Long March errata

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At Origins this past weekend, two local players were setting up a Long March scenario and in the set up there seemed to be a mistake. They went on-line to look for errata but couldn't find any Long March errata anywhere. Has the known errata for this module been published yet?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Unfortunately, the potential errata they spotted was with another scenario--the setup instructions did not make sense as written and it seemed like the map needed to be reversed.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There was a discussion about something like that. I can't remember which, but the solution was to go by which end the board numbers went, though that did not match the mini board graphics.

Edit:
Was it LM 3?

Board 7 is shown correctly. Board 5 should have the 5 to the north as shown, but the graphic should be rotated 180.
The setup for the Red Army should read "...on/south of hexrow I on board 5 and hexrow Y on board 7 and east of the river."

Last edited:

jhaas614

Recruit
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help out Mark and Paul. The scenario in question was LM 4, and we were not sure about the set up instructions. I do not have the scenario card with me right now. But i hope at least the number helps out. Thanks again. john

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Seems fairly straight forward. The Red Army set up West of the 9 hexrow. The KMT enter from the West and have to exit off the East edge.

The unusual part is the the Red Army could set up on KMT entry board edge hexes. Whether that would be advisable is another matter. The Red Army is out numbered 25 to 16. The setup only restricts setup close to the KMT exit hexes.

Maybe the setup should have said East of hexrow 2. That would have been more in line with other scenario setups. I honestly don't know.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The setup makes no sense. You don't restrict setup on hexes close to the exit--there is no point in doing so. Something is backwards.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played the scenario yesterday. Initially I had the same conclusion that there must be something wrong with the Reds setup instruction. But I soldiered ahead and played it out (solo) with the Reds in a forward defense near the map edge but not right on it, to make it workable. What happened was interesting. As the KMT came on board (half in the advance phase) there were immediate numbers of broken KMT troops who had no place to route, but since they were next to Reds, they became prisoners instead of being eliminated. Eight prisoner counters were created which tied up the Reds as guards. Now, it is possible to abandon a prisoner (which the guards did so they could keep fighting), but the Prisoners then become Unarmed which are considered Good Order and thus count for exiting and scenario VC's. So overall it was sort of an interesting because of the large number of prisoners wandering around, though I doubt it was by design, and still think there is an errata problem.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D Myers

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm finding it difficult to see how the Reds can win LM14, Luting Bridge. Since minimum move is need to move onto each section of the bridge, one is marked both PIN and CX. So, no minimum move the next turn, and no Clearance DR possible this turn. With only six turns and four bridge segments, it is hard to see how anybody can get across in time to capture the two victory buildings. Maybe it was playtested with no PIN and CX, just hazardous movement?

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm finding it difficult to see how the Reds can win LM14, Luting Bridge. Since minimum move is need to move onto each section of the bridge, one is marked both PIN and CX. So, no minimum move the next turn, and no Clearance DR possible this turn. With only six turns and four bridge segments, it is hard to see how anybody can get across in time to capture the two victory buildings. Maybe it was playtested with no PIN and CX, just hazardous movement?
I'm having similar problem with LM 5 "Bridging the Wu". It is only a 7 turn game but the Red Army cannot complete it's bridge (if I understand the SSR correctly) until the end of Turn 5; and finally step onto the North Shore on Turn 6. Mind you this is if the Reds bridge the Wu at the shortest point (3 hexes) and are successful in laying down footbridges on the first Clearance attempt every time. A single missed Clearance roll would mean they could not step onto the North shore until the final turn of the game.

The more I analyze this scenario pack, the more "buggy" it appears.

LM 3, 8, 9 & 14 all seem to have problems with no official errata.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm having similar problem with LM 5 "Bridging the Wu". It is only a 7 turn game but the Red Army cannot complete it's bridge (if I understand the SSR correctly) until the end of Turn 5; and finally step onto the North Shore on Turn 6. Mind you this is if the Reds bridge the Wu at the shortest point (3 hexes) and are successful in laying down footbridges on the first Clearance attempt every time. A single missed Clearance roll would mean they could not step onto the North shore until the final turn of the game.
The Red Army can roll for a bridge starting on KMT player turn one. If they are successful on turns one, two and three, they would be able to cross starting on Red Army turn four.

