Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I been to the Bridges at Gerlafingen, fought at the Tank Battle at Metalwaren, and seen many a firefights near Ebersburen, Versbach, Feldschlossn, Ditzendorf, Rockenberg, Oppershofen, Steinfurth, Wolfersheim, Wohnbach, Obbornhofen, Nieder, Wisselsheim, Mellbach, Bisses, Grund Schwalleim, Echzell, Gettnau, Utphe, Berstadt and Unter Widdersheim.

One of my favorite places is From the Halls of Fremdingen to the Shores of the Riese...

Bonus points for which board wargame (modern) these came from, +10 for publisher and +25 for the games. LOL
Metalwaren... Literally, Metallwaren means (metal) hardware in German.

That sounds like Warhammer RPG or something in this direction. They have a knack of abusing the the German language. Examples from the 'Enemy Within' campaign IIRC:

The master-demon is called 'Zahnarzt'. Sounds tough. Translates to dentist.
In a town the street where the smiths have their shops is called 'Eisenbahn'. Eisen (iron) plus Bahn (alley as one translation). Translated from German, 'Eisenbahn' would translate to 'railway' though.
The whole thing is full of it, which I found very funny.

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try 'Fucking' in Austria or 'Titz' and 'Petting' in Germany and you'll actually arrive somewhere.
And if you are fed up with too much 'Hanf' (manila) or 'Drogen' (drugs) you can actually go to 'Kotzen' (puke).

Cheers,
von Marwitz
Been to Hell once too!

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Panic time !!

Packing my ASL kit for Cancon 2019 to be held next week in Canberra...and to my total surprise could not find overlay O2
Turned the whole study upside down looking for the little bugger ..but no luck

The horror..the horror...

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
They have a knack of abusing the the German language.

von Marwitz
Some examples of how SPI back in the 1970's used "creative" German names for their Hypothetical Soviet versus the US, Great Britain and West Germany games:

1976:
1547817271601.png

1979 a:
1547817431893.png
1979 b:
1547817465087.png
1979 c:
1547817500153.png
1979 d:
1547817554352.png

I have battled over many of these places in the 80's lol.

In 1976 SPI produced Firefight (the first image) to the US Army and then sold it commercially.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Panic time !!

Packing my ASL kit for Cancon 2019 to be held next week in Canberra...and to my total surprise could not find overlay O2
Turned the whole study upside down looking for the little bugger ..but no luck

The horror..the horror...
Check your maps. It might be on one.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Welcome to Newfoundland and Labrador:

Black Tickle
Chimney Tickle
Leading Tickles
Tickle Cove
Tickle Harbour
Blow Me Down
Come by Chance
Comfort Cove
Conception Bay
Cupids
Dildo
Exploits
Happy Adventure
Happy Valley
Heart’s Content
Heart’s Delight
Heart’s Desire
Little Heart’s Ease
Little Paradise
Man Point
Muddy Hole
Placentia
Tilting
Virgin Cove

fzmann

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Organized my scenarios for easy access. Worked on my travel kit (hello West Coast Melee), by punching and trimming corners of Finnish and Italian counters from Broken Ground Design.

Pondering what to do with my Hatten and AoO counters (I have the old AoO counters) which are still in the box and unpunched.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finished proofing for George Kelln on future release of LCP Konigsberg module.
Starting to proofread Steve Swann's draft copy of Armored Train rules.
Then have two more items to finish up for George.

Last edited:

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Organized my scenarios for easy access. Worked on my travel kit (hello West Coast Melee), by punching and trimming corners of Finnish and Italian counters from Broken Ground Design.

Pondering what to do with my Hatten and AoO counters (I have the old AoO counters) which are still in the box and unpunched.
be a man among men, pop the unused counters into the blender, add 2 raw eggs, and some vitamilk, seaweed extract, and some kale for the penultimate "ASL Power-Smoothie 1000". Guaranteed to keep your energy levels up during marathon ASL matches at tournaments!!! :)D :D )

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Not exactly my ASL doings but still maybe a little story worthy to relate:

My small 5 year-old is always interested, when M.Koch comes over for a FtF game and takes great interest in who of us is playing "the robbers" and who "the police". The good guys receive reinforcement in the form of Playmobil faeries with a magic wand or a fully armored mounted knight armed to the teeth, while the bad guys receive a tattered pirate with bare hands or a dagger at most, which are aligned at the side of the playing area.

She's always delighted if M.Koch allows her to make a DR or two. As such, he has gained the privilege to be asked by her to write in her little "Friend's Book" in which you put your favorite color, dish, animal etc. and can draw a small picture. Michael has contrieved to "draw" something that manages to capture something that both covers ASL and things that every little girl loves - horses. Here it is:

Horses.jpg

Some ASL terrain with a horse counter on the field. My daughter was beaming with joy.

However, there was something that had her father beaming with joy, too, and this was her comment on it:

"Oh, how nice! Horses!! But the counter is not clipped."

:D:D:D

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sweet story, what does the German words mean in the drawing?

Good job on teaching her clipped!

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Struggling to recall my German lessons from over 30 years ago, I believe it is "I have made this for you". How did I do?