Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Yes, I see that once again 'logic' has foiled me. Bombardment is so precise that only a hex with a unit or building is subject to it. Lucky for the deer and squirrels.
You can think of it two ways. It may represent a semi-scouted bombardment, or it may be for better game play. I think it's pretty likely the latter. It's pretty tedious to roll all those empty hexes.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Start of German turn 5
I'm taking it that the AT Guns are still hooked up to their vehicles. I have never seen anyone not align the gun's CA with the rear of the vehicle (as most guns would be in reality), but it doesn't look like it is required by the rules, so there you go. I don't think it has any rules impact. You do seem to have the towing vehicles pointed in odd directions, as best I can tell from your picture.

JR

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm taking it that the AT Guns are still hooked up to their vehicles. I have never seen anyone not align the gun's CA with the rear of the vehicle (as most guns would be in reality), but it doesn't look like it is required by the rules, so there you go. I don't think it has any rules impact. You do seem to have the towing vehicles pointed in odd directions, as best I can tell from your picture.

JR
Yes, they are still hooked in that photo. The vehicles are pointed the right way. Just a coincidence they are all facing backward.

Starting Russian turn 6, AT's unhooked, two of the crews broken but the other two are doing a number with rate. Sniper is also taking a toll

1543720810988.png

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yes, I see that once again 'logic' has foiled me. Bombardment is so precise that only a hex with a unit or building is subject to it. Lucky for the deer and squirrels.
Then watch out for Canister hitting only the enemy and not your units in the LOF. It can even discern to avoid your units that might be in CC with the enemy. Probably, it was only the enemy units turning the back at you while yours in CC were confronting the enemy looking right at his face... ;)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[I would also add your counters are all of the same issue and possibly have that dull coat applied?]
Yes - I give each counter sheet two coats of matte finish clear before I punch them out and clip them. Almost all of the counters are from BV 3e, except I have 2 extra sniper counters - one from PB and the other I'm not so sure about.

Alan

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes - I give each counter sheet two coats of matte finish clear before I punch them out and clip them. Almost all of the counters are from BV 3e, except I have 2 extra sniper counters - one from PB and the other I'm not so sure about.

Alan
Impressive. I wonder if von M might not feel a little jealous...doubtless we shall find out...but best not upset him, he might smash a bottle of fine wine in a fit of pique.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hi-

Off the ASL Open list I have set up frf wrecking the rentals for a ftf game today. As with most FrF scenarios, this one has both a micro managing and odd set ups for bothsides. An odd VC, not overly complicated but a real pain to deal with. Basically you really need to pay attention to your set up restrictions and to me, that really makes the scenario unfun to play. But who cares right? As long as it is balanced, that is all that matters. wrecking the rentals.jpg

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Today I selected all boards and counters we will need for our Death To Fascism - 2 playtesting getaway - Chris Mazzei is coming over to Canada again in early January for 3 days of Snowed In Cottage ASL playtesting goodness.....

We will playtest the crap out of 3 new scenarios for the second Pack......including the Winter War scenario we first tried out at ASLOK on the last Sunday. Super excited !

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hi-

Off the ASL Open list I have set up frf wrecking the rentals for a ftf game today. As with most FrF scenarios, this one has both a micro managing and odd set ups for bothsides. An odd VC, not overly complicated but a real pain to deal with. Basically you really need to pay attention to your set up restrictions and to me, that really makes the scenario unfun to play. But who cares right? As long as it is balanced, that is all that matters. View attachment 6347
I really like the map configuration for this scenario ! Thanks for sharing the picture !

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
We will playtest the crap out of 3 new scenarios for the second Pack......including the Winter War scenario we first tried out at ASLOK on the last Sunday. Super excited !
We expect from you that you playtest the scenario under tournament conditions: I.e. at least half drunk from the night before and without sleep for two days. :D

von Marwitz

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We expect from you that you playtest the scenario under tournament conditions: I.e. at least half drunk from the night before and without sleep for two days. :D

von Marwitz
Sleep is pretty limited during our playtest getaways....however without any sense of competition, playing against my best friend, it is certainly almost stress-free.

Our design process involves continuous playtesting between the two of us, making multiple changes every time between sessions. Once we settle on the next version's changes, we switch sides and simply play again - making sure we try "different things" from what we have already seen before. This way, we multiply our playtest quality greatly.

A bit of coffee, some beer and liquor will keep us going.....but this is just about as much fun as you can have during three days of ASL. A Mini-CG is great, but it still lacks the truly creative element of complex puzzle-making.