When will the user flags return?

wehrwolf

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I liked the little flags which used to be displayed under the avatars. Just made the forums a lot more colorful and, I thought, more fun. Plus I liked being able to see where people are from.

Are the flags under revision or something, or have they been removed permanently?

hashishiyun

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Why were they removed in the first place? Was it something to do with the software update, or did some pussy get offended or something...

Bring back the flags.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
They were lost as part of a software update a long time ago. I don't remember the exact details, but I hope to bring them back eventually.

Red2112

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I liked them as well. Helped keep track of all the people on here.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm not sure how these flag circles are attributed. I mean, some of us have set a reasonable location that might be used to automatically determine a country, but vM has "Kraut Corner" and I'm not sure this is a real town in Germany :)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm not sure how these flag circles are attributed. I mean, some of us have set a reasonable location that might be used to automatically determine a country, but vM has "Kraut Corner" and I'm not sure this is a real town in Germany :)
If you look at your account details, under account details again, there is a mandatory field drop-down for country. The location field is also there, but it is free text.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. Turns out I did set the country correctly...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I thought I was in Norway, but apparently I have vexillodyslexia (flag dyslexia).

JR

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
And, sadly, you can't just opt out because those are a godawful eyesore and space waster (also, it's a really embarrassing time to be American...)
It’s great to be an American again! Time to clean up the government fat and get lean again. I like the rounded flags.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, if you ask the Americans who are notoriously distinguished in getting the location and geography of foreign countries right, "Kraut Corner" might surely be.

Personally, I don't like the flags - too much color stuff. To add to the confusion, I contemplated to change my setting to "Isle of Man", but looking at the result, the three legs appear somewhat like a 'three legged white swastika' on red ground. Not quite appropriate, so I'll change it again. A picture of von Marwitz's castle looks better...

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
And, sadly, you can't just opt out because those are a godawful eyesore and space waster
(Not going to comment on the politics - I'm happy with a little off-topic banter, but I really think those comments should stick to the appropriate subforum, or they're sure to create trouble)

I do agree that the flags tend to catch the eye. Not ugly per se, but I think they make concentrating on the significant stuff a bit harder. An option to display them or not would be good.