What boardgames have you played recently?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today we played the second battle scenario of Coral Sea, from the Second World War at Sea series. Despite being annihilated again by my IJN opponent, I have really enjoyed learning the rules and mechanics of this game. Very much looking forward to playing the first operational scenario with full task forces in another week or so.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Root at our First Minnesota game night. Interesting game of asymmetrical war in...the forest. Cats, birds, critters and the vagabond. It was a lot of fun.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I pulled out "Stonewall Jackson's Way" (first game in the "Great Campaigns of the American Civil War" series) and set up the "Cedar Mountain" scenario for solo play. My brother-in-law is coming down for T'giving and I want to refresh my memory on the rules. I recall liking this series (back in the dark ages of my life before I knew ASL) and hope to find the time to entice him to give it a shot.

seblick

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Sun of Austerlitz (OSG) with Daudin revisions. We agree it is really worth the effort, and superior to the CoN base rules (which I like very much).
Also Friedrich (Histogame) and Churchill (GMT).
General consensus is quite positive, especially Friedrich,which is cunningly designed and really fascinating.
My ASL regular has been unavailable due to the press of work. I need some play soon or the rules will start to leak again out of my ossifying head.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fighting Formations: Gross Deutschland at Kharkov. Not bad. I eventually grew to hate some of the mechanics in Combat Commander, but this is pretty good.

Saipan, The Bloody Rock: Company Scale System. Played 'Dog Day' the first day of the historical landings. very tough on the US Marines. We made a few errors, but a pretty good system. Rule book isn't the best, lots of key information buried where you wouldn't expect it. Top quality production values marred by some weak QA on the rulebook and scenario book. I still prefer GTS, but this system is more fluid. It's easier to get action points and purchase dispatch points (if you've played any GTS you'll know how frustrating that can be, especially in the first 2 games in the series).

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just took delivery of 'Thunder in the East' from Victory Point Games, East Front 1941-45. I kick-started this at the end of last year for $99. The gaming bargain of 2018! You get a helluva lot of game for $99. looks fantastic, components are as good as it gets IMHO. I hope it plays as good as it looks. :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fighting Formations: Gross Deutschland at Kharkov. Not bad. I hated Combat Commander, but this is pretty good.

Saipan, The Bloody Rock: Company Scale System. Played 'Dog Day' the first day of the historical landings. very tough on the US Marines. We made a few errors, but a pretty good system. Rule book isn't the best, lots of key information buried where you wouldn't expect it. Top quality production values. I still prefer GTS, but this system is more fluid. It's easier to action points and dispatch points (if you've played any GTS you'll know how frustrating that can be.
Fighting Formations is a decent game- plays well.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the classic 7 Wonders with the family over Christmas. Still great.

Got Quartermaster General1914 for Christmas. I cant wait to give it a whirl. Getting 5 people may be a challenge.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Fighting Formations is a decent game- plays well.
Yes, we had a good time playing the scenario. It’s a keeper. I could never get to grips with the ‘Chaos’ of Combat Commander. That plus the absence of armour eventually persuaded me to sell on the modules I’d bought. Fighting formations is a different beast altogether.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I have purchased Galaxy Defenders and have played several missions.
This game is a blast !
Excellent coop sci-fi skirmish game, with interesting alien AI - some consider the game superior to its fantasy equivalent, Sword & Sorcery.GD resized.jpgGD 2.JPG

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just walking through learning scenario for Fighting Formations, .. just need to get use to play dynamics but I like what i see so far.
Tried Warriors of Japan a week ago, didn't seem to hit it for me.. I don't know the period covered seemed too brief, I think if it had covered a different period and scope such as the Gempei War 1180-85, or Imjin War 1592-98 it would have appealed to me more or at the very least cover the Sengoku Jidai 1467-1615. As it stands this game covered only the Nanboku-chō jidai, also known as the Northern and Southern Courts period), spanning from 1336 to 1392, though very influential it was very difficult for me to relate to this period. At least with the Sengoku Jidai period I can more easily research and play some of the GBOH battles for Samurai or Ran to relate.
Perhaps if this was part of a planned series of games covering the different Samurai periods it would have appealed to me, at least it would provide me an opportunity to study the history over time rather than focusing on lessor known war (at least by Western Standards).
Next up I need to apply the stickers to Skies above the Reich and tackle on the 8th Airforce. Been debating how I can generate a campaign by combining the Yaquinto game Bomber with this.. trouble is the old Yaquinto rulebooks were badly printed and at times either nearly illegible or too dense. Maybe its me but I'm finding I'm beginning to be less patient with some of the older rulebooks. For example I revisited my old copy of MechWar 2 and can't believe I read through and played that game over 30 years back. The breadth of rules and innumerable charts is just crazy by todays standards. If this was sold today as a new design I would probably think twice. Yet, I somehow remain comfortable with ASL ever since I switched over in the early 80s from Squad Leader. I suspect it's the fact that I at least played this more regularly for years that helps my retention. Granted a lot of the FOW and Command Control issues have always been flawed and I've used to been highly critical of it, now these days I don't sweat it anymore and enjoy it what it is..

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
3rd Punic War scenario, SPI The Punic Wars. Very small forces involved. Comes to a chess like match.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Today we played the second battle scenario of Coral Sea, from the Second World War at Sea series. Despite being annihilated again by my IJN opponent, I have really enjoyed learning the rules and mechanics of this game. Very much looking forward to playing the first operational scenario with full task forces in another week or so.
I've enjoyed the few games in this series that I've played. Avalanche Press have been threatening to update the rulebook for a couple of years, so far nothing. It really does need it. I pre-ordered a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be released in the winter of 2016, so far only one module has been released.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
I've enjoyed the few games in this series that I've played. Avalanche Press have been threatening to update the rulebook for a couple of years, so far nothing. It really does need it. I pre-ordered a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be released in the winter of 2016, so far only one module has been released.
Second edition rulesbook is out. I proofed the carrier operations and air search section.

Last edited: