Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Roger (a.k.a. rdw5150) offered this interesting aside in a recent post:

PS I did take a 48 hex shot. I think it was my farthest ASL shot ever.
Now I don't know Roger (or his guitar), but this seemed like an original question to pose to all and sundry. What was the furthest shot you ever took?

Can't say I have any idea myself, though I doubt I ever hit 48 hexes...

...except back in summer of '82. Me and my usual mate decided to take on his older brother. Every board through GI: Anvil of Victory (plus "rogue" boards and some extra 7s or 8s to make the river longer). I can't remember the point of it all, but it was pretty much the entire British (me) and U.S. OoB versus the Germans in a rediculous game that lasted weeks.

I don't know what it was all about, but I am sure we took some absurdly long shots.

P.S. Ah! To be young and foolish...o_O

...:oops:

Last edited:

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back in the days when I played constant desert ASL, I could glance at the maps and judge 31-36 range or 37-42 or 43-48 or 49-54 range and call if I was ready to take a shot. Not able to see that far today, need new glasses. Yes we took 54 + attacks and some hit, and some killed.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Back in the days when I played constant desert ASL, I could glance at the maps and judge 31-36 range or 37-42 or 43-48 or 49-54 range and call if I was ready to take a shot. Not able to see that far today, need new glasses. Yes we took 54 + attacks and some hit, and some killed.
Of course! The Desert!! :wtf: Extra points for answers north of the Mediterranean.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
ASL-O "The St. Goar Assault" (originally SL-11) features 4 boards end-on-end (2-1-4-3).

I had a StuG III G on a level 3 hill of board 2 firing at American infantry (ATT) on a level 2 hill of board 3, so the range was around 80+ hexes.

Unfortunately, I malfunctioned the gun ……..

John.

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
72 hexes; tank duel between Sherman VC Firefly and a Pzkw VG Panther.

Way back in the last century, I believe it was the summer of 98, Winnipeg ASL Club was conduct an epic battle on the original hand drawn Abbeye des Ardenne map (120 hexes x 80 hexes).

After each tank traded a few shots (building up a -2 Acquisition in the process) the Firefly hit the Panther first in the Hull (bounced), the Panther hit a couple of shots in the turret and (18-8 = 10) TK DR was a 4 and burning Firefly.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
50 hexes is 2000 meters, in WW2 that's a longish shot I think, but not extreme. Think there may be a natural tendecy in board making outside desert to end up with filled in maps, taking HASL maps to get more open boards for long shots. The player made one for Wittman's death comes to mind. Most play areas pretty small. Be nice to see a HASL of Operation Queen, accounts of some 4000 meter or 100 hex shots in that.

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think that's a given - especially since ASL is mostly a game of infantry combat, and no squad can fire at more than 12 hexes by itself. Many scenarios don't even have a single LOS to a longer range.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I’m just surprised one of the Stalingrad nuts hasn’t chimed in and said “this one time, THREE hexes!” ;)
Ha! But actually, I am waiting for the guy who says: "Heck, I once attempted to place SMOKE at 150 hexes. And I would have made it too if it weren't for that darn Kübelwagen!"

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ha! But actually, I am waiting for the guy who says: "Heck, I once attempted to place SMOKE at 150 hexes. And I would have made it too if it weren't for that darn Kübelwagen!"
Hidden from view as in bypass, of course :)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
There's some long LOS for shots available on the KGPII 'La Gleize' map...
I played the LG CG but with the super extreme mist, no long shots were taken for most of it as there was little LOS while the forces were closing in on each other

Peace

Roger

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Operation Rosselsprung. Bob O'Connor, Doc Pomerantz, Marc Genberg (RIP), and I. I had Tito on the top of the hill manning a .50 cal. Bob O' spins an 81mm Mortar, misses but maintains rate, then hits with a 1,1 for the 30 -2. Generates a 4MC which Tito breaks but survives. That shot was 50+ hexes. -- jim

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Received long shots on Omaha East West. Regular 32 range -4/5 shots. 1-5 still hurts.

I try so set up mtrs for the longest shots possible, calibre makes a massive difference, but with an 81mm, 6 to hit at 36 hex range isn't bad. There are a few CGs that have taught me the value of L and LL guns.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played the LG CG but with the super extreme mist, no long shots were taken for most of it as there was little LOS while the forces were closing in on each other

Peace

Roger
That's my experience with LG too, had a tank setup for long range, but no shots.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
We closed the gaps to each other when suddenly the wind change changed the mist level from that super heavy mist, (no LOS) to "regular" heavy mist and suddenly, all these tank could see each other. Over the next three game turns something like 30 AFV died. It was pretty cool.

Roger

Westy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I rolled snakes when an 8-3-8 threw a DC on to a motion Sherman during a night scenario.......the resultant burning wreck providing illumination for the big cats to start a pounding....from fricken miles away....in La Gleize map