ASL 121 End Station Budapest SSR 3 Question

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSR states Romanian AEs have a broken side Morale Level one greater than printed. However, since this is a Romanian vs. Hungarian scenario, A25.8 states "Due to the historical dislike Hungarians and Romanians had for each other, in all scenarios where Hungarians are fighting Romanians, the broken Morale Level of their MMC is one higher than printed and No Quarter (A20.3) is in effect for both sides."

So, is the morale level one higher or two higher for the Romanian AEs?

buser333

Reaction score
SSR states Romanian AEs have a broken side Morale Level one greater than printed. However, since this is a Romanian vs. Hungarian scenario, A25.8 states "Due to the historical dislike Hungarians and Romanians had for each other, in all scenarios where Hungarians are fighting Romanians, the broken Morale Level of their MMC is one higher than printed and No Quarter (A20.3) is in effect for both sides."

So, is the morale level one higher or two higher for the Romanian AEs?
My guess is that they intended it to be one higher than "normal," but since "normal" in this case is already one higher I don't know. The page you are quoting was issued in 2014. I would be curious to know what the 1st Edition page said. Some of these "revised" scenarios were done very sloppily and there are still scenarios in the re-released AoO that can be broken. I hope when they re-release WoA they address some of these broken scenarios as well. Bottom line is, your guess is as good as mine.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My guess is that they intended it to be one higher than "normal," but since "normal" in this case is already one higher I don't know. The page you are quoting was issued in 2014. I would be curious to know what the 1st Edition page said. Some of these "revised" scenarios were done very sloppily and there are still scenarios in the re-released AoO that can be broken. I hope when they re-release WoA they address some of these broken scenarios as well. Bottom line is, your guess is as good as mine.
The SSR is from the updated scenario that was released with 'new' AoO.

buser333

Reaction score
The SSR is from the updated scenario that was released with 'new' AoO.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the page from the rule book. My supposition is that the rule about the Hungarians/Romanians fighting each other was added later than the 1st Edition rule book. Based on a strict reading of the rules I would say the AEs have no additional higher morale than what is already granted by the rule book.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the page from the rule book. My supposition is that the rule about the Hungarians/Romanians fighting each other was added later than the 1st Edition rule book. Based on a strict reading of the rules I would say the AEs have no additional higher morale than what is already granted by the rule book.
I ditched my 1st addition ASLRB long ago, but I don't think 25.8 changed. My inclination is to grant AEs ML two higher than normal. Otherwise, what is the purpose of this SSR? If Hungarians/Romanians ML remained as printed contrary to 25.8, I would think it would say that in SSR too. This scenario was designed by Brian Martuzas. I think he is on Gamesquad but I don't know his username, otherwise I would tag him for this post.

buser333

Reaction score
I ditched my 1st addition ASLRB long ago, but I don't think 25.8 changed. My inclination is to grant AEs ML two higher than normal. Otherwise, what is the purpose of this SSR? If Hungarians/Romanians ML remained as printed contrary to 25.8, I would think it would say that in SSR too. This scenario was designed by Brian Martuzas. I think he is on Gamesquad but I don't know his username, otherwise I would tag him for this post.
He would be the guy to ask. I think it is Tooz.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I ditched my 1st addition ASLRB long ago, but I don't think 25.8 changed.
A25.8 changed substantially from 1st edition. There was no separate rules for any particular Axis Minor nationality. In particular there was no rule that said the broken ML changed for Romanians and Hungarians when fighting each other.

JR

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A25.8 changed substantially from 1st edition. There was no separate rules for any particular Axis Minor nationality. In particular there was no rule that said the broken ML for Romanians and Hungarians when fighting each other.

JR
Well, that *is* interesting. I still wonder what the intent for this scenario was given that it has "This scenario has been updated from its original version" below the title.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
AoO was orignally published after the 2nd edition was published, so what A25.8 said in the first edition is kind of moot.

However, this line was not present was not present in the original 2nd edition printing:
"Due to the historical dislike Hungarians and Romanians had for each other, in all scenarios where Hungarians are fighting Romanians, the broken Morale Level of their MMC is one higher than printed and No Quarter (20.3)39 is in effect for both sides."

It was, however, added in the replacement pages that came with AoO - so the scenario, I would assumed, was developed under the assumption that this applied.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I still wonder what the intent for this scenario was given that it has "This scenario has been updated from its original version" below the title.
As Klas said, the initial second edition page was similar to the first edition. But this was probably because AoO had not been finished. I would expect that the note on the scenario is due to it having been altered in AoO 2nd edition rather than due to any change in the ASLRB.

JR

buser333

Reaction score
AoO was orignally published after the 2nd edition was published, so what A25.8 said in the first edition is kind of moot.

However, this line was not present was not present in the original 2nd edition printing:
"Due to the historical dislike Hungarians and Romanians had for each other, in all scenarios where Hungarians are fighting Romanians, the broken Morale Level of their MMC is one higher than printed and No Quarter (20.3)39 is in effect for both sides."

It was, however, added in the replacement pages that came with AoO - so the scenario, I would assumed, was developed under the assumption that this applied.
Except that SSR3 clearly says broken morale one greater than printed. I would argue that the wording on the scenario card was made before any 2nd Edition addendum. PM forthcoming regarding your other question.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would expect that the note on the scenario is due to it having been altered in AoO 2nd edition rather than due to any change in the ASLRB.
Yes, scenario 121 have these updates in AoO v2.

121 End Station Budapest: Add one Zrinyi II to the Hungarian Turn 3 reinforcements. Delete two 3-4-7 squads from the Romanian at-start OB. (The Romanian BI BPV number changes from [204] to [198].)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Except that SSR3 clearly says broken morale one greater than printed. I would argue that the wording on the scenario card was made before any 2nd Edition addendum.
Might very well be the case - anyway, the rules (A25.8) and the SSR now say the same thing - so that SSR text is superfluous.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Might very well be the case - anyway, the rules (A25.8) and the SSR now say the same thing - so that SSR text is superfluous.
Not necessarily. Now every MMC on both sides has broken level morale increased by one. That is a pretty big change. If the SSR is superfluous I’m surprised it was not caught and corrected/deleted in the reprint.

buser333

Reaction score
Not necessarily. Now every MMC on both sides has broken level morale increased by one. That is a pretty big change. If the SSR is superfluous I’m surprised it was not caught and corrected/deleted in the reprint.
With my suspicion about the original A25.8 confirmed I believe they do say the same thing and that SSR3 is just sloppy in the sense that it wasn't properly revised.

buser333

Reaction score
It is not easy to catch everything when editing/proofing.
Understood, and much appreciation is to be awarded for the people that do all that hard work, but this should be addressed in official errata at some point. Because it is very confusing as currently written.