Kohima

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
The Leningrad stuff looks interesting but penal maps and over priced is a major turn off to purchasing CH stuff.
Gunner, I use lead sewing weights to secure the panels, and won't set up more than 6 at a time. I prefer 2-4 panel sized scenarios, which are quite common in ASL.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
really looking forward to the Leningrad duo. It is a Porterfield design and he has produced many a HASL classic so this one should be a killer, and the most encouraging part of it. CH finally after years of avoiding them decides to get back to doing CG's. That makes it a instant buy. Can't remember the last one they did, perhaps it was the Berlin monster V which of course was an independent fan driven design, or perhaps the one that came with Mamayev Kurgan.

as far as Kohima. I do recall a mention of a designer with it, a name I didn't recognize, so likely someone who just tired of waiting for the HOB one and decided to do one himself. Looking forward to that as well.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Steve Dethlefsen was the gent in charge of Kohima in HOB. Xavier Vitry at Le Franc Tireur has now taken the project up.
But I think that the project is not actively being worked on at LFT but rather went into hiatus.
Haven't LFT-people mentioned such somewhere around here lately?

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
But I think that the project is not actively being worked on at LFT but rather went into hiatus.
Haven't LFT-people mentioned such somewhere around here lately?

von Marwitz
That is what I recall reading here as well. Kohima is dead, Jim.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That is what I recall reading here as well. Kohima is dead, Jim.
Well, I wouldn't call it dead exactly.

Rather it is mummified for the time being. But you know, it is said that mummies can be raised under certain circumstances, causing quite some excitement in the event.

Time will tell.

von Marwitz

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is a Porterfield design and he has produced many a HASL classic
Name one "Porterfield... classic", please.

Preferably a so-called "Porterfield... classic" that someone, somewhere, has actually been able to play, not just buy, look at and put away somewhere.

Last edited:

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CH finally after years of avoiding them decides to get back to doing CG's. That makes it a instant buy..
"...makes it a instant buy..."?
Why? Because you say so?

Name one Critical Hit product that was an "instant buy", please.

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Name one "Porterfield classic", please.

Preferably a "Porterfield classic" that someone, somewhere, has actually been able to play, not just buy, look at and put away somewhere.
Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/ Tyrant's Lair -needs a little work but is still a blast to play

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/ Tyrant's Lair -needs a little work but is still a blast to play
Something with as many problems, out-of-the-box, as "Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/Tyrant's Lair" hardly merits the term "classic".

"Festung Budapest" (Multi-Man Publishing) was an instant ASL classic, delivering, out-of-the-box, top-notch ASL play.

"Kampfgruppe Scherer: Shield of Cholm" (Le Franc Tireur) was an instant ASL classic, delivering, out-of-the-box, top-notch ASL play.

Once again, Critical Hit relies on getting, and gets, the "everyone that participates is a winner" award...

And, dare I mention how expensive, in comparison to "Festung Budapest" and "Kampfgruppe Scherer: Shield of Cholm", "Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/Tyrant's Lair", is? Two extra countersets must be purchased, on top of the two map-panel-sets/countersets? And, the counters are so ugly, and badly cut, that the counter quality is laughable and pathetic.

So, can someone name one "Porterfield classic?"

Preferably a so-called "Porterfield... classic" that someone, somewhere, has actually been able to play, out-of-the-box, not just buy, look at and put away somewhere, or have to rework.

Last edited:

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nordic twilight
Hill of blood
The review of "Nordic Twilight" on the "Desperation Morale" website says otherwise.
And, here is a comment on "NT" from Desperation Morale:

"It’s often unclear in corresponding or speaking with Critical Hit whether they hate their customers or just questions from them. "

IMHO, it is both, so much so, that one begins to wonder at what point the appellation "sociopath" is appropriate.

Last edited:

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Mi80j
Its obvious you haven't played Nordic Twilight. You can use Desp.Morale for component listings, and figuring out which version is the newest, but it's not a good source of play evaluations, simply because the reviewer's dislike of CH pricing, use of overlapping map panels, production of replacement counters, and regular reissues of revised products got in the way of his enjoying the modules.
I find Desp Morale quite useful as a shopper's guide to CH products.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Something with as many problems, out-of-the-box, as "Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/Tyrant's Lair" hardly merits the term "classic".

"Festung Bupapest" (Multi-Man Publishing) was an instant ASL classic, delivering, out-of-the-box, top-notch ASL play.

"Kampfgruppe Scherer: Shield of Cholm" (Le Franc Tireur) was an instant ASL classic, delivering, out-of-the-box, top-notch ASL play.

Once again, Critical Hit relies on getting, and gets, the "everyone that participates is a winner" award...

And, dare I mention how expensive, in comparison to "Festung Budapest" and "Kampfgruppe Scherer: Shield of Cholm", "Berlin: Fall of the Third Reich/Tyrant's Lair", is? Two extra countersets must be purchased, on top of the two map-panel-sets/countersets? And, the counters are so ugly, and badly cut, that the counter quality is laughable and pathetic.

