Objective Schmidt on VASL?

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback.

Rick, yes it applies to MMP. Got burned on KWASL and no VASL.
I’m not sure why the VASL development is volunteer vice compensated, I’m sure there’s a reason and it might even be a good one.

A finished ASL product in today’s world needs to be VASL accessible at release in my opinion. The virtual map & counters are as important as the physical copy.

R/Jeff

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If the VASLization process is out of your control then I believe you need to take control since VASL is now the primary means that many use for playing ASL. Consider it an integral part of your products release rather than some special addon that some random volunteer might cobble together at some dim time in the future.

Six months ago the boards were done and all that was needed was for the counter images to be placed within the MDX file. This is not a huge undertaking. It's great that players volunteer to do this work but if the work simply isn't getting done then somebody else needs to take over.

I'm disappointed because Schmidt has just been sitting unused since I bought it seven months ago. Like Jeff Waldon above I won't buy future BFP products until the vassal module is updated to include the new product.
You could always volunteer to help. Maybe you would rather play ASL than help make it available. The elves often feel like this too but the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the feedback.

Rick, yes it applies to MMP. Got burned on KWASL and no VASL.
I’m not sure why the VASL development is volunteer vice compensated, I’m sure there’s a reason and it might even be a good one.

A finished ASL product in today’s world needs to be VASL accessible at release in my opinion. The virtual map & counters are as important as the physical copy.

R/Jeff
It's volunteer because MMP turns a blind eye towards it out of necessity. If they didn't, they would likely be compelled to enforce their copyright and shut it all down. The second someone starts making money off it, it would become more likely they would have to do that. The same applies to most EVERY other game done in VASSAL. -- jim

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Finally, I hope I don’t sound preachy or derogatory in any way. I know you guys understand the time constraints on your VASL volunteers. I also know how much you’d like to have it in your hands. I would too.
VASL work is even more thankless than play testing or proof reading. Even when you've done you're level best, people always complain about the .01% you got wrong rather than focus on the 99.99% you got right. -- jim

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am interested in volunteering to help. I have no experience with creating modules in Vassal or VASL, but I’d like to learn. Please contact me so I can get started. Thanks.
PM sent. Glad to have your interest.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
VASL work is even more thankless than play testing or proof reading. Even when you've done you're level best, people always complain about the .01% you got wrong rather than focus on the 99.99% you got right. -- jim
Amen. Not to whine but this is the worst part of working on VASL. At least for me.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
We support VASL 100%, but some things are simply out of our control when it comes to the VASLization process. You can ask BigAl how long the VASL gnomes and elves have had our stuff in hand. But yeah, it's been since at least January of this year. I would ask you if you also take that approach with MMP products as well(e.g. Hatten in Flames)? I do ping every once in a while to ask on status, and while I've seen some email flurry going around on it, these guys in the end ARE volunteers so while we can try and cajole, it is only going to come out given the cycles they can put into it.
I know I am just Jonesing to play the CG which is too large for my table, not to mention my main ASL opponent is 250 miles away:D

Looking forward to Hatten as well.........

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
My sincere apologies guys.

Work on OS progressed steadily until about 3 months ago. Then life stuff happened. Funny thing with life stuff you always think it will be temporary and won’t impact you as much as it does. Then it lingers. And lingers and lingers. So I never expected OS to be delayed as long as it has.

I owed you guys an update well before now and for that, I do apologize.

Korea has stalled too for the same reasons.

I’m optimistic that work on both will resume in the fall. OS is pretty close. Still tons of work to do on Korea. Haven’t even started HiF. Don’t even have my copy yet but it appears there are no special HiF counters. That’s a big time saver but there are reasons you shouldn’t expect HiF for about 6 months.

None of the VASL work completed so far is proprietary for the current VASL volunteers. If anyone wanted to take over one of these projects, they are welcome to. I’ll assist you in any way I can.

And I’ll give a shout out to Rick. Rick is a great supporter of VASL. He immensely simplified the conversion process for OS. Did the same for PiF too. The OS delay is no way due to him.

Finally, I hope I don’t sound preachy or derogatory in any way. I know you guys understand the time constraints on your VASL volunteers. I also know how much you’d like to have it in your hands. I would too.

Allan

There is no need to apologize....... we are just addicts........

I thank you for the work!

If I did not do IT work all days, I'd help, but by the end of the day, I am done with computers except for hobbies.

Peace

Roger

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any new updates on this? I understand other aspects of life are more important. I am just looking for an update on a possible release date.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Any new updates on this? I understand other aspects of life are more important. I am just looking for an update on a possible release date.
Don’t mind these update requests at all. I’ll check with the converterer and post here with the reply.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the ping. Nothing new to report. The elf working this has a couple of other VASL projects in works before it. And there have been some real life issues too I believe. Maps are done. Counters are done. Updating the extension is in progress.

Thanks for being patient everyone.

Al

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OS and Corregidor VASL maps are available on the BFP Support Page!
Great News and thanks to all the guys who work on it ??

Schrap
Just be aware that the BFP.vmdx updates incorporating Schmidt is still outstanding. A Corrs vmdx file is available separately (and also available in the Support page) in the meantime so you can play Corrs scenarios on VASL leveraging the older BFP vmdx file.

Schrapnellls

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Just be aware that the BFP.vmdx updates incorporating Schmidt is still outstanding. A Corrs vmdx file is available separately (and also available in the Support page) in the meantime so you can play Corrs scenarios on VASL leveraging the older BFP vmdx file.
OK, Thx for the tips :)

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amen. Not to whine but this is the worst part of working on VASL. At least for me.
Sully, ya got my thanks bro. I offered to help do an overlay once. Big Al walked me through it and I gotta say, it gave me increased appreciation for watching grass grow. God bless you guys, and thanks.