR (or Hillock) and the Orchard were in season, would LOS be blocked? After all In Season orchard are not an obstacle to same level LOS and in this case the US unit would be at 1/2 a Level.

I'm looking to play Time of Humiliations, which has an EMRR with a bunch of grain, brush, orchards...the effects of which are not even contemplated in Chapter F.
If the orchard were in season then LOS is blocked.

q&a said:
B14.2, F6., & P2. Can a unit at a 1/2 Level (on a Hillock) see through an In Season Orchard to a unit (assuming no Continuous Slope) at ground(0) level? And can a unit at 3/4 level (Slope) see through an In Season Orchard to a unit (assuming no Continuous Slope) at ground (0)?
A. No to both. See also Q5.6. {4}
JR