PTO Partisans

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A variation on a request about ETO Partisans from a while ago.

I know very little about PTO representations of Partisan-type actions (i.e. Filipino) in ASL. What Partisan "nationalities" are part of the PTO scenario mix? Apart from standard 337s, are other squad types used as well?

Thx

Tim Niesen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I vaguely remember that they are stealthy. Not sure. Never actually played with them. Tim

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The above comments and add a lot of Communist Chinese that are represented by 3-3-7s.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That does bring back the need for a second Partisan colour in addition to Soviet Brown. Personally I don't care which colour, maybe Soviet border with Axis Green interior. 337 and 527 should be enough variety. There are too many historical clashes between opposing Partisans (Titoist vs Chetniks, Polish AL vs AK, ELAS vs EDES, Soviet vs UPA, etc and that's just in Europe) to not have a second colour. Plenty of scope for 3 or more way fights, eg ELAS vs EDES vs Germans.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That does bring back the need for a second Partisan colour in addition to Soviet Brown. Personally I don't care which colour, maybe Soviet border with Axis Green interior. 337 and 527 should be enough variety. There are too many historical clashes between opposing Partisans (Titoist vs Chetniks, Polish AL vs AK, ELAS vs EDES, Soviet vs UPA, etc and that's just in Europe) to not have a second colour. Plenty of scope for 3 or more way fights, eg ELAS vs EDES vs Germans.
http://www.brokenground.design/p/idmy-store-9171333-typetextjavascript.html#!/Partisans/p/114725258/category=30982016

;)

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are also the wars of liberation that happened in Asia right after the end of WW2. It would be cool to have partisans for those conflicts.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True but its really not at all difficult to portray one side with the partisan 337/527 and the other side with axis minor units.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
True but its really not at all difficult to portray one side with the partisan 337/527 and the other side with axis minor units.
Quite true, it's just I think it would be nice to have them as official counters. It's not like I am going to cut myself over the lack of them. o_O

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've never thought Partisan battles made good ASL scenario's . Really there are only 2 kinds of partisan fights, the partisans walk into an ambush or they carry out an ambush. But back on topic, yea I think partisan counters should be extended a bit to include another color, might be a few cases where partisans fought other partisans.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I've never thought Partisan battles made good ASL scenario's . Really there are only 2 kinds of partisan fights, the partisans walk into an ambush or they carry out an ambush. But back on topic, yea I think partisan counters should be extended a bit to include another color, might be a few cases where partisans fought other partisans.
Check out Broken Ground Designs Partisan counters, three different versions for ETO! Eastern European, Western and Balkan. Each with a full OB of 1:2” and some with vehicles and Ord .

Last edited:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In Burma there were Kachins Rangers as well as Naga hillmen (former head hunters) who did a lot of scouting for the British in their battles around Imphal and Kohima in 1944.
By 1942 the Chinese in Japanese Occupied China (near the Burma border)--not too far from Myitkyina who called themselves "self defense brigades".

1545442821155.png 1545442924272.png

Just two that leap to mind.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In terms of partisans/guerrillas in the Asia theaters that *actually fought*, as opposed to just being organized (like the Thai guerrillas), the main players are the many different Filipino partisan forces, the Kachin (US led) rangers, the British led guerrillas in Burma (which did more intel than fighting, unlike the US-led ones), the Vietnamese communists, the Chinese communists, and the Chinese nationalists. You might also include the East Turkestan rebels in Xinjiang province. Allegedly the Koreans had active guerrilla forces but if they did any combat, I haven't been able to find reliable info about it.

The Kachin forces (who weren't all Kachin, by the way, as the Kachin mustered out after fighting left their region and other ethnic groups were mustered in) and some of the Filipino guerrillas (notably USAFIP-NL) achieved the ultimate guerrilla accomplishment--late in the war they were successfully converted into light infantry forces and engaged successfully in conventional warfare against the weakened and demoralized Japanese forces.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
There were other "partisan" troops in other places (e.g. Sir Jacob C. Vouza, KBE, GM, on Guadalcanal), but they probably didn't participate in numbers that would justify even a few MMC in ASL, never mind taking a side in a scenario.

JR

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There were other "partisan" troops in other places (e.g. Sir Jacob C. Vouza, KBE, GM, on Guadalcanal), but they probably didn't participate in numbers that would justify even a few MMC in ASL, never mind taking a side in a scenario.

JR
He also was honorary Sgt Maj of the Marine Corps and earned a Silver Star- along with guiding one column during the Carlson's 30 day Raid around the Japanese. I'd say during that period, he would represent as a 9-1 Heroic SMC.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In terms of partisans/guerrillas in the Asia theaters that *actually fought*, as opposed to just being organized (like the Thai guerrillas), the main players are the many different Filipino partisan forces, the Kachin (US led) rangers, the British led guerrillas in Burma (which did more intel than fighting, unlike the US-led ones), the Vietnamese communists, the Chinese communists, and the Chinese nationalists. You might also include the East Turkestan rebels in Xinjiang province. Allegedly the Koreans had active guerrilla forces but if they did any combat, I haven't been able to find reliable info about it.

The Kachin forces (who weren't all Kachin, by the way, as the Kachin mustered out after fighting left their region and other ethnic groups were mustered in) and some of the Filipino guerrillas (notably USAFIP-NL) achieved the ultimate guerrilla accomplishment--late in the war they were successfully converted into light infantry forces and engaged successfully in conventional warfare against the weakened and demoralized Japanese forces.
Nice to see you back, Mark. did you finish your book on ASL players yet?

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
There were headhunters on Borneo led by British & Australian officers, but the Europeans were on the island more for intelligence gathering and to 'show the flag', than actually organise combat resistance.

In 1945, the locals did attack the Japanese on the island, but not with modern weaponry, and not in a coordinated inter-tribal attack.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
There were headhunters on Borneo led by British & Australian officers, but the Europeans were on the island more for intelligence gathering and to 'show the flag', than actually organise combat resistance.

In 1945, the locals did attack the Japanese on the island, but not with modern weaponry, and not in a coordinated inter-tribal attack.
Nice! Now you can add “headhunting” TC by SSR. If successfull partisans become Fanatic and enemy units within LOS immediately shit their pants and ELR.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
You can easily use the BVR counters that come with Festung Budapest, they have the coloring you suggest and are fairly low quality.