JR

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Red Army can roll for a bridge starting on KMT player turn one. If they are successful on turns one, two and three, they would be able to cross starting on Red Army turn four.

JR
Ok re-reading the SSR I'm with you JRV; I missed the part that the Red Army Engineers are building the bridges during the KMT player turns - going TI during the opponent's turn. So during the Red Army turn the engineers can move/advance onto the newly placed bridge counter and start the process to build hex #2 during the next KMT player turn.

I originally read it as the Red Engineers built the bridge during their own player turn, they would then have to spend the next Red turn moving onto the bridge, and couldn't build bridge hex #2 until their next turn (i.e. Red turn 3) and so on.

That SSR runs counter intuitive to me, because the Engineers are going TI during the opposing player turn, and producing a result at the end of the opposing player's CC Phase.

So I stand corrected, the Wu can be bridged. LM 3 & 9 still have problems though.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Ok re-reading the SSR I'm with you JRV; I missed the part that the Red Army Engineers are building the bridges during the KMT player turns - going TI during the opponent's turn. So during the Red Army turn the engineers can move/advance onto the newly placed bridge counter and start the process to build hex #2 during the next KMT player turn.

I originally read it as the Red Engineers built the bridge during their own player turn, they would then have to spend the next Red turn moving onto the bridge, and couldn't build bridge hex #2 until their next turn (i.e. Red turn 3) and so on.

That SSR runs counter intuitive to me, because the Engineers are going TI during the opposing player turn, and producing a result at the end of the opposing player's CC Phase.
Correct, there are many SSR, as that's what they are...special, which circumvent the normal rules.... I think players are conditioned by the Dry, "1/2 MP on turn one" type restrictions instead of TRUE SSR that actually take some imagination. This type of SSR allows this type of action to be conducted during a normal game instead of over 3 days in a CG type setting.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The SSR for bridge building is actually the WAY it should be, to allow more "sensible" usage of these.

Also, there is a powerful force at the base of the hill that should advance up into the hill area.
Commisar, hero, Bigtime leader....EASY advance under almost any fire.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The setup makes no sense. You don't restrict setup on hexes close to the exit--there is no point in doing so. Something is backwards.
You are likely not going to setup on the exit hexes.
The setup restrictions in this one really don't matter too much. Although you DO get the Benefit of WA in the farmhouse area.
Travelling from 10-1 hexrows is far more treacherous initially yet the exit hexes once a path is secured is a done deal.
AS the scenario is written, ALL of the exit hexes can be fired upon from almost any 6 hex range near the edge....
I honestly think the REDS need to entrench to GAIN TEM to stay alive...and put down Res.
I completed 3 HW's and still was close to get off.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I'm finding it difficult to see how the Reds can win LM14, Luting Bridge. Since minimum move is need to move onto each section of the bridge, one is marked both PIN and CX. So, no minimum move the next turn, and no Clearance DR possible this turn. With only six turns and four bridge segments, it is hard to see how anybody can get across in time to capture the two victory buildings.
Do you know the procedure for Clearance rules?
They differ per item you are attempting to clear in the frequency.
I would treat the Bridge as a "ROADBLOCK" as your movement is curtailed. It would be thematic and this is the only ERRATA needed as clearance is different per type of obstacle. AND logical based on the turn length.
You can MIN MOVE every turn AND you Start on the 3rd bridge location.

This is the Beginning of the GAME .
Move the K8 units (9-2) forward as well as everyone else.
During TURN 1 DFph begin CLEARANCE. You can't shoot anyway.
Lead units (being CX) will need an 8, 10, 11 in succession. That would be the end of TURN 2.
Other units would need a 6,8,9 at the END of TURN 2
If you fail on your turn, you will be delayed....but on ENEMY TURN at least you get to move forward.

You use the 9-2 for that LEAD clearance...and the COMMISSAR to give ML. Units on the bridge DO NOT BREAK. Use units with the 8-0 to replace losses.
once bridge is completed the 10-0 9-2 combo will kill everything.
NOTE: if units in the back complete, and the 9-2 somehow doesn't , AT LEAST they can fire now.
IF they fail they get Labor.