HASL Boards

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
A couple of thoughts to get your reaction to...

My basement now possesses a great new, expandable table that can easily accommodate very large scenarios and most HASLs (Hatten, VotG, Corregidor, RO, RB, etc). Only the full, four-panel, Schmidt/Kommerscheidt map overhangs slightly on the short side (curse you and your 1" hexes BFP! ;)). So I am looking forward to exploring these games in full for the first time.o_O

But I do find flattening and aligning these huge sheets to be a pain, as is keeping them well-aligned for LOS draws. Any recommendations for this - short of glue (pics are nice). Plus I don't love the idea of a giant sheet of Plexiglas (ASL gives me way more than enough stuff to try and find storage for!)...

Also, is it cost prohibitive or simply too ungainly to issue these boards in SK-style - perhaps larger panels than normal, packaged in a larger box? I am picturing something like Deluxe-sized (or even larger) boards - with regular size hexes - folded in half. These would unfold flat and line up much neater with adjacent boards. I think this would be a better solution. Besides, the seams on most HASL maps crack and wear right out of the box - they usually come that way.

P.S. and why 1" for 4-panel Schmidt/Kommerscheidt but the smaller hexes for 2-panel Vossenack? The latter works great and looks beautiful on my new slab! :cool:

P.P.S. So long cheap old kitchen table from my bachelor apartment days!

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Removable tape works and is good for overlays too. Some kind of plexi is really the best though as the creases in the map will act like a springboard and pop up a large stack of counters if you push down near it with other counters

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I use removable tape too.
Works fine.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the medieval approach...being a medievalist...and having worked on large documents written on parchment which have their own memory like folded maps do....you might try archival weights...https://www.gaylord.com/c/Weights <--- this just to give you ex. I have never shopped here. (You could likely mock up your own version using items you find elsewhere in shops and art stores.)

These circumvent your plexi NA request. You can place the weights (you probably need min 8 to 10) as you see fit (like 6 about the outer rim and 4 elsewhere) and then move one, just a little ways, if a LOS check is required through it, then replace it back afterwards.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How about just using some real weights. You could throw some 5 and 10 lb plates on there. You're also getting a nice workout. It's win win win.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But this often causes glare. Especially for large area boards such as being used in HASLs.

von Marwitz
None glare plexi and or real glass is available.

Check for plastic supply houses in your area. When they do custom jobs there are always pieces available. Probably not in the shape you want (square/rectangle) but the stuff is easy to cut.

waltermcwilliam

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Laminating them is the only way to go. Period.
I've laminating my HASL maps for years. I keep the flat under the bed until required for use, then place them on my table (plastic), tape them down and top with plexi. My new game table will be here this summer and then it will be plexi only.

pensatl1962

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I've not done this myself, but I have a friend who dry mounts his HASL maps to foam board. Maybe okay as long as you're not going to transport them anywhere.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you want to be able to break the game down and not be able to keep it up, then you may need to create several separate pieces of board that can be separated and relocated. I've cut the HASLs into smaller pieces, then spray glue them to a rigid surface such as particle board. I've used 1/4" and 1/8" - the larger having the benefit of not warping, the smaller the benefit of weight. But before cutting and pasting - you may want to color copy the HASL first (even enlarge it when you do) - and use the colored copies for this kind of sacrificial solution.

Then, you can store the HASL in some place where kids, cats, and wives will not bother.