worst pilot ever?

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So what are the chances of an observation plane malfunctioning its radio (and repairing it!) twice in a 5 turn scenario and....calling in friendly fire on his own troops? (sans casualties) any worse events you have had?

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In the OBS equivalent of 'On The Hoss' Side' where the 10-3 must hold of near continual banzais, the airsupport neatly napalmed the Hoss and his MG stack.

I love the smell of Roast Hoss in the morning.

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In defense of other pilots out there, the chances of malfunctioning a radio are nil. Wrong frequency or static maybe (rolling too high) which will affect battery access, but malfunction is NA.

The last sentence of E7.61 Sighting: ... Otherwise, an Observation Plane is subject to the same OBA rules as an onboard Observer, including the need to roll for Radio Contact/Maintenance [EXC: Malfunction (C1.22) is NA].

Keep flying, roll low, and be sure of your target before calling for fire!

Scott.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Looks like the ALSRB bests another one.

If we're going to compare worst mis-readings of the rules, I can point you to the video AAR I put online, completely oblivious that both of us goofed on the entry of reinforcements for one side and brought them on the wrong map edge, completely behind (and thus encircling) the other guy's forces. It happens.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
RB, I as the Jerries, in come Stukas, target dug in AFV, actual target pioneers (2x 8-3-8s) with FL & DC and 10-2, hex rubbles and burning flame, 1KIA, RS all 3 tie, SAN activation KIA another stacks 9-2.

It was all fuzzy after...

Good fun...

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am going to guess Navy. I don't think there were carrier-based marine aviation at the time.

JR
This was true early on, but beginning with the period and campaigns after Tarawa (Howling' Mad not happy with Navy air support) certain USMC squadrons flew from carriers...ex in 1944 VMF-214 Blacksheep deployed from the carrier USS Franklin.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This was true early on, but beginning with the period and campaigns after Tarawa (Howling' Mad not happy with Navy air support) certain USMC squadrons flew from carriers...ex in 1944 VMF-214 Blacksheep deployed from the carrier USS Franklin.
True, but the comment was about a mistaken attack on gavutu-tanambogo. Although the marines had aviation operating from carriers as far back as the '30s, as best I can tell the air units available from carriers during the guadalcanal invasion (and I think through the whole campaign) were all navy. There definitely were land-based marine aviation in the campaign, but not carrier-based as far as I can tell. Any air support during the gavutu-tanambogo battle would definitely have been carrier-based.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, I thought you were speaking overall not directly to the G-T timeframe.