Swedish Friendly Fire AAR Sep 2018 (the overview / information)

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Are the scenarios for the Swedish tournament always playtests for Friendly Fire given to players when they arrive at the tournament or are they given to players in advance?
Matt. There are two tournaments where the scenarios are used - Stockholm and Friendly Fire. As the scenarios are used in Stockholm in May they have been available to players in playtest form up to the Friendly Fire tournament in September. After Friendly Fire they are final.

I do not know if players receive the scenarios prior to the Stockholm tournament.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Just to clarify one thing (in case someone thought otherwise) - the scenarios have been play tested (proofed) prior to the tournament. The tournament is mostly just applying the "finishing touch".

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Matt. There are two tournaments where the scenarios are used - Stockholm and Friendly Fire. As the scenarios are used in Stockholm in May they have been available to players in playtest form up to the Friendly Fire tournament in September. After Friendly Fire they are final.
IIRC, not all of the FrF scenarios are played in Stockholm. Stockholm usually has a theme (e.g., East Front 1944), so not all FrF will fit that.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Those attending Stockholm have an edge as they know at least some scenarios months in advance compared to those attending solely the Friendly Fire event. It's a recent development. Before only truly new scenarios were featured at the Friendly Fire event.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to clarify one thing (in case someone thought otherwise) - the scenarios have been play tested (proofed) prior to the tournament. The tournament is mostly just applying the "finishing touch".
I would assume that anyone that "proofed" the scenarios are ineligible to select that scenario during the tournament?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I would assume that anyone that "proofed" the scenarios are ineligible to select that scenario during the tournament?
I do not think so - would be tough on those that have proofed all of them. :) I usually do that, but I have not participated in the tournament for a couple of years.

Although editing/proofing (only) a scenario might not give one that much of an edge - I think one probably needs to play it - I know I would have to.

Also, anyone who attends can get PDF copies in advance, IIRC, if they want to prepare a little.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think Francois mixed things up here...Melvin was playing his fellow countryman Christoffer in the final at GRENADIER 2011. I don´t know anything about removing some squads from his OB. It doesn´t matters anyway since it was clear right from the start that Christoffer was going to win the tournament. So he did.
Francois has emailed me to say that he was not there but heard it from another player. He has very kindly emailed the person concerned - there will be more of a delay........

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think Francois mixed things up here...Melvin was playing his fellow countryman Christoffer in the final at GRENADIER 2011. I don´t know anything about removing some squads from his OB. It doesn´t matters anyway since it was clear right from the start that Christoffer was going to win the tournament. So he did.
Francois has very kindly emailed me and this was his reply:

"No idea of the year but it was in Copenhagen, probably (not sure) on FrF32 The Helenic Expedition. Not sure also it was a final. Sorry for the lot of "not sure" , it seems I've modified the story ?!"

That makes sense - Melvin knows the Friendly Fire scenarios like the back of his hands - but being a playtester of these he would have modified it before release if it was unbalanced? More questions.......maybe he looked at his opponent and thought "this bloke needs help".

I'll drop Melvin a line............there will be more of a delay :)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Ah "the Hellenic Expedition" :facepalm:, I remember at least the scenario. That year some Swedes (basically all Mel's buddies) showed up with the same killer setup and they proudly trounced their respective (mostly non-Swede) opponents using it. I was among the casualties. Essentially we went Greek against our will :eek:

To answer Joe's remark, yes of course relief (a calculated one) is conditional on the victim's profile being "suitable". I don't remember having benefited from such liberalities (nor do i expect/ask them it must be said) :)

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

"No idea of the year but it was in Copenhagen, probably (not sure) on FrF32 The Helenic Expedition. Not sure also it was a final. Sorry for the lot of "not sure" , it seems I've modified the story ?!"

That makes sense - Melvin knows the Friendly Fire scenarios like the back of his hands - but being a playtester of these he would have modified it before release if it was unbalanced? More questions.......maybe he looked at his opponent and thought "this bloke needs help".

IIRC it was 2009 and i was there. And iirc again Melvin canceled 5 Squads from his OB and... won the Scenario. His Opponent was not amused :wtf:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
IIRC it was 2009 and i was there. And iirc again Melvin canceled 5 Squads from his OB and... won the Scenario. His Opponent was not amused :wtf:
Removing 5 squads from either side in that scenario and winning is quite something......

If I sat down across from Melvin I would be:

- pleased to be playing a great player like him. Hopefully I would learn something.
- if he gave me 5 squads I'd say "thank you" and any chance of any more please? I need all the help I can get.........
- when I lost I'd shake his hand and say thank you for the game.

Why get upset?

I'll delete Francois' story - Melvin has not yet replied and it seems that it is far enough in the past that peoples' memories may not be accurate.............

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I offered my opponent 6 extra British squad and a 7-0 British Leader, he declined the offer and only added 5 addional 4-5-7 squads and the leader.

See link from 2009
http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/asl-scandinavian-open-2009-scenario-list.80476/page-6

Have done this many times (30+times) throughput the years about once a year, last time in November in the tournament I was about to play Texas T-Patchers and offered to remove a German 4-6-7 squad and a LMG. My opponent accepted the offer.

I like to challenge myself and if I think I got the favoured side I try to balance it up before play. If I play the non-favoured side I see it as a challange and hope my opponent do mistakes , lol.

best regards
/Melvin

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Sure he was amused, see link provided instead of making things up.

It doesn´t matters anyway since it was clear right from the start that Christoffer was going to win the tournament. So he did.
Do not know why you make things up,
what happened is that we played FrF 52 Dying For Danzig in the final, and played a tight and very friendly game and on the last DR Christoffer had to roll a DR of 6 or less to win.

Last edited:

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Ah "the Hellenic Expedition" :facepalm:, I remember at least the scenario. That year some Swedes (basically all Mel's buddies) showed up with the same killer setup and they proudly trounced their respective (mostly non-Swede) opponents using it. I was among the casualties. Essentially we went Greek against our will :eek:
Killer setup ? lol

Mattiad Rönnblom the designer of scenario had this to say:
Two VC-critical multihex stone buildings surrounded by two-three boulevard air field hexes in all directions... I'm sorry, but I don't see how you could not consider a backward defense.

Those attending Stockholm have an edge as they know at least some scenarios months in advance compared to those attending solely the Friendly Fire event. It's a recent development. Before only truly new scenarios were featured at the Friendly Fire event.
No you are wrong, how do you obtain your information?

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Melvin calm down... As i wrote iirc. Obviously i didn´t. It was not my intention "to make things up".
And here the story ends for me.

regards

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Melvin calm down... As i wrote iirc. Obviously i didn´t. It was not my intention "to make things up".
And here the story ends for me.

regards
Michael are you upset? If you remember correctly??? then it was obvious that Chtistoffer would win the tournament, how did you made that conclusion?
If you remember correctly??? his opponent was not amused??? Sounds more like a guesswork from your side nothing like - If I Remember Correctly.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland

I do not know all 100 FrF scenarios as the back of my hand. Have only playtested about 50 of them, and about 10 of them I have never played and about 20+ of them I have only played once.

FrF32 Hellenic Expedicence I was never a playtest of the scenario, but did raise my concern to Mattias a couple of days before the Tournament but was ignored, maybe his playtesters granted the designer to much responsibility for any shortcomings it might reveal in the future. lol