Da Paul Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Be careful when you are foraging on the Firth for winkles. Don't be greedy and take the really big one.

JR
Barf! I am allergic to those sea snails and they can stay in the sea!

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The M-1 combat car.
A M1 yes, but a M1A1 due to the flat sides on the octagonal turret, the M1 turret was "D" shaped with only the front being flat. The M2 Combat Car was a M1A1 with a new diesel engine and a trailing idler. Though the serial number led me to suspect a possible M2 and though the idler wheel is obscured, the lack of a third return roller and the shape of the track (too flat at the rear) ruled that out.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A M1 yes, but a M1A1 due to the flat sides on the octagonal turret, the M1 turret was "D" shaped with only the front being flat. The M2 Combat Car was a M1A1 with a new diesel engine and a trailing idler. Though the serial number led me to suspect a possible M2 and though the idler wheel is obscured, the lack of a third return roller and the shape of the track (too flat at the rear) ruled that out.
Ok, ok, ok...we give up...what don't you know?
Folks Aliens are among us... Or at least that is how I read it. But then again I have been wrong before...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Ok, ok, ok...we give up...what don't you know?
Folks Aliens are among us... Or at least that is how I read it. But then again I have been wrong before...
Don't worry if you don't know the difference, the interwar stuff is ... awkward ... for many reasons.
First is that much of it never saw action, so don't appear in WW2 photos and thus eventually books and magazines.
Secondly production runs were often quite low, the M1/M2 Combat Car had only about 140 produced.
Thirdly interwar armies tended to produce many one off trials vehicles and keep tinkering way beyond what they would do in wartime.
Fourthly some stuff got renamed to fit in later naming conventions. Eg the M1 & M2 Combat Cars got renamed to the M1 Light Tank series even though the M1/M2 Combat Car series was developed in parallel with the M2 at roughly the same time and rate. The M1 Light Tank designation was originally applied to a much earlier and totally unrelated trial series for a brief period before it was decided that the earlier M1 would not be standardised.

Maybe I am an alien, that really would explain a lot! :D A more prosaic reason is that I have a very, very childish curiosity and if I see some AFV then not only do I have to know it's name, function and country but also what was it developed from, if anything. I was always the really annoying Who, What, Why, Where, When, How child. So sad. :oops:

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I am an alien, that really would explain a lot! :D A more prosaic reason is that I have a very, very childish curiosity and if I see some AFV then not only do I have to know it's name, function and country but also what was it developed from, if anything. I was always the really annoying Who, What, Why, Where, When, How child. So sad. :oops:
I can only imagine the size and extent of your reference library.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can only imagine the size and extent of your reference library.
It is in his head...he memorized all this as a kid/young person from the public library books, and the odd book he was given or bought with saved lunch money.... now he just trots out these facts like a party trick...alien I tell you alien.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Renault R-35 hull (5 roadwheels) with a Soviet T-26 m1938/40 turret.

At first I wasn't sure whether it was a late BT-7 turret or a late T-26 turret but the relative position of the side vision slot and the almost vertical side front reinforcing/joining strip makes it a late T-26 turret. The T-26 m1933, BT-5 and early BT-7 turrets were indistinguishable, but the late T-26 and late BT-7, though were the same for practical purposes and had similar variants (rCMG or not, AAMMG or not), were constructed somewhat differently. Some sources use T-26 m1937 vs m1938 and m1939 vs m1940 as the Soviets didn't have rigid sub-model labels. The difference between a T-26 m1937/8 and a m1939/40 was that the hull side immediately below the turret was vertical in the m1937/8 (like the earlier m1931-m1935) but slightly sloped in the m1939/40, irrelevant in this case.

For that baby use the R-35 hull armour and 8 MP with a T-26 m37/39 turret armour and attributes {RST, 45L [1], -/4, CS3 (R)}, combined AF (4), (4).

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Paul, You need to do an armor version of the Wings series. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_(1988_TV_program)
Ha, Ha! Unfortunately I don't have the resources to do decent videos and definitely don't have the funds for the travel required to go to where the toys are. That's even ignoring as to whether I would make a good video commentator.

My forte is text, but even then, I recognise that if I were to write a book, it would almost certainly end up an inferior work to what is already out there. I have done no original research, either on the hardware or documents, I merely regurgitate what my betters have done. Apart from identifying the fairly obvious or familiar (Tiger I, T-34), the one thing I bring to GS is to be able to look at something and say "That might be X" or "That 'smells' French" and then google it based on hunches. I'm a sort of index of vaguely remembered images with a programmer/analyst's (my career) ability to deconstruct elements and note oddities or small features that can give me clues. After fifty years or so, I should have picked up some tricks. :p And I can decently translate to ASLese.

There are many very good videos on Youtube on armour, much better done than I could hope to do. Eg: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheChieftainWoT . You might not agree with the conclusions in all cases but you get to see the vehicles and many details that you would miss with still photography.

Another is https://www.youtube.com/user/lindybeige, who provides an educational and often quite entertaining look at warfare throughout the ages. Once you looked at a few from lindybeige and TheChieftain then Youtube will give you suggestions of other videos/collections.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul does have a self-admitted weakness in AFV design information. He's previously stated in this thread he has many gaps in world war I era armored car design identifications.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.... He's previously stated in this thread he has many gaps in world war I era armored car design identifications.
Oh, oh, oh, flog the man at noon tomorrow! He is not the alien I thought he was.... (see upstream if need be)
Like who here can name the spark-plug gap on a WWI AC....guess what, Paul can tell* us because he knows the thickness of a match book cover in England in 1914 and* in 1916 when it changed by .0001 inch. (For all of who do not know what a spark-ply gap is or how to set the gap...google same...and matchbook cover).
Please...just leave Weir and his cats alone...(they are not really cats btw they are like alien UAV that collect data outside Paul's "home" and feed it back to him)...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.