Partial Woods as Rout Target

_Fury_

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

In the following water is NA and is replaced by open ground. Is FF7 a valid (woods) rout target for the unit routing from GG8?

RoutQ.png

Thanks!

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I think yes, because it's not adjacent to any enemy unit and Woods represented in FF7 block LOS of known enemy units. But I've not seen all the map and units...

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think for rout purposes, that FF7 would be considered open ground. The only possible woods target hex would be EE8.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
FF7 is a water obstacle [B21.1] and not enterable without swimming or a boat, etc.

JR

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I think for rout purposes, that FF7 would be considered open ground. The only possible woods target hex would be EE8.
Open ground or not, please check example in page A24: the unit routing in example is capable to rout to open ground hex if it's not ADJACENT to enemy unit(s) and out of LOS of them. I quote: "so it elects to continue its rout to M4, where it may end its rout, or continue on to N3 or N4"
[edit]: eliminate typos

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
FF7 is a water obstacle [B21.1] and not enterable without swimming or a boat, etc.

JR
In the premise, wáter terrain was NA and replaced by open terrain

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Open ground or not, please check example in page A24: ther unit routing in example is capable to rout to open ground hex if it's not ADJACENT to enemy unit(s) and out of LOS of trhem. I quote: "so it elects to continue its rout to M4, where it may end its rout, or continue on to N3 or N4"
I agree, however since the question was whether it was a rout target, I thought what was being asked, was whether that hex could be chosen as the woods hex to rout to rather than through.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
I agree, however since the question was whether it was a rout target, I thought what was being asked, was whether that hex could be chosen as the woods hex to rout to rather than through.
I'm afraid of argue with jrv… and I will not! My impression (and that's for what I wanted to see the rest of map and units is that is an open ground hex, but a perfectly rout hex one. If it's a Wood hex, I doubt.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm afraid of argue with jrv… and I will not! My impression (and that's for what I wanted to see the rest of map and units is that is an open ground hex, but a perfectly rout hex one. If it's a Wood hex, I doubt.
B.1 specifically mentions buildings but there are other hexes where the terrain around the hex center is open ground but the terrain is clearly not open ground. My starter-kit-style board 45 hex G5 has open ground around the hex center but the hex is clearly woods. Depending on your printing you may find other hexes where the center does not contain the dominant terrain. Unfortunately there is no formal definition of what "dominant terrain" is. It's left for the players to judge. For me the artwork has to be an insignificant fleck and/or in a hex containing a really dominant terrain (not open ground) before I call it "marginal". To me the woods in FF7 is not an insignificant fleck. But that could be debated, and given that the terrain was created by SSR, the only way to resolve it officially would be to contact the designer/publisher.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
A few years or so ago there was a question where 2 boards abutted but the woods hex halves did not match. That question was how the half open-half woods were treated. I suggested that they be treated as weird shaped woods hexes, IE woods for movement purposes, etc but with a very odd shape for LOS. Perry subsequently chimed in and said that was the correct way to go.

You also see the very odd building hex with no building on the centre dot, they are still treated as buildings.

I would look at the SSR carefully. If it said water hexes were now open ground then FF7 would not be woods and thus not a valid rout destination, though possibly a valid rout path. If it just said water was open ground then FF7 would be woods and both a valid rout destination and path. The exact wording of water vs water hexes should be the decider.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Personally I would play it as open ground since it wasn’t a woods hex when there was water in it either, but that’s just me.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Personally I would play it as open ground since it wasn’t a woods hex when there was water in it either, but that’s just me.
I agree, I think the FF7 hex in question should be treated as 'open ground' (due to the predominant & SSR nature of the hex) with a couple of blocked hexsides.

Continue routing to the 'legitimate' woods hex (probably DD7).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The water obstacle rules are very clear that if the hex center is water, the hex is a water obstacle [B21.1]. There is no such clarity with open ground.

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The water obstacle rules are very clear that if the hex center is water, the hex is a water obstacle [B21.1]. There is no such clarity with open ground.

JR
True enough. Just stating my preference based on the wood-ness of the hex to start with.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For me there is not enough woods in the hex for it go be a woods hex. I would treat it as open ground. This woukd be something to agree on beforehand though