So what's the best game of ASL you played in 2018 (and why) ? And what's the best new scenario you played in 2018 ?

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I think my most memorable game of the year was DTF-2 Blitzkrieg! against my worthy and expressive friend and opponent Sean Deller, at Albany. Sean was brave enough to take me on in a scenario Chris and I designed and made the game a nailbiter.....the fact I lost in the final CCPh after a full day of wild ASL says it all. Just a complete joy ride.

truly an epic struggle that put DTF2 on the top of my playlist

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think my most memorable game of the year was DTF-2 Blitzkrieg! against my worthy and expressive friend and opponent Sean Deller, at Albany. Sean was brave enough to take me on in a scenario Chris and I designed and made the game a nailbiter.....the fact I lost in the final CCPh after a full day of wild ASL says it all. Just a complete joy ride.
You didn't tell the readers that when the game ended you had amassed 19 of the 20 VP's needed for a win. I was keeping tabs on this game all day. It certainly was one for the ages...
Steve

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The game with the most memorable ending was my match against Rick Reinesch at the North Texas Shootout in Choiseul Few, but I didn't think much of the scenario despite that exciting ending. See my AAR on that tourney elsewhere in these forums. Probably the best scenario I played was Steamroller, though it wasn't a close match. It's a cool scenario, though.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
On the win side, a Soviet victory in Turn 5 of J94, "Kempf At Melikhovo" against James Wolstenholme was a real nail-biter. Only a defensive fire tour de force by my immobilized KV prevented him from gaining his final victory building.

Two bitter-end losses against John Brown also stand out as enjoyable experiences. Late in a match of in J183, "A Real Barn Burner," he remembered how I snatched wall advantage against defenders in a building and he used it against me during his French counterattack when I overlooked a WA declaration in the RPh. Against heavy odds, he somehow pushed enough infantry through defensive fire to initiate close combat on the final victory building, then got one of several gift sixes from me on an ambush dr, and suddenly defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory. John was also kind enough to let me talk him into not throwing in the towel in J193, "Raff's Rules." Sure enough, he found a way to get enough of his paratroopers over the line, and I was comforted at having been proven right. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My best ASL game of 2018? All of them - any ASL time is good ASL time in my busy schedule.

As for best new scenario - my scenario design contest entry was quite enjoyable playing, actually, as were the other submissions. I am, for one, interested in perhaps another contest for 2019. The timing on that was perfect for me to work up a good design and an interesting scenario with a great "hook". All self-modesty aside of course :). Beyond that, there was a pretty damn cool playtest scen we did in 2018 that was a real hoot of a new scenario, made both players think constantly about how close they were to losing - means an excellent design in most respects, if both sides feel one more screwup will cost the game. ;).

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played BFP 104 Flying Turret vs Nelson over Christmas. What a swirling melee of ASL goodness. We knocked it out in about 10 hours playing time.

This is a must play scenario.

My plan as the Russians was to implement The Attack Without Mercy. It worked :)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I played BFP 104 Flying Turret vs Nelson over Christmas. What a swirling melee of ASL goodness. We knocked it out in about 10 hours playing time.

This is a must play scenario.

My plan as the Russians was to implement The Attack Without Mercy. It worked :)
How did you possibly get that done in 10 hours? Burnie and I have played it three times, all on VASL (saving tons of time with counter manipulation). We play pretty fast. There is no way we could get it done in 10 hours.

That being said, of our three plays, the only one the Russians won was because of botched setup (from me) when the bombardment garnered lots of CVP (I set the HTs up too close and they got pasted).

Other than that the Russians got crushed (well not crushed, but beat up pretty good). The black TH #s versus red TH #'s and then SSR that CE armor leaders increase RoF (if we play again, we might house rule this out) just seems to spell doom.

Our last playing, the Russians did get stuff across the "finish line" but again, the Germans up on that hill with a 2 RoF just ruined the day.

To be clear, this may be my favorite monster scenario. Its a lot of fun but seems pretty tough on the Russians (even when they do just charge everything forward and never stop).

Peace

Roger

PS: I did take a 48 hex shot. I think it was my farthest ASL shot ever.

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How did you possibly get that done in 10 hours?
Nelson conceded on turn 4.5 once after I racked up 125 CVP on the Germans. He did not think he could hold on for the rest of the game losing <25 CVP.

I pretty much moved everyone forward except the 152s, which were slaughtered. I did not like his set up. He defended the forward hill heavily and other stuff was too far forward as well. I used bounding fire liberally. There are just so many Russians to shoot.

He had pretty crappy luck with his CE ALs for rate.

The bombardments only eliminated one 2.2.8 crew on a MTR who broke then fated on self rally. He did not have nearly enough on the level 2 hill at start (only 2 counters). He feared the bombardment too much and vastly overestimated its affects IMHO.

I got all 4 planes on Turn 4 and killed 5 tanks. His AA was not well positioned.

We were GREATLY aided by using Saltzman's custom acquires for the scenario.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Nelson conceded on turn 4.5 once after I racked up 125 CVP on the Germans. He did not think he could hold on for the rest of the game losing <25 CVP.

I pretty much moved everyone forward except the 152s, which were slaughtered. I did not like his set up. He defended the forward hill heavily and other stuff was too far forward as well. I used bounding fire liberally. There are just so many Russians to shoot.

He had pretty crappy luck with his CE ALs for rate.

The bombardments only eliminated one 2.2.8 crew on a MTR who broke then fated on self rally. He did not have nearly enough on the level 2 hill at start (only 2 counters). He feared the bombardment too much and vastly overestimated its affects IMHO.

I got all 4 planes on Turn 4 and killed 5 tanks. His AA was not well positioned.

We were GREATLY aided by using Saltzman's custom acquires for the scenario.
I thought there was no acquiry in flying tourettes?

Ganjulama

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How did you possibly get that done in 10 hours?.
Another thing we did was make a 1/3 sized map with common ranges to / from various features written on the map. We just taped it to the wall for easy reference.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So when the turret fly off - does one get to see where it lands before deciding on whether to track the turret with the Acquistion or keep it on the hull? :D
and this is precisely how one makes recycles use of all those nationality colored generic turret counters from SL-GI :). Far more interesting to see a battlefield littered with brown and blue turrets.

Now if we can just talk Alan into making a battleground set of burnt out turrets in nationality colors...........o_O

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I'm quite a fan of multi-player ASL games.

But with real life pressures getting ever more in the way, they're getting ever-more rarer to accomplish. Although I've managed 3 such games this past year.

J-036 (as a 4-player) http://twasler.666forum.com/t36-j-036-the-bridge-at-verdalsora-john-and-kang-yu-vs-robin-and-tou-mu

ASL-003 (as a 3-player) http://twasler.666forum.com/t50-3-player-asl-in-wugu-asl-003-the-czernaikow-bridgehead-john-and-little-wolf-vs-robin

ASL-102 (as a 3-player) http://twasler.666forum.com/t52-asl-102-point-of-the-sword-john-vs-robin-and-little-wolf

John.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I went through my log to remind me of scenarios that had any special significance to me.

I had a match of AP86 MILLING ABOUT with Darren Kovacs that was significant to me because I finally had a good game against him. I lost, but I was in it to the end; against Darren that is an achievement.

The scenario TX5 RUSH HOUR was memorable because of its unique first turn, in which each side alternates entering the map board.

I played Mike McGrath for the second time in my life. The first time was my first scenario of my first tournament at the first Avaloncon. I played much much better this time, but I lost (with the Germans). The scenario was FrF85 JUNKERS JUNKED.

WO26 PHOENIX RISING had me playing on new deluxe boards, which was cool. I enjoyed the scenario as well; I won that one.

FrF98 AMERIKANSKAYA SUKA sticks out for its hard-to-remember name and because I played it three times in the same month by chance. I lost twice as the Russians and won once as the Germans.

Last edited:

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Couldn’t tell ya what the best game I played was, ‘cause 2018 was one of those years. And I can’t tell ya what the best scenario I played was, ‘cause that’s top secret.