Kohima

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
There are certainly legitimate things to criticize about CH, as There are other publishers. Constructive criticism would include comparing retail prices within the catalogue...some products are remarkably inexpensive, some are ridiculously high prices. Call out examples of both types.
CH's catalogue is notoriously info free. Effective criticism would include doing what Mark Pitcavage does...incorporating a complete listing of components. If you find set-up errors identify them and present your solutions. These would be a way to present unofficial publisher support that is both critical and constructive and a service to the membership.
Let’s get this straight

- typos : okay the proofreaders missed it
- setup errors and the like : did anyone even played this before this gets published?????

..and for the last time, please don’t insult our intelligence and mislead newbies by drawing false equivalencies between CH and other Publishers.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Also when I have to communicate a problem and at the same time proprose a solution for approval, that’s when I am getting paid.

Not after I shell out xx amount for a product with my hard earned cash.

So let’s just cut the crap.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
The Authors of BFP, MMP, LFT, FRF, LCP scenarios are magnificent at getting back to me generally within 24-48 hours if I have an errata question of any kind at all.
I seldom ask and when I do chances are more likely I have missed something than not, but the responses are fast courteous, and on occasion make me go Doh with what I have missed.

SP Scenarios seldom have egregious errata and I don't recall having had to send them a request for something that was broken.

It's been about 10 years since I played a CH scenario But I seldom hear of this kind of product support level.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Over the past 3 years I've experienced responses within 2 to 72 hours. I guess experiences vary. Longest was a generic map panel that required a redrawing...acknowledged within a day, replaced in 5 weeks.
Of course I would expect a longer response time for questions on designs from " out of house" designers.

Last edited:

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Dissimulate much?

Deconstruction time...

"Its obvious you haven't played Nordic Twilight."

Nor will I. As has been extensively documented by others, and by my own experience, your products, compared to the other Third Party Publishers, are of extremely low quality, and, for the money, deliver extremely bad value.

"You can use Desp.Morale for component listings, and figuring out which version is the newest..."

I do not need your permission to use Desperation Morale, nor do I need you to 'splain to me how to use Desperation Morale.

"but it's not a good source of play evaluations"

It is an outstanding source of play evaluations... everything said on Desperation Morale about every one of your products that I have wasted money and time on is highly accurate, except that Mr. Pitcavage is far too gentlemanly, generous and forgiving in his meticulous and precise evaluations of your low quality, bad value ASL products.

"...got in the way of his enjoying the modules." Ho ho ho... (too easy) what got in the way of Mr. Pitcavage enjoying his Critical Hit products is the same ol', same ol'... low quality, ramshackle ASL junk-products cobbled together and foisted off on the ASL community, a community which, for far too long, has been, and continues to be, far too credulous and accepting of your ASL-junk.

For the third time:

Do you own anything by Bounding Fire Productions? Have you played anything by Bounding Fire Productions?

Do you own anything by Le Franc Tireur? Have you played anything by Le Franc Tireur?

(... mucho bad humor in Ratt-HQ... "ach du lieber... wo ist mein Flunnkee-Brigaden?")
"you.....your"

Once again, I have no connection with CH other than being a mostly satisfied customer. I've gamed since 1970, my 4 current favorite systems are ASL, ATS, GWAS, and SWWAS.
The only contribution I have made to any of these systems was doing prepublication rules editing for 2nd edition SWWAS.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/ Tyrant's Lair -needs a little work but is still a blast to play
while a huge fan of the Berlin duo I thought his next design was even more impressive. Maxim Gorki much like Berlin took a unique battlefield setting and instead of books of pages of special rules managed to nail it in about 8 to 10 pages. On top of that, it is a complete blast to play. I thought actually it was his most impressive design, to say nothing of the brilliance of the headlining scenario in it which took CG's and 'last bid' type campaign scnearios and found a middle ground that took the best of both, and left behind the worst of both. Brilliant stuff man and perhaps the most fun I've ever had playing a single scenario.

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Over the past 3 years I've experienced responses within 2 to 72 hours. I guess experiences vary. Longest was a generic map panel that required a redrawing...acknowledged within a day, replaced in 5 weeks.
Of course I would expect a longer response time for questions on designs from " out of house" designers.
One thing I really like about MMP, SP, FrF, LFT, BFP, LCP is explicit design credits, so if I have the email of the designer I can contact directly; with decorum and respect of course.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
while a huge fan of the Berlin duo I thought his next design was even more impressive. Maxim Gorki much like Berlin took a unique battlefield setting and instead of books of pages of special rules managed to nail it in about 8 to 10 pages. On top of that, it is a complete blast to play. I thought actually it was his most impressive design, to say nothing of the brilliance of the headlining scenario in it which took CG's and 'last bid' type campaign scnearios and found a middle ground that took the best of both, and left behind the worst of both. Brilliant stuff man and perhaps the most fun I've ever had playing a single scenario.
I will have to put this on my playlist behind Hill of Blood, thanks for that.

My only point, of my posts, is that CH did/ does produce some good modules. Their business model sucks balls though.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Absolutely need to change how they describe items in their catalogue. They have more than 1030 items currently available, virtually all with no component description.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Kohima has been released. I saw the map and was not impressed. It has Kohima ridge covered in jungle...but photos show artillery had removed most of the jungle from the ridge. The LFT map is better.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Wow. That's very different than the map I did.
I've heard someone say that there is a SR which makes jungle treated as a level two orchard - but it is yet to be confirmed. Jungle on the ridge would make for a very different battle. The "treat jungle as orchard" SR makes it more playable.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The "treat jungle as orchard" SR makes it more playable.
The "other" map has a lot of Palm Tree Debris on top of the main hill. I'm not the designer, but the Debris does seem to fit better with the battlefield pictures I've seen.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The "other" map has a lot of Palm Tree Debris on top of the main hill. I'm not the designer, but the Debris does seem to fit better with the battlefield pictures I've seen.
I agree.....

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It is definitely there
It certainly is. I recall talking to Shaun about this. The tennis court woukd not be big enough forva singke hex yet you had both sides entrenched alongbtge base lines. This was a very close fought battle.