So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played another DTF scenario called Death to Fascism with my Axis dudes winning handily by turn 6. My Axis dudes hunkered around the Board 17Z village, so it took the poor Russians three turns to reach and engage my Axis guys for the victory buildings. If you play this as the Russians, remember the Romanians get PF capability and since they are Elite, the full squad can check for PF's with a -1 on the dr. My opponent forgot and it costed him a T-34. I had my 76 ART piece covering my right flank and used the trenches to cover road crossings, so when ever the Russian armor had to cross a trench, that forced them to take a bog check along with soft ground mods. The Wire I used to cover my right flank. The game went to turn 6 with the Russians falling short 3 buildings, my opponent thought about using his Armor to freeze up Axis nests of resistance but the fear of losing armor and increasing the VC number to take more building put him off from using such tactics. I kept my Stugs safe and in the corner of the map away from his tanks so as not to give him a chance to reduce his building VC number. A good generic action and one where I think the Russian can win by being aggressive with their armor because once the Romanians are frozen or have a burning wreck in their hex, it will make it easier for the Russians to take most of the buildings they might need.

Scott

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cocktails For Molotov FrF 27 Poland '39, Tank heavy Soviet force must take a building against all infantry Polish Border Guards and local Citizens. In the city. The Soviets swarmed in on the west side. I got very lucky with the first Polish reinforcement dr, getting a hero with a DC, which I put in a sewer location next to a GAZ-MM, with 2 Soviet squads aboard. He emerged successfully, withstood fire, and threw the DC, destroying the truck, both squads, and himself. The Poles got cut up trying to fall back across the roads, but the MOL were very effective, as the Sovs were even more infantry poor now. The Soviets made a valiant attempt at the HQ building, 51M2, but were too outnumbered in the end. Polish Victory. Very Interesting.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Cocktails For Molotov FrF 27 Poland '39, Tank heavy Soviet force must take a building against all infantry Polish Border Guards and local Citizens. In the city. The Soviets swarmed in on the west side. I got very lucky with the first Polish reinforcement dr, getting a hero with a DC, which I put in a sewer location next to a GAZ-MM, with 2 Soviet squads aboard. He emerged successfully, withstood fire, and threw the DC, destroying the truck, both squads, and himself. The Poles got cut up trying to fall back across the roads, but the MOL were very effective, as the Sovs were even more infantry poor now. The Soviets made a valiant attempt at the HQ building, 51M2, but were too outnumbered in the end. Polish Victory. Very Interesting.
I played this twice and liked it both times losing once as each side. Trick is to get the Poles back into the buildings needed to be held while attempting to kill off some of the Soviet truck bound (at least at first) infantry. My recent game this year at the Texas Team Tournament was very close.

STAVKA

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My playtest of the scenario, several times, both regular testing and solo-testing was like solving a hard Soduko puzzle, before I decided what would hopefully make it to a balanced game.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is interesting, because both sides lack the firepower to do much damage to each other in stone buildings. (Especially if the Poles sulk.). Then again, the BTs can get around, and fire on the Poles when they sulk or try to fall back.

Which is what happened to my 8-1, 4-5-7, MMG combo...

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Bruno L'Archeveque and I played J123 CHARGING CAUMONT by VASL. My American attack came from two directions. The German infantry had bad luck retreating so the Americans had an stronger force than the Germans around the victory building after three turns. It took another turn to break the remaining German infantry. The mud was a factor in our match.

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
I rolled so good as the Japanese Defender in 149 Grabbing Gavutu, it wasn't even funny. I sunk 3 or 4 LCs with my INF gun (surprisingly powerful!), and when the Americans landed, I threw my two DCs at them and completely obliterated two complete stacks (and didn't even lose the squads doing the throwing). And my sniper got two or three leaders. My opponent gave up when all that was left from his first two waves was a halfsquad on the beach and a squad or two in the water off the coast, and the only casualties I had suffered were a few striped squads caused by the air attacks.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
How did it go Jackson?
The sniper didn't do any real damage. It was pretty much a chess game. I lucked out when I took the reinforcing pioneers up the middle straight to the tip of the wall where the storage tanks were. The FT HS was shot (no surprise) but the rest of the team scrambled over. The group caught the Russians who were in the process of going after the buildings cross the gully. Russian conceded after PREP FIRE in the last turn. A real interesting scenario in a tight place.

DB132 One Last Victory next (we are counting down)

commissarmatt

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played "Liehr Launches First" against Sam Tyson last week. We diced for sides, and I got the American defenders. I set up the HIP Wolverines one on each flank. I might have been influenced by my previous Hatten game, where Dave Reinking sent a bunch of flankers around the side, and I was hoping they'd be able to at least kill the Mark IVs. Otherwise the plan was just for a pretty standard slow fallback defense of the buildings. Sam made great use of smoke initially and got troops up close and personal right away. My initial shots couldn't harm anyone. I made liberal use of voluntary breaks to avoid close combat throughout the scenario, and just try to slowly fall back in the buildings. It mostly worked pretty well. Each Wolverine did indeed wind up killing a Mark IV eventually. One even managed to get a side shot at a Panther that was in bypass of a building, but it needed a 4 or 5 to hit, and of course missed. Eventually I sent a Hellcat on a wild ride to get a bounding shot on one of his Panthers, but he astutely kicked into motion. Then he brought it forth straight on against my other Hellcat, which turned and fired, missed APCR, missed, and then finally intensive fired at close range and got lucky with a low kill roll on a turret hit, snakes to brew it up. I think that was part of a fire phase wherein I rolled 3 snakes on shots. He eventually killed that Hellcat and the other, winning that VP for more mobile tanks. But the infantry battle was going too slow for the Germans and it looked like I had things locked down pretty well nearing game end. In general the voluntary breaking and routing worked pretty well because the troops rallied well. But on the last turn they did not, and even though it looked like it the defense was solid, the against-the-odds blitz by the Germans coincided with a decided cold streak with my dice, and the Germans actually had a chance at grabbing enough buildings, but on one of the last shots, a 12 down 2 I think, his leader and squad or two broke next to one of the buildings he'd need to get. Overall it was a relatively comfortable American win with a bit of a scare at the end, but it didn't feel very comfortable during the game. I think we both played a good but not perfect game, so it essentially came down to getting good dice at the right times.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played HG-5 Tanks Take Rook a while ago. I won as the Germans surprisingly easily. The New Zelanders split their forces into three groups. One to hold the village, one in the castle, and one in the large forest to east. The force in the forest was the least fortified but still had too many units in my opinion. Because of the restrictive terrain for the tanks, I decided to just push straight ahead with the onboard forces and bring the entire second force on board to flank the village. I had no intention of moving through the eastern forest. Four tanks pushed straight towards the castle and four towards the village. Smoke helped my men move forward in the middle and the New Zealanders were soon scrambling to reinforce the castle. The flanking force towards the village made slow but steady progress, and with the tank support, soon overwhelmed the defenders. Several failure to route kills thinned the ranks at both pressure points. The village fell by turn 4 (of 7) and my on board force had penetrated the castle's defenses in several places. My friend called it at that point.

Several things I think are key to a German victory in this scenario. First, smoke, smoke, smoke. That really covered my advance and cut my casualties. Second, I say as the Allies, don't bother with the eastern forest except for maybe a token force. My friend thought I might try an end around over there, but the route is too long and too restrictive. Third, I think the smaller forest clump near the center of the setup area on Board K is key. It was lightly defended so I was able to exploit it for the cover and split his forces. I thought my guys would take a real beating traversing the hill, but like I said, it turned out to be surprisingly easy. Even so, the scenario was fun and I'd easily recommend it for either side.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chaos Crossing SP203 Bridge crossing, or capture the approaches to the bridge scenario; Hungary 1944. I sent a small Soviet force straight from the north, then sent the balance in from the east with the IS-2s. I mostly kept the Stalins out of PF range and the one 'shreck shot missed. I was able to cut off the Germans as they fell back. The Hungarians got pushed back steadily by the flanking force. The Hungarian PaK 40 couldn't get a kill, even from the side and I took both buildings on the bridge approach for the early win.
I don't like to say I diced somebody, but I think that's what happened....

