Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Norton flags it and deletes it as it is being downloaded on my system. Don't even get a chance to tell Norton that it is okay.

Lawrence3106
If Norton nobbles a file on download but you are sure is OK:

Start Norton's interface.
Go into History, select "Resolved Security Risks" from the category field, scroll down to the "episode" (you will have a rough idea of the time), select that item.
On the RHS of the panel it will give some outline details and on the bottom RHS click "More Options"
That will bring up a new panel that has "Restore" along the bottom.
Click on the "Restore" and that should bring back the file into the location you attempted to download into.

Of course Norton will try to kill that during a future scan but you should be able to have it excluded. Sorry, but it's a long, long time since I had to do that last bit, so I'm a little hazy.

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It moved Generic IDP to quarantine. Is there such a file in there or is AVG acting up?

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
A maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Country
llAustralia

BruceC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks and sorry to have made any trouble. I will take a shot at this later today.

Lawrence3106

average gamer
Reaction score
First name
Lawrence
Country
llUnited States
Good grief :mad: Thanks for letting us know, I'll try to find a mitigation for the next release (in a few days).

For now, most A/V programs have a switch that lets you temporarily turn them off, so you can do that to at least be able to download the file, then you can whitelist it.
BTW, which file was it complaining about?
The file was Vasl-Template.exe Also thanks to Paul Weir for the hint in Norton. I think that I was able to restore and exclude it.

Lawrence

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Version 0.2 has been released here.

As promised, vehicle/ordnance data has been added for the British and Americans, but also the Italians, Japanese, Chinese and French. Once I got over the hump (the British and Americans :mad:), things started importing much more easily. Allied and Axis Minor powers and the Finnish are up next, and then I can get back to adding some actual features... :rolleyes:

NOTE: There is a known issue, if you use a vehicle/ordnance that has multiple instances of the same name (e.g. the American M3A1, which can be a LT, ht or SC), you might get the wrong one when you reload the scenario.

Last edited:

peterd1973

Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llUnited States
Looks great, any plans on adding a turn record chart with attacker, defender, and starting player?

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Looks great, any plans on adding a turn record chart with attacker, defender, and starting player?
Not sure what you're looking for, but it's completely customizable, and you can create your own templates.

Although it occurs to me that something like this would require the ability to add a new template, not just modify an existing one. There are ways to work around that for now, but I'll add that to the to-do list...

Last edited:

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Has the whole thing been created using HTML?

You can create ad-hoc labels in the Notes tab (bottom-left corner) of the Scenario page. If you adopted the convention that Player 1 sets up first, Player 2 moves first, then you could create a template that generates this, and automatically updates the "XXX Sets Up First" and "XXX Moves First" bits. The "Only one Player Turn..." bit is specific to this particular scenario, so it wouldn't need to be templated, just create another ad-hoc label for it and bung it on the board somewhere.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Version 0.3 has been released here.

Vehicle/ordnance data has been added for the Finns, Allied and Axis minor powers, and Landing Craft. This completes that bit of work (thank God!) and everything in Chapter H is now available.

The main feature in this release is the ability to show VASL counter images in the UI:
ob_vehicles.png
Check the release notes for details on how to set this up. It took a huge amount of mind-numbingly boring work matching up Chapter H vehicles/ordnance with their corresponding counters in VASL, but the results are pretty cool, and the program looks way nicer now :jig:

You can also include these images in the snippets you copy and paste into the VASL scenario (although you must ensure that the program is running every time you load the scenario in VASL).

The problem I mentioned earlier about the program getting confused about vehicles/ordnance that have same name has also been fixed.

Have fun, I'm off to the pub...

ramzon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just downloaded the program and getting this error trying to set up counter images in UI. I am running VASL 6.4.3.

1540429372862.png

ramzon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's weird, I'll take a look at it.

In the meantime, download v6.4.2 and point the program at it. You don't need to use it when you run VASL, just configure it into this program.
It works using v6.4.2. Thank you.

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Version 0.4 has been released here.

The main new features are:
  • you can now edit a vehicle/ordnance's capabilities (e.g. because of an SSR)
  • extra templates are available to generate ad-hoc snippets (e.g. to track how many PF shots you have left, or if you want a custom turn track).
There are also a bunch of UI changes that make the program much nicer to use, and a fix for the VASL 6.4.3 problem reported above.

Kaiax33

Reaction score
First name
Kai
Country
llUnited States
Typically you can contact the AV vendor and have them whitelist the application, by sending them a copy. I did that with VASSAL for Symantec.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow.

Thanks for this. Probably shines for PBEM type games where you need to refresh the SSR's and such into human memory, but it looks like it will work well for me. No quibbles installing other than a standard one-time warning from MSFT.

ramzon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So here is my first try at using program. I did a set up for my first scenario I ever designed. I found the program really easy to use and a great asset. The one issue I did encounter is when I added in the date of the scenario the snippet used the day before date - ex. scenario is June 11, 1940 and the snippet had June 10, 1940 when pasting onto label... strange. Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Brasche template.png

Pacman Ghost

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Cool, glad you're finding it useful.

It looks like you're using the latest version (0.4), which includes a fix for the date issue you reported. The problem was that the date picker was adjusting for the local time zone when figuring out the date :-/ What time zone are you in?

Did you maybe start working on this scenario with an earlier version? I see that some of your labels have flags, but the "French Vehicles" one doesn't, so I'm guessing that it was created with an earlier version. Try copying the scenario details again from v0.4...

ramzon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cool, glad you're finding it useful.

It looks like you're using the latest version (0.4), which includes a fix for the date issue you reported. The problem was that the date picker was adjusting for the local time zone when figuring out the date :-/ What time zone are you in?

Did you maybe start working on this scenario with an earlier version? I see that some of your labels have flags, but the "French Vehicles" one doesn't, so I'm guessing that it was created with an earlier version. Try copying the scenario details again from v0.4...
This was all created with using the latest version (0.4). I turned flags on after and re did all snippets except the Vehicles will do that again. As for the date, I am in the EST timezone. I love the program i is great!!