Winter Offensive 2019 under way

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of the various maps in action. RO, Konigsberg and Normandy.
Who is producing Konigsberg and Normandy?
I can't recall a road that straight for that long when I was driving around Normandy back in '97. That first section looks over a mile in length before a slight curve is made. Bocage hexsides will stop any LOS, but it just looks funny to me. Any idea where in Normandy they are focused on?

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I can't recall a road that straight for that long when I was driving around Normandy back in '97. That first section looks over a mile in length before a slight curve is made. Bocage hexsides will stop any LOS, but it just looks funny to me. Any idea where in Normandy they are focused on?
Konigsberg is by Lone Canuck. Normandy by MMP. It is set near St. Mere Eglise.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
From what I have heard there are special rules to prevent bocage hexsides from blocking LOS down that road.

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Konigsberg is by Lone Canuck. Normandy by MMP. It is set near St. Mere Eglise.
I must have driven down that road then. It was 20 years ago, so maybe my memory is not that good.

I will also say I need to finalize on my work bench size, and it looks like it will need to be 8ft long in order to accommodate RO (with all boards) and Normandy.

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looks long and straight to me. (thats what she said)
1548020587139.png

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My past experience with MMP maps and reality is VERY good, so I believe it. When in Belgium during the same trip I was astonished how little had changed from the KGP maps until then. I actually walked from La Gleize back to Trois Pont instead of waiting for a bus and I felt I was walking across the mapsheet as I left La Gleize. If you look at the photo for CG III in the KGP rules, the museum I went to is in the right building of the 2 most bottom buildings in the middle of the photo. TIger II tank is sitting on the corner of the road just outside this building and the road that dips down to the bottom right in the picture.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The road may be perfectly straight when looking on an aerial photo, but the irregularities in the bordering bocage might still block LOS after a rather short distance. But yes, the hex grid does change the geometry of the world, and long, straight, wall-bordered roads will play very differently if they're not right along a hex grain.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So.... (asking again).... what does the other board (10a/b) in the WO pack look like?