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My gaming partner and I played U23 Rehearsal for Crete to cap our foray into the the Balkans and Greece. I played it forever ago with him as a SL scenario. I think it was in COD. Fun due the randomness of the airdrop and risks associated with a glider landing. I think the Germans are perhaps too strong for the defending allies, however. I played as the Germans and gained superiority over board 4 relatively quickly. The airdrop landed exactly where I chose, board 40, but landed on the AA Guns (good) and a bunch of troops massed at the edge of board 40 and board 2 (not so good). I think the last time I paradropped in as the Germans was back in the SL days where they had to run and grab canisters that floated down separately. I think I kind of like that method better instead of running my troops around through open ground so I could get as high a dr modifier as possible. I mean I straight up ran in front of some enemy troops scrambling for invisible arms caches. I figured I may as well since the paratroopers are pretty weak without them. Took some casualties but "found" enough weapons to make a mess on that side of the bridge. Landing on board 40 tied up the AA Guns and the reinforcing troops on board 2. The stukas and the glider force easily took out the board 4 allied force. There were just too many Germans for the allies to overcome. We ended it well before the turn limit. Worthwhile to play, but it required a bunch of rules to read. Turn one is slow. The scenario picks up after that. I don't really remember the original version, but I think substituting board 40 for board 7 makes it easier on the Germans. Trying to paradrop on board 7 would probably be suicidal, but choosing board 40 as a landing site is a good gamble. Recommended, but it may not be worth it for all the rules involved unless you follow up with some Crete scenarios.

Last edited:

asloser

The Head Tuomo of the Finnish ASL Community
Reaction score
Country
llFinland
My gaming partner and I played U23 Rehearsal for Crete to cap our foray into the the Balkans and Greece.
This one is great fun. I played it several years ago, and lost as the allied.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This one is great fun. I played it several years ago, and lost as the allied.
Yeah, it's definitely trending pro-German, 79% in the limited amount of recorded plays on ROAR (14). I think the allies being so dispersed and the ability for the Germans to land so close to the bridge makes this scenario a real challenge for the allies.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The sniper didn't do any real damage. It was pretty much a chess game. I lucked out when I took the reinforcing pioneers up the middle straight to the tip of the wall where the storage tanks were. The FT HS was shot (no surprise) but the rest of the team scrambled over. The group caught the Russians who were in the process of going after the buildings cross the gully. Russian conceded after PREP FIRE in the last turn. A real interesting scenario in a tight place.

DB132 One Last Victory next (we are counting down)
Did you ever get any DBP played?

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Order 831 FrF 58 Oder River, '45. Lots of Ruskis, but they have a lot to do. I sent all my Soviets against the s/e corner of the village, then angled for the bridge. I was helped by a few missed PF shots. The SS FJ countered from the graveyard, and the church changed hands a couple of times. Down to the last CC phase, but the SS were very outnumbered at the end. Soviet victory. Good scenario

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Schindler's Limp BFP OS-3 Schmidt, Hurtgren Forest, '44 German attack on US held village. The German conscripts were awful... Several spent the whole game under Disrupt markers, and would not rally. This one really gets going on turn 5, when the Pz4s show up. Pouring rain took away smoke for the Germans, so the Infantry had to plod forward, taking their lumps the whole way. But, once the Germans were able to push forward, and had quit parking in front of bazookas, they made progress, taking 18 of the required 23 buildings. But, it was too late by then. US win.

The OBA is a big factor in this one, as it has been in most of the OS scenarios we played.

Reactions: Roy