So, can someone name one "Porterfield classic?"

Preferably a so-called "Porterfield... classic" that someone, somewhere, has actually been able to play, out-of-the-box, not just buy, look at and put away somewhere, or have to rework.
It is not as bad as you are making it out to be. MMP is the standard. BFP & LFT are 2nd and a very close 3rd. No one has ever said that CH was at the top of the pack but not everything they made was junk, plain and simple. I know that you do not want to hear that but it is a fact.

As far as the counters, we are using only a few of the module specific counters as needed. BV/ RB/ VotG provide all that is needed but the counters that came with the modules are die cut acceptably and could definitely be used if that is all that I had. Not sure why you have to purchase 2 extra sets of counters to play.

The map sheets are of high quality. I do not have the map panels and would never buy them.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mi80j
Its obvious you haven't played Nordic Twilight. You can use Desp.Morale for component listings, and figuring out which version is the newest, but it's not a good source of play evaluations, simply because the reviewer's dislike of CH pricing, use of overlapping map panels, production of replacement counters, and regular reissues of revised products got in the way of his enjoying the modules.
I find Desp Morale quite useful as a shopper's guide to CH products.
Dissimulate much?

Deconstruction time...

"Its obvious you haven't played Nordic Twilight."

Nor will I. As has been extensively documented by others, and by my own experience, your products, compared to the other Third Party Publishers, are of extremely low quality, and, for the money, deliver extremely bad value.

"You can use Desp.Morale for component listings, and figuring out which version is the newest..."

I do not need your permission to use Desperation Morale, nor do I need you to 'splain to me how to use Desperation Morale.

"but it's not a good source of play evaluations"

It is an outstanding source of play evaluations... everything said on Desperation Morale about every one of your products that I have wasted money and time on is highly accurate, except that Mr. Pitcavage is far too gentlemanly, generous and forgiving in his meticulous and precise evaluations of your low quality, bad value ASL products.

"...got in the way of his enjoying the modules." Ho ho ho... (too easy) what got in the way of Mr. Pitcavage enjoying his Critical Hit products is the same ol', same ol'... low quality, ramshackle ASL junk-products cobbled together and foisted off on the ASL community, a community which, for far too long, has been, and continues to be, far too credulous and accepting of your ASL-junk.

For the third time:

Do you own anything by Bounding Fire Productions? Have you played anything by Bounding Fire Productions?

Do you own anything by Le Franc Tireur? Have you played anything by Le Franc Tireur?

(... mucho bad humor in Ratt-HQ... "ach du lieber... wo ist mein Flunnkee-Brigaden?")

Last edited:

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is not as bad as you are making it out to be. MMP is the standard. BFP & LFT are 2nd and a very close 3rd. No one has ever said that CH was at the top of the pack but not everything they made was junk, plain and simple. I know that you do not want to hear that but it is a fact.

As far as the counters, we are using only a few of the module specific counters as needed. BV/ RB/ VotG provide all that is needed but the counters that came with the modules are die cut acceptably and could definitely be used if that is all that I had. Not sure why you have to purchase 2 extra sets of counters to play.

The map sheets are of high quality. I do not have the map panels and would never buy them.
You quote my post, and then don't respond to it.

Unless you are a mind reader, you do not know, at all, what I want.

Show me one - ONE - Critical Hit product that is equivalent to a MMP, Bounding Fire Productions or Le Franc Tireur product.

Just one.

I apologize - that is too hard. Show me one Critical Hit product that comes close to a MMP, Bounding Fire Productions or Le Franc Tireur product.

Guess what - you cannot do it.

Last edited:

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
mi80j. You do realize your attitude is like being a member of a varsity football team and having 2 schools in your intramural league you refuse to play away games at. The only loss is yours.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Continued harassment, rather than constructive criticism will not be tolerated.
Your stuff is garbage.

For the fourth time:

Do you own anything by Bounding Fire Productions? Have you played anything by Bounding Fire Productions?

Do you own anything by Le Franc Tireur? Have you played anything by Le Franc Tireur?

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
Keep in mind this is the "unofficial game publisher support" page for ASL products released by Critical Hit. Sure don't hear much from you about those aspects of these releases you most enjoy, whether it be a particular design, a nationality set, the portrayal of attack helicopters, Viet Minh tactics, mustard gas along the trenches, or the expansion of HASL cartography.

larrymarak

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Country
llUnited States
There are certainly legitimate things to criticize about CH, as There are other publishers. Constructive criticism would include comparing retail prices within the catalogue...some products are remarkably inexpensive, some are ridiculously high priced. Call out examples of both types.
CH's catalogue is notoriously info free. Effective criticism would include doing what Mark Pitcavage does...incorporating a complete listing of components. If you find set-up errors identify them and present your solutions. These would be a way to present unofficial publisher support that is both critical and constructive and a service to the membership.

Last